Search

Eaton Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaton Hotel

Has anyone stayed at the Eaton Hotel in Hong Kong and if so how was it? We are looking at staying there in November for 4 nights after a 2.5 week tour of India/Nepal..Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:31 AM

I recommend you keep looking. We stayed there on a last minute trip to Hong Kong two weeks ago, and it was average at best, and doesn't have a great location.

The only advantage I can see to the Eaton is that it's next to the Temple Street night market - but unless you plan on going every day, that's not an overwhelming reason to choose it.

If you want to stay on Kowloon side, there are quite a few hotels in that price range near Tsim Sha Tsui, which is the first metro stop on Kowloon side and also where the ferry to Hong Kong island docks. It's a good area for shopping, lots of restaurants, etc.

The Eaton itself is getting run down; the fixtures in the room were aging, the bathroon was showing its age, and the curtains were FILTHY.

There are other good choices on Kowloon side - I'd recommend searching here for some other recommendations. We prefer to stay on Hong Kong side, but have in the past been happy with one of the Marco Polo hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui which is in the same price range as the Eaton (there are at least two Marco Polos on that side, and I always forget which is which - one is more expensive than the other, but the cheaper one is nicer than the Eaton).

Good luck!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:29 PM

We are traveling to Hk on Friday and will be staying at the Eaton for 8 nights.

I hope it is not as bad as Andrea says! I will let you know our opinion once we have stayed there awhile.

I have a feeling that I will still be checking this board and posting while on my trip!

One good advantage of the Eaton that I notices is high-speed internet connections in the room. Also, we got our room for around $60 a night, which seems to be a great price to me.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Well that is great, so you can let me know how it is before I book it!! I talked to someone who stayed there last year and they said it was really nice..So who know's for sure..I guess as usual, opinion's vary...They do have excellent rates...Well have fun and fill me in on the hotel and the rest of your trip..
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:50 PM

I should say, the Eaton isn't really BAD - it's just that for that price, there are quite a few other hotels in a better location (just one metro stop away) that get better reviews.

I had made a list from Fodors searches for budget hotels in Hong Kong, but our trip was last minute and everything was sold out. This was the only under-$100 relatively central Kowloon hotel I could get. (I was tagging along on an extension to husband's business trip, so he got to call the shots on location & price this time).

The room itself was clean, it was just that the fixtures were aging, and as I mentioned, the curtains were stained from years of use.

The location isn't necessarily bad, it's just one metro stop away from a much better (in my opinion) location with many hotels in the same price range.

The other hotels I was looking into (all in that same price range of around $60 -$70 US) were:

Empire (location even worse, though)
Kimberly
Royal Pacific
New World Renaissance
Kowloon Hotel

The Marco Polo we'd stayed in before was the Marco Polo Gateway - a very nice hotel (in a great location) for around $80 US.

A quick glance at asia-hotels.com reminds me why I DID choose it - it gets great reviews on that site. I guess my rating isn't so much against the Eaton, rather that my experience is that there are many other hotels in HK in that range that are better.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Well, that makes sense..I appreciate the input..My next choice is the Kimberly, I have emailed them but not yet heard back...I will also look at the other one's you mentioned...I have emailed other hotels and after 3 days have not heard back, so I cross them off my list!!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:35 PM

The reason we picked the Eaton over the Kimberly is something I read somewhere that the rooms at the Kimberly are MUCH smaller than at the Eaton.

We leave in 36 hours!!! so I will let you know our opinion soon. I figure after 8 nights we will get to know the hotel VERY well.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Let me comment on the locations again.

Eaton is right on Nathan Road, and close to the Jordan MTR station. It is very convenient for those who're willing to take buses. The ones that go South to Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry stops almost right in front of the hotel. With at least three bus lines #2, 6 & 7, you should find one every 2 minutes or so. It is also close to the cross-harbor tunnel buses, so from say Causeway Bay, you can take several buses (like #102, 112), and be back in the hotel in 10 minutes. Faster and cheaper than the MTR with less walk.

It is also within walking distance to the Temple St. market, and closer to the Mong Kok shopping/dining areas. Therefore, for someone who knows Hong Kong pretty well, and loves to eat and shop where the locals do, it's very convenient. In its surroundings are also many dim sum places that open as early as 6am (most 7am).

However, for tourists who are going to Hong Kong for the first time, or for those who're afraid or unwilling to take buses, Eaton means you have to take the MTR all the time. The other hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui will be closer to the shops and restaurants in that area. But keep in mind that some hotels like the Kimberley (or worse, the Empire) are a long walk from the Star Ferry, along very crowded streets. So you may not find them as convenient after the first 2-3 days.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:14 AM

I'm going to throw in my support for the Eaton. I've tried a few other hotels. ANd I decided to keep going back to the Eaton. It really depends on your budget. There are much nicer hotels than the Eaton in the $100+ category. However I'm young and poor, so I go for the <$100 hotels. I've also stayed at the Shamrock Hotel, the BP International House, and the Ibis North Point. All less than $100. Personally I like the Kowloon side better. Prices are cheaper, and one of the main reasons I go to HK these days is to do electronics/phone/camera shopping in Mongkok.

A frequent HK traveller friend of mine warned me away from the Kimberly the first time I was going to HK saying the rooms are extremely small. Athough you will find that most rooms in this price range are incredibly tiny, compared to US rooms. Another friend stayed in the Dorsett Garden and said the rooms were so small they kicked the TV while they slept. My smallest hotel room has been the Ibis North Point. My friend recommended it that year becasue it was brand new. It was very Japanese sized. Rock hard foam matress (which I actually liked), and a room so small I had no place to put my luggage. I needed to put it in the doorway at night, and left it on the bed when I left the room. The bathroom was modern, but so small, you could only turn around in a circle to shower, use the toilet and sink. Ok maybe a half step into the shower but that's it. The BP International House had ok rates and a nice view of the HK skyline. BUt the room was so sparsely decorated it made my dorm room in college feel like a luxury hotel room. I think my dorm room TV was larger, and my matresses and beds were way better in terms of comfrt and quality. The BP beds were painted particle board nailed together. ANd the matresses were those sponge display matresses at furniture stores that aren't meant to be used.

So the Eaton was a breath of fresh air for me. It actually had a nice glass atrium lobby like a US hotel. It felt business traveller oriented with the cafes and terrace. The room while still tiny compared to US standards was so much more liveable than the others I had stayed in. Location is fine for me. Its 3 blocks from the MTR, which is fast and convenient. Its far enough from the station that you don't get swept away by the sea of people usually found in the areas in the immediate proximity to MTR stations. My personal favorite dimsum and wanton noodle soup places are within 2-3 blocks of the Eaton. And I'm Cantonese Chinese-American, so I'm fairly picky about those things.

However to support Andrea expat, the last time I was there I was on an older floor, where it did feel a little more rundown and the decor was different than the other times I'd stayed there. But the other two visits I was in a very nice room, that was large and nicely furnished for the price range. If you can request it I say try to get one of the newer floors.

Also as a last tip, the hotel has this policy of only giving you rates either through a travel agent or other. The first time I went I booked through Asia-Hotels.com. After that I used my local HK travel agent. The hotel said I couldn't book using the travel agent, or their rates because my name was in the computer as being booked through non-travel agent means. Which meant that even though my travel agent got me a lower rate than the ASia hotel websites, it couldn't be booked in my name. The rooms were booked in a travelling companions name, but if I ever went alone I couldn't stay there and book the room in my name through my travel agent.

The Eaton is now my first choice when visiting HK now. It was the first hotel that didn't have tiny rooms, that were bad, and that felt like a real hotel. Not a youth hostel.

PS. The southern end of Kowloon, is nice, but there is no reason to stay there. The MTR can take you there in 5 minutes. Plus you don't have to deal with as much crowds.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:29 PM

DKO - what are the good dim sum restaurants near the Eaton that you like? Location, names, price, whether they have english/picture menues would be helpful. Like you, I am traveling on a budget. I want to have great food, but not spend a lot of money.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

I love traveller's that are on a budget, it makes it so much more challenging..But adding my 2 cents, we might like the location of the Eaton, as we love eating and doing things that the locals do, that is why we travel!! I like nice hotels too...but the Eaton is offering us a room with continental breakfast for 680 HK$ per night if we book 56 days prior to arrival..And I think that is a great deal...The Kimberly wants 1100 HK$ per night including breakfast..That is almost double..So unless SJLBK comes back with tons of negative reviews, I think we will take the Eaton..But I do have a question..Is it within walking distance with suitcases from the MTR station to the Eaton HOtel or should we get a transfer right from the airport to the hotel (it is way more expensive)...I was looking at the 3 day MTR Octopus Pass)
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:59 PM

We were just purusing the Eaton website one more time for laughs and noticed that they offer an airport shuttle bus for 120 HKD from the airport to the Eaton and a return trip for 90 HKD (all per person). $15 to get to the hotel seems pretty cheap to me if I don't have to deal with trains and luggage.

Though I am a budget traveler, there are a few things where I will pay a little more for convenience. Airport travel is one of them...not that $15 is very much. A cab ride from my home in Chicago to O'Hare is usually around $40, so this shuttle bus is a steal!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Realistically I guess you are right..I just calculated the cost of the shuttle in Canadian $$'s (I am from Canada) and it may not be worth the pain to cart the luggage around and plus we will just be finishing a 2.5 week tour of India and Nepal, so paying the extra just to get to the hotel may be worth it....Are you not buying an MTR pass?? The reason I was looking at taking the MTR to the hotel was because for 300 HK $ you get 3 days of unlimited rides including return airport transfers...I still am thinking about it!!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:57 AM

The A21 Airportflyer bus stops next door to the Eaton. It's HK$33/person. Doesn't take that much longer than a hotel shuttle, because those shuttles may make a few other stops before your hotel, and they may run only every 30 minutes. The A21 runs every 10-13 minutes.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:05 AM

And the A22 (HK$39) is even faster. The stop for Eaton is stop #4, which is the 2nd one in the city. Eaton is 4 very short blocks from that bus stop. It runs every 15-16 minutes.

I can guarantee you that it's the fastest way to get to Eaton from the airport if you don't have that much luggage, except for taxis or private limos. Faster than hotel shuttles (unless you're their only customers), faster than Airport Express.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi rkkwan where do you catch these buses at the airport and if using the local buses from the Eaton Hotel, can you buy a pass? What do you recommend for a 4 day stay regarding MTR/bus passes..Thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Tracy - I always take the Airportflyer when travelling to Hong Kong, and this is exactly what you do...

1. After getting your luggage and exiting the security area, head towards the center part of the arrival hall. Go get cash with a ATM card at any of the banks there. Bank of China, Standard Chartered, anyone. You'll need cash as the counter that sells you the store-value fare card don't take credit cards.

2. Head back towards where you exit the security area. On each side of the arrival hall is a large circular-shaped counter that sells Airport Express tickets. Buy a regular "Octopus" card from them, not an AE ticket. It's HK$150 each, and you get $100 value on it, plus a HK$50 deposit for the card itself. You can get that HK$50 plus any usused value on the card when you turn it in at the same counter before leaving HKG.

3. Now, walk back towards the center part of the arrival hall again, and towards the Airport Express train. You'll see a ramp on your right if you're facing the train platform, and there are signs for public buses there. Walk down the ramp and you'll see a big board to show you where each bus stops. The A21 and A22 buses stop are on the right side of the bus depot.

4. Hong Kong locals put their Octopus card inside their wallet, or bottom of their purses. It can be used for any transportation in the city, except taxis (maybe soon), and red 16-seat "light buses". [Green ones are okay.] You hold your wallet and purse towards the reader near the driver, hears a beep, read your remaining value, and move on. With MTR & KCR trains, you need it to get in and get out. With the trams on HK Island, you "beep" when you get off.

5. Like I said in my last 2 posts, you can take either the A21 or A22. For A21 ($33), you get off at stop #10 (Nathan Hotel). Eaton is right next door. If you take A22 (HK$39), you get off at stop #4, (Chi Wo Street, Jordan Road). The bus is travelling on Jordan Road (Eastbound) and the stop is right before a small side street called Chi Wo Street. You can either walk along Chi Wo Street, going North; or backtrack one block to walk along the more crowded Nathan Road. Eaton is 4 short blocks north of Jordan Road on Nathan Road. A22 is faster, but you have to walk a little more from the bus stop to Eaton.

There is LED display on the buses to tell you what the next stop is, in Chinese and English. However, if traffic is light and the driver is fast, the display may lag a tiny bit behind. If you're taking A21, you can actually see Eaton down Nathan Road before the bus stop in front of Nathan Hotel. If you're taking A22, your stop is the 2nd one in the city, and the bus stop is right after crossing Nathan Road, a wide and very busy avenue with lots of neon signs.

6. When your Octopus card is low on money, you can have it recharged at any MTR or KCR train stations, and I believe at most 7-Elevens. You cannot recharge it on a bus. I am not sure if you can do it with a credit card, as I've only done it with cash. You can use it for purchases at 7-Eleven convenience stores, Park'n Shop supermarkets, vending machines, everywhere... Remember to go back to the same counter at HKG to get the HK$50 deposit and unused value back.

There are no transport passes like most major cities of the world because public transports are run by various companies in HK. The only "tourist" card is from Airport Express/MTR, but they don't work on ferries, buses, trams, etc. And unless you take the Airport Express, there's no reason to get that. Just use the "Octopus" card like all the locals do.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Rkkwan, you are sure helpful!! I will be printing off your instructions and taking them along with me!! I had no idea that is how the Octopus card worked...How long does 100.00 HK $$ on the card last, and can you use the local buses to get to all the attractions in HKG such as Victoria Peak, etc, or is that a different story all together? Thanks again...We are not going until October but we have alot of planning to do because we are also visiting India and Nepal..It is sure nice though to talk to someone who has been to HKG before!! I may have more questions later..
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Tracy - Anytime...

About how long HK$100 will last, here are some really rough examples. The Airportflyer should be the most expensive trip you'll ever take. So, you'll have ~$60 left. From Jordan MTR (closest to Eaton), with a Octopus card, it's HK$3.8 for one stop to Tsim Sha Tsui, HK$7.9 cross harbor to Central, and HK$10 to the Causeway Bay shopping/dining area on HK Island. Buses along Nathan Road (like #2, 6 or 7) down to Star Ferry or up to Mong Kok (ladies' market, etc) is $4.3 on the air-conditioned bues. The non-A/C ones are $3, but you won't find many on those three routes.

From the Eaton, you can also take the cross-harbor tunnel buses from Gascoigne Road, on the other side of Eaton. ~HK$9.

The best deal of travelling in Hong Kong is the Star Ferry and the trams on HK Island. Star Ferry is $2.2 on the upper deck, $1.7 lower. The lower is more interesting, where you can see the crew throw the ropes, etc, and give you better vista. Plus you don't need to walk the steps. The double-decker trams is only $2.

To go up to the Peak, there are three ways, besides walking (about an hour from Central - steep but okay to do in November) or taxis. You can take bus #15, or green 16-seat "light bus" #1 (from the East side of City Hall, off the Star Ferry). But the best way is to take the Peak Tram. It's a very long unique funicular ride that's really worth it. HK$20 one-way, $30 R/T. Not cheap, as it's basically a tourist attraction and not public transport.

All of the above transportation takes the Octopus Card. Also, you can take ONE trip into the deposit. For example, if there's only $3 left on the card when you get on the bus last time, you can still take one trip on any transportation. But once you get into the negatives, you have to recharge the card. What I usually do is add HK$50 or HK$100 whenever I get below $15 or 20, just in case. Since you're only staying for 4 nights, you don't need to do that very often. Just make sure you have something left to use on your bus ride back to the airport.

And if you're going to the south side of Hong Kong Island, like Stanely, Repulse Bay and Aberdeen; or to the Big Buddha on Lantau, you need to make sure you have more money in your card as there are no MTR/KCR train stations in those area to recharge the card, the buses are a little bit more expensive (especially going to the Big Buddha), and you may need to pay for several fares on your trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Tracy - Here are some websites you may find useful for transportation in Hong Kong.

MTR is the subway train. It also operates the Airport Express train.
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/homepage/e_customer_index.php

KCRC runs two commuter-type train lines. The "East" line run straight N. from Kowloon into China. The "West" goes to the "new towns" in NW New Territories. With just 4 nights in HK, I doubt you'll use them often.
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/homepage/e_customer_index.php

There are 4 major bus companies in Hong Kong. Keep in mind that you may see the same bus numbers on either side of the harbor, but are totally seperate bus lines. Many of the three digital buses do run cross-harbor, and they are no duplicates on those routes.

Kowloon is served by KMB. From Eaton, you can take #2, 6 or 7 down through Tsim Sha Tsui to the Star Ferry. Or take #2 or 6 across Nathan Road to go north to Mong Kok. These are the main ones you'll use. They also run the cross harbor tunnel buses. #102, 104, 105, 112 stop behind the Eaton on Gascoigne Road.
http://kmb.com.hk/english.php

Citybus is the company that runs some buses on HK Island as well as the Cityflyer airport buses. [Sorry for calling them the Airportflyer earlier. The actual name is Cityflyer.] On HK Island, you'll use their #6 or #260 to go to Stanley & Repulse Bay.
http://www.citybus.com.hk/eng/main.asp

New World First Bus runs other bus lines on HK Island. The only one you probably may use is #15 to get up the Peak (or down).
http://www.nwfb.com.hk/

The other bus company is New Lantao, which runs buses on Lantau Island. If you want to go to Po Lin Monastery to see the Buddha, that's your bus company. #2 runs from Mui Wo ferry terminal, and #23 runs from Tung Chung MTR. You can also take their buses to the fishing village of Tai O. It's worth a day trip, and if you have 4 nights in HK, I recommend it.
http://www.newlantaobus.com/

First Ferry has service to Mui Wo on Lantau from Central:
http://www.nwff.com.hk/english/schedule/brs000000.asp

Other transportation you should use in your visit -

Star Ferry:
http://www.starferry.com.hk/new/

Peak Tram:
http://www.thepeak.com.hk/tram/location.html

And I can't find an official website for Hong Kong Tramway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -