Search

25 yr old Female Solo First Time Traveler!-- Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25 yr old Female Solo First Time Traveler!-- Thailand

Hi everybody!

I have never traveled outside of the US. There are so many places I would love to see but Thailand and Bali are at the top of my list. I am in the very beginning stages of planning an adventure. I have decided that I would like to take on Thailand.
I am a massage therapist. I love culture, art, people... I want to be immersed in it all. I also want to experience village people, the natural world of Thailand... maybe even find some volunteer work for a bit.

I am not much help in providing an exact time frame because I am willing to spend up to a few months... I would love advice on that as well.
Basically what anyone believes an ideal thailand trip would be for me considering the brief description of my personality.

I am wondering if anyone can offer any insight ! Even just basics!!
I would love to hear it all!!
I do not get a chance to travel much.. have to worry about budget and such., so I want to make the most of this trip.

Thank you so much!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest, since you're traveling a long way to get to Thailand, that you go to Bali too. It's easy to get to from Thailand being pretty much in the same neighborhood and it sounds like you've got the time.

I waited too long, lots of trips to Asia, before someone convinced me to go to Bali and it was time lost in a beautiful place. Much smaller than Thailand you could get a good feel for the place without stealing too much from Thailand. With a gentleness in common and both places easy on the budget I think it could be a perfect trip.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM

One of several airlines, one I've used and like, flying from Bangkok to Bali (Denpasar):

http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/home.page
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM

If you want to stay in Thailand for more than 4 weeks (28 days) you will need a visa in advance or will need to do a visa run.

Most people heading to Thailand go to three main areas: Bangkok, northern Thailand and a southern beach location.

Start by getting a good guide book. Lonely Planet has one, Fodors has one. Then sit down and read it. AS you find places/activities that interest you, start researching them on the web. For budget travelers, Thorntree and www.travelfish.org are good places to look.

Also, at the top of this page, there is a drop-down menu. CHoose Thailand and it will list all of the recent posts on Thailand. Read some other's planning threads and trip reports as this will also give you ideas.

WHile it is lovely that you want to do volunteer work, it takes a different type of visa to do volunteer work. You would need to find an organization willing to take you on, and they would do some of the paperwork to sponsor you. Beware of "volunteer opportunities" where you pay to volunteer. These are mostly prefit-making companies.

Consider whether you'd like to visit the temples of Angkor near Siem Reap, Cambodia. It can be a marvelous side-trip and will give you the opportunity to get two more weeks visa-free entry to Thailand if you go overland, or anther 28 days if you fly. And, you might think about volunteering for the PLF, a charity founded by a Fodorite. see www.theplf.org
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

thank you both so much!! I appreciate the responses. i will certainly look into everything you have mentioned. So, if I traveled to Cambodia from a couple weeks in Thailand, then back into Thailand it would "refresh" my visiting time without a visa?

Yes, have thought about doing Bali as well..
How long do you think would be necessary to see all these places without feeling incredible overwhelmed and rushed?

I will read through the other forums.
Again, thank you!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:58 PM

You don't have to see everything in a country to feel like you've been there and know it a bit. In fact, I suggest you lean toward spending more time in fewer places. I feel much more in tune with a place if I spend a certain amount of time doing virtually nothing. Which is to say nothing planned. Walking & hanging out. Others might have a list and feel obliged to tick them all off. Whereas I often have a list and go when I'm moved to and not when I'm not. It's purely a matter of style. And the slow going may come with time, I'm not sure. I just know it works for me.

Depending on the number of locations in each place I'd begin by thinking in terms of twice the number of weeks in Thailand as in Bali. So maybe 6 weeks in Thailand and 3 in Bali. I find I often enjoy a place most if I'm not locked into an itinerary but move on when I feel the impetus.

You can save money on a ticket to somewhere else by buying in advance and then wander a bit before and after the flight, taking advantage of advance planning plus doing what you feel like doing when you open your eyes in the morning. SE Asia is one of the better places in the world for a less structured way of travel.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:35 PM

Yes, if you leave Thailand and return, you will get a new visa-free entry - you will get two more weeks if you enter overland, 4 weeks if you fly back into Thailand. So if you want 6 weeks in Thailand and don't want to get a visa in advance, you'd have to leave after 4 weeks and go somewhere else, then return. You can purchase a bias on arrival when you fly to Bali.

I agree with Mme. Perdu, choose some places to visit and stay a while. Even when I am traveling from place to place, I try to do so deliberately. I figure if a place is worth stopping, it is worth three nights (which is only two days). I spent a week in Siem Reap and would have enjoyed more. My first trip to Bali was 2.5 weeks. My first trip to Bangkok was 9 days, my next trip to Thailand was three weeks. We can help you work with what time you have.

Take a look at weather patterns, as Thailand and Bali are affected by different monsoon systems.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 08:47 AM
KSC

Hi!

I lived in Thailand for about 5 months and really, really enjoyed myself. My home base was Chaing Mai (which in in Northern Thailand) and I always felt very safe there. I was 21 when I lived there in 2009. Thai's are generally very friendly but little English is spoken (we never had a problem, though) We were taking Thai classes and knew the basics (they were just happy we were trying!)

My sister came over and we traveled to BKK (which is an enormous city!!) it is very spread out as well. We took taxis and be careful because often times the prices the quote you is for ONE person. For instance we agreed on 300 Bhat and when we got into the taxi he said 300 Bhat PER PERSON..so we had to find someone else..no biggie, just we aware.

We also went to the beaches...the Phi Phi Islands are AMAZING and worth the trip...Phuket is too touristy..It felt grimey, dirty and too crowded...if I went back I would stay somewhere else..

I never went to Koh Chang but I heard it was too busy and dirty.

Thailand is truly a gem! We also stayed for a week with a Lisu Hill tribe and it was great