Search

Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam, Help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam, Help!

Hello!

My wife and I are heading to SE Asia next May for two weeks and we need help!

Goals; 1- Beach for at least 4 days. 2- Angkor Wat 3- Day with elephants.

Plan as of now (please give advise on hotels/hostels, if this plan is awful & you have better ideas etc)

Start with 2 days in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Spend a day exploring and a day with Elephants

Next spend 2-3 days at Angkor Wat

End with an overnight cruise in Ha Long Bay and the last days at a beach in Northern Vietnam.

Questions;
1-will it be too cold in May to go sunbathing/enjoy the water in N. Vietnam? What are some good beach/island hotels in Ha Long Bay?

2- Mid-range $100 or so a night hotels near Angkor Wat?

Thank you so much for your insight!
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 09:40 AM

There are many wonderful trip reports here that will answer all/ most of your questions. You will also enjoy all the wonderful recommendations you will find.

It sounds like a wonderful trip but a lot of ground covering in a short time.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM

So you are planning Halong Bay as your beach stop? This is not the best beach. The water is pretty dirty. You would be much better off going to a beach in Thailand. If you are trying to save money, remember that you will need a visa in advance for VN, about $65 per person.

For a day with elephants, consider the Thai Elephant Conservation Center or the Elephant Nature Park, both near Chiang Mai. I wouldn't go to any of the other places that offer "elephant shows" and such.

Lots of good places to stay in Siem Reap at and below your price point. Look on some of the booking sites like www.agoda.com Do you have Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples? Get it before you finish your planning. It takes three full days just to see teh major temples. If you are really interested in the temples, you'll want more time.

Are you really planning on no time in Bangkok? I can't imagine going without spending some time in that amazing city. Much to see and do there.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!

We have been asking friends and looking up ideas and I think we are going to simplify.

Start with a few days In Bangkok. Then on to 2-3 days in Chiang Mai.

Next a few days in Phuket and end with a few days in Siem Reap!

Does this sound better?
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 05:52 AM

I think you will be much happier with a Thai beach than with Halong Bay.

This sounds like a reasonable plan, though it looks like you are moving every few days. I'd suggest a minimum of three days at each location so you have a chance to experience some of each place.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM

So, I've learned about "Seven Candles Guesthouse" in Siep Riep. I haven't been there yet, but want to go. $10-$30 usd per night (per their website) with tours at $60 private.

I'm going there, but probably, like you, not until 2013.

If you have time to read about The Ponheary Ly Foundation, you will find, that after you take a tour, you might like to volunteer while you're there.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 10:15 PM

I stay at the Arboretum Guesthouse in Siem Reap. Walking distance to Pub Street and very clean and friendly owners. ($18 per night) It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. Siem Reap is a smallish town and there is no real advantage in staying closer to Angkor Wat. Its only about 20 minutes by tuk tuk from town. Only downside is that there is no pool!

Try and make time to go out to Banteay Srei and Beng Melea which are a bit further from town. Banteay Srei is in a very different style to the other temples. The carvings are very detailed. They give you the opportunity to see some of the Cambodian countryside as well.

I think you are wise to restrict the number of places a bit. Vietnam is worth two weeks on its own. But then so is Thailand!