Kamakura Day Trip

Search

Kamakura Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kamakura Day Trip

Is it worth spending a half day (about four hours) in Kamakura? If we travel there by train how difficult is it to get to the main things to see? We are spending time in Tokyo and 2 days in Nikko, and I've heard conflicting views on Kamakura. Is it worth the trip? Also, do you think you could combine it with the Fish Market in the morning, followed by the Japanese Garden that is close by, then leave tokyo around 10.30am to to Kamakura, and planning to leave Kamakura by 3pm. How do you think this would go? Thanks, Lissa
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

I also have a second option, we are thinking about hiring a car to drive from Tokyo to Nikko. My DH is willing and I guess almost looking forward to driving in Japan. If we picked up the car at 9am and drove to Kamakura, spent four hours or so, then drove to Nikko (to arrive before 6pm) do you think this would work? He's a very experienced driver, and we're quite good at following directions... Well, he is anyway We would then have a day and a half in Nikko (First day Shrines and bridge and kinugawa onsen [worth the trip out there?], second day drive to Lake Chuzenji for half day, then drive back to tokyo arriving before 4pm.

Any advice or recommendations about this would be very helpful, I feel like I'm finally getting a picture of our trip.

Thanks again, Lissa
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Hi Lissa,
I am in Japan now (Kyoto). I went to Kamakura for a half-day from Tokyo a couple of days ago, and really enjoyed it. It's such a great contrast from the city - a very quiet town with some nice temples.

Having a car would be a huge advantage, I think, because the one downside for me in Kamakura was how much walking was involved between all the temples. It got quite tiring because it was a hot day. And there are LOTS of stairs! There are busses but they didn't seem to be running very frequently.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

ttt Anybody got any opinion on the above? Thanks, Lissa
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM

Take a look at this for info about Kamakura:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/

Figure out what you want to see and where to go. You can then check hyperdia for train times. As far as getting around Kamakura I suggest just taking a taxi, if your objectives are spread out.