How's my itinerary for Thailand, Vietnam, & Cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading on honeymoon to SE Asia this summer (June 25 - July 17). I've been reading up on all the forums and the info posted has been SO helpful. Thanks to everyone for their incredible trip reports and forum posts. I promise to write a detail report when i get back too!

We know we'll get some rain, particularly in Thailand and we're ok with that. I think in terms of rain - Vietnam should be better.

So here goes...We'll be in Asia about 3 weeks and here's what i've come up with so far:

BKK - 3 nights - Booked Tong for two days (Tigers, floating market, fishing village, orphanage, water monkeys). Bangkok Marriott Resort on points.
Chiang Mai - 4 nights including overnight treking (2 nights), elephant ride, bamboo rafting, hill tribe villages etc.
Hanoi - 5 nights (including 1 on a Junk in Halong Bay). Hilton Opera on points.
Danang - 4 nights ... beach & relaxation at Furama Resort.
HCMC - 2 nights - Renaissance Riverside on points.
Siem Reap - 3 nights Foreign Correspondents club... temples, temples, temples.
BKK - 1 night for our return.

Here's what i'm not too sure about: (1) Should we plan on including Sapa in our Hanoi segment or will it be too rainy (1st week July); (2) Is HCMC worth taking a peak at or should we skip it all together?; (3) Initially i had Nha Trang included on the itinerary (after Danang) which we eliminated. Those days we added to Hanoi... is this a mistake? (4) Suggested flight itinerary from Chiang Mai to Hanoi... I found Thai air for @ $670, but this seems high. Pacific has 2 layovers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And thanks again to all those in the forum, I can't stress enough how incredibly helpful all the comments/reports were in tailoring the trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM

You have been doing your research! Overall, your itinerary looks good. I have a couple of thoughts. First, don't add in any other destinations. If you decide to make changes, substitute one location fro another.

Several people I know really didn't like DaNang, though I've heard the resort is nice. So you could opt to trade DaNang for Nha Trang. I certainly wouldn't do both.

I wouldn't add in Sapa, only because of how much time you have. You don't want to be on the move all the time.

I do wish you had one more day in Siem Reap. It takes three full days just to see the major temples. You could take a day from Hanoi or cut HCMC to do this. (Personally, I'd cut a location as you are doing so much moving around.)

It's tightly scheduled, but do-able.

For a cheaper flight from Chiang Mai to Hanoi, you'd need to backtrack to Bangkok. Air Asia, for example, flies from Bangkok to Hanoi.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM

i think the original plan is perfect, except i would rather see you have more time in bkk.....can you cut one day from chiang mai?? and also cut one day from hanoi and danang....add them all to the end of the trip in bkk??

you will be so tired upon initial arrival in bkk that i fear you will not get as much out of the experience...

you will love the marriott....and you will adore tong...

may i suggest that you end the trip in bkk with a stay at the peninsula....they will have a great rate at that time of year....look at their web site....
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM

Hi NatQpens,
Thai Air Asia is doing Chiang Mai to Bangkok and Bangkok to Hanoi. And they should be a lot cheaper.
At my knowledge Thai Airways is also not flying Chiang Mai to Hanoi directly.
Nha Trang is nice but China Beach and especially Furama (maybe the best beach hotel in Vietnam) is better. So skipping Nha Trang seems ok.
The rainy season in Sapa lasts from May to November. You have already included Halong Bay from Hanoi, so I would skip Sapa.
Saigon is worth the 2 nights and the Renaissance is a very nice hotel just close to everything.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback I'll see what i can do on moving a couple more days to BKK. Found great rates on Air Asia! Fantastic... Can't wait for this trip.