Bob/rhkkmkm & the rest, I need help on buying internal flight ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After going back and forth on which city we should visit, we decided Bali, SIN, Kuala Lumpur and BKK. Now the question is which city should we fly in first from Dallas and which city should we leave to come back to Dallas. We will need to buy internal tickets too. Is there a travel agent i can contact? please advise.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

We will be using American airline miles for the flight from and to DFW. American is afilliated with Cathy and Japan airline. But we need to buy domestic internal tickets. Which route should we choose for the internal ticket and which airline or travel agent do I need to contact? Thank you.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM

i use eddie at sea tours in bangkok....he will not have discounts within thailand but shoud do quite well for you on intra aisa flights....he saved me 50% on bkk-bali-bkk....on thai air...sea tours is an american express agency....he is saving me a couple of hundred dollars on my bkk-delhi flight next november...tehy accept credit cards with no up charge....

[email protected]

you might find your trans pacific flight is cheaper if you fly roundtrip to either of the 3 major cities...bangkok has the most flights i think....

but you might not save money in which case into singapore or K/L might make sense and out of bangkok, or visa versa....

malay air is really good and offers lots of perks internally and throughout asia...

singapore air is fabulous as you probably know....

northwest serves them all and dallas as well...

eva air is a favorite of bill from texas...this has you stop in taipai, which is worth a day or two on its own as well...

cathy pacific often has good deals and also offers flights to all of these cities on a package program....malay may have a similar program
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM

We used American FF to Bali. Cathay Pacific has a flight Hong Kong to Dempensar that arrives in Bali about 2:30 in the afternoon. From Bali, you could fly to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia. From Kuala Lumpur you could fly to Bangkok on Air Asia. Both of these flights can be made using their web site, and would be inexpensive. On your return from Bangkok, Cathay has a flight to Hong Kong that stops in Singapore. American allows an open jaw and a stopover. This would save you some $$.

Some people on this forum have had difficulties with Air Asia, but we have used them 4 times with no complaints.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Twofortheroad,

are you saying Cathy will let us stop in Singapore and stay for 3 or 4 nights and then fly back out with Cathy to Dallas? I thought Cathy only has a stopover in Hongkong. what is open Jaw mean? Thank you. Please tell me the specific question that I need to ask the American Airline Rep regarding the Cathy open Jaw stop over in Singapore going through Hongkong. Thank you
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:38 PM

basically open jaw means to fly into one place and out of another.....fly form dalllas to bangkok and then from singapore to dallas.....you get in between on your own (which sometimes can be quite expensive and sometimes quite cheap)...
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM

Open jaw means you fly into one place--Bali & return from another--Bangkok, as opposed to flying into & out from the same place.

If you bought your ticket from Cathay, they would only allow a Hong Kong stopover, but the rules for ff are different.

First, you need to go to the Cathay web site and get the exact routing. When you call for tickets, say, I want to go to Bali from Dallas using these flights --Dallas to Hong Kong on flight number ? to Bali on Cathay flight number ? I want to return from Bangkok to Hong Kong with a stopover in Singapore, using Cathay flight #? to Singapore for ? days and Cathay flight #? to Hong Kong, then flight # to Dallas. It's always easier if you tell them what flights you want, rather than I want this, tell me how I can do it. They usually appreciate the time you save them. Sometimes you get a bad agent who is not helpful. The best to do is try again with another.

My last American ff trip I flew into Jordan & returned from Cairo. We routed through Heathrow on British Air but the agent suggested routing through Madrid on Iberia. My husband then said--could we route through Barcelona with a stopover in Barcelona? The agent said yes--Cairo-Madrid-Barcelona-Madrid. So if they were willing to do this, you certainly could route Bangkok-Singapore stopover-Hong Kong.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:11 PM

I should add that you get the best results when you can be flexable with your dates.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Bob and twofortheroad:

Thank you much and I appreciate your time and effort.
Regards,
Sandy/clear
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Twofortheroad,
Using Cathy's fligt #,coming back from Bangkok to Hong Kong with a stopover in Singapore,and then DFW,
1)Do I check the BKK to SIN flight # on cathay and then 2)check the flight # from HKG to DFW so that I can tell the agent? Sorry, I wasn't sure how I check the coming back flight from Bangkok to Hongkong with a stopover in SIN and then HKG to Dallas, Please explain. Thank you.

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:39 PM

First pick the Cathay flight # Bangkok to Singapore. I believe there is only one flight, the others go directly to Hong Kong. Then pick the Cathay flight # from Singapore that has the best connection for your flight from Hong Kong to DFW.

1. flight # Bangkok - Singapore
2. flight # Singapore- Hong Kong
3. flight # Hong Kong - DFW
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

hi twofortheroad:
Thank you again for your well explained descriptions. I assume, you went to Bali, Kuala, SIN and BKK before. Which hotel did you stay at the above location and what did you think of Kuala compare to SIN? I'm wonderding should we skip SIN or Kuala and add Beach location such as Phuket or Langkawi? Please share your thoughts.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi twofortheroad & Bob/rhkkmk:
I typed in your name on the forum and read your comments, WOW you have been to all the places i want to visit Bali, SIN, BKK, Kuala , Langkawi, Samui or phuket. If you have to rearrange your iteniary, which city would you keep and which city would you skip. I love eating,some sightseeing, shopping/browsing and spa services. Thank you!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:44 AM

bkk is always #1 for us in the whole world....we also loved bali... singapore is a natural add on to bali and an easy access area on the way to or from bali...

K/L is only ok...been there done that...if i had to drop something K/L would be the place

i would prefer to do the following fly into Sin, fly to bali, fly to bkk and fly home from bkk...

of course it all depends on how much time you have....for me 3 weeks would be a minimum for this type of trip
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

twofortheroad:
I thought i had my mind made up, I read that u have been to Pankor laut- sp, oh my, now is getting more confusing( where to visit) and my husband mike will yetll at me. We have 3 weeks including the weekend and traveling time from DFW.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Hello Bob,
Mike say I should call u up in Boston and talk to u , I told him that people doesn't like to give their phone # for so many reason. Anyway, since u love Marriott, I looked at the website and the grounds seem beafutiful, What do you like about Marriott, I read some reviews about the junior suite bathroom being old and etc. Do they have a nice spa and gym? Thank you.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:25 AM

This is difficult for me to answer. It all depends if you want a beach rather than a city. I would not do all 4 cities & a beach in 3 weeks. Some people are happy to touch down in a lot of places for a few days each, we prefer the opposite. I would never tell you that my way is best, but it's best for me. I think you have to narrow down your choices & decide how you like to travel--to see a lot of places breifly or a few places in depth.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you twofortheroad, just looking at your beach/pictures and dwelling! Now we skip one city and add the beach, u have been to pangkor laut, Datai, tanjung rhu or would you go to Phuket instaed, which one do u like for good food, beautiful beach & spa services? I guess, Datia and tanjung rhu would be easier to get to from SIN to Langkawi (roundtrip). Also BKK to phuket (roundtrip).
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Sorry, I am just jumping in here and have not seen your full itinerary but I am wondering if you can work your way north or south using one way tickets and not backtracking RT through a major city, for example Bali-Sin-Phuket-Bkk.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gloria,
Frist time I looked, I missed the Racha pictures on the website, wow, what a wonderful pictures that Max put together, I'm overwhelmed and Racha beach looks so nice, how do u get to Racha from Phuket? and also Siam beach . Is there a nice resort at Siam beach? Do you like Racha beach better then Lankawi resort? I noticed Max has a phone # on the website to call? I wasn't sure i can call or not? thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -