I'm planning a solo trip, a first in Asia. My only other experience for the region is a group trip to Japan. As usual my trips have never been longer than 2 weeks so I'm not sure when I'll run out of steam here. I've been reading a few guide books and forum posts. I've made note have extra patience and always have places written down to show for directions/buying transportation tickets. : )
Travel style: I enjoy walking around, finding smaller streets and snacking on whatever looks good. Although I'm no expert, I appreciate interesting architecture and artwork. I like to take trips outside of the large cities to see rural areas and scenic hikes. I'm not big on clubs and a lot of drinking but I do like to have a drink with my meal. For accommodations-- budget friendly and clean within walking distance of sites. Prefer private room but willing to share as long as it's not a lot of people. I've used Airbnb in the past as the cost has been similar to hostels.
So is this itinerary looking crazy or what?
Day 1: Summer Palace
Day 2: Temple of Heaven park + Beihai Park
Day 3: Forbidden City + Tiananmen Square-- Is entering the square free? And then pay for different areas?
Day 4: Lama Temple + 798 Art Zone?
Other things... maybe another day added?
-Houhai (Back Lakes) - Nighttime walk
-Wangfujing Street - Night Market - for snacks
-Ghost Street (Gui Jie) - Show I eat here or just walk around?
-National Stadium / Bird's Nest at evening
-Hutong - walks
-Niujie Mosque (Ox Street Mosque)
-See a show?
Jianbing (savoury pancake)
Great Wall (2 days)
Jinshanling + Jiankou
[Train, 6 hours / overnight]
Datong to see Yungang Caves and Hanging Temple (1 Day)
[Train, 8 hours / overnight] Should I buy these tickets when in Beijing as well?
Pingyao (2 days)
[Train, 8-10 hours / overnight; There's a new (faster) train now right?]
Day 1: Walk/bike around the city walls + Great Goose Pagoda (outside area) + Shaanxi History Museum
Day 2: Muslim Quarter + Great Mosque + Bei Yuan Men 144
Day 3: Terracotta Warriors
Day 4: Hua Shan-- 1 day for hiking, stay overnight to see sunrise, then go back to Xi'an
At this point I assume a train will take at least a full day so I'm up for flying if the prices are not very expensive.
Day 5: Take a flight from Xi'an to Lijiang
Will I need to come back here to go to Hong Kong?
Tips-- Where to find and book tickets? What do I need to know about domestic flights-- Weight or size limit? Security? How early to get there?
Arrive and go to hostel near Tiger Leaping Gorge to rest up for the day before starting 2 day hike. OR skip it and continue to Dali... Save the hike for last?
Dali (1 day in town, 1 day bike riding around nearby Erhai lake/villages)
Day trips from Dali:
-Weishan / Weibao Shan
Shaxi / Qianshi Shan (One Thousand Lions Mountain)
Spend arrival day in town. Next day at Lions Mt and return to Dali
Train to Hong Kong?
Hong Kong (3 days)
I haven't researched much here. I'm sure there's a list a mile long. I'm thinking I'll be tired so I want a nice bed to catchup on sleep, maybe get a massage. Stuff my face with great food. Hop on a ferry to see the harbor views... wander around.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 VERIZON 1888:260:2909 password reset contact Tec*h supp0rt 24/7
- 2 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 3 Wat Arun
- 4 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 5 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 6 9 days in Japan in April
- 7 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 8 Question re. fees at BOM
- 9 best way to travel between Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Siem Reap, Cambodia
- 10 Best guidebooks for SE Asia
- 11 Spa Bangkok
- 12 Internet in SE Asia
- 13 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 14 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 15 Using a Starling Bank card in SE Asia
- 16 cooking school in Chiang Mai?
- 17 Anti Malarial tablets in SE Asia
- 18 need your help with japan itinerary
- 19 Japan in July with 20 year old
- 20 Hotel in Vang Vieng
- 21 A comprehensive guide for tourists visiting North Goa
- 22 4 DAYS in KERALA...
- 23 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 24 Travel options from Negombo to Mirissa
- 25 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year