Free flights to Japan?

Search

Free flights to Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Free flights to Japan?

I was actually looking for info on hotels in Pecs, when I found a link to this on LP: http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2...ghts-to-japan/

I haven't checked for any other reports, but it is intriguing....
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! That is interesting. We would love to return to Japan but what is stopping us is not the devastation caused by the tsunami but the strength of the Yen . We would now get around half the rate against sterling that we got in 2008 which makes Japan very expensive at least for those of us from the UK.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 01:16 AM

Read that too thanks for posting links to apply

seem to be sadly lacking on article.

YEN strength also an obstacle for me in the US

have not been there recently would love to go

on someone elses money.

hostelbookers.com good deals on hostels in the past for me.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 02:29 AM

It's an idea at the moment, subject to approval of the appropriate government agencies. If it happens, supposedly applications will be opened in April for summer 2012 travel.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Heya thursday:

This part is interesting:
<i> In return for a free flight, participants will be asked to share their experiences in a report to be published online. Online applications for the promotion will open next April, if all goes according to plan, and the agency will select the candidates by early summer.</i>

Makes me think that those 'applicants' with a track-record of lengthy trip reports in Fodor's and a website dedicated to travel might be first in the line. I think we should all stay on this and follow through.

Next GTG, Japan 2012 - on, as quo says, their dime.

Do you think they'll spring for business class?
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Google will not be your friend when the tourist board auditions for Pollyanna goes to Japan.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM

I am all over this......its now my plan for the next Fall 2012 Japan foray for us.....wonder if they will pick up the BKK GTG section of the flight plan?

thursday, they had this story headlining one of our local tv newscasts here in the islands on Thursday(coincidence???). Said that not only that the applicants had to share their experiences in a report online but also that their planned itinerary would play a major part in the selection.

Kim has it right, the plans only been introduced to the Diet(Japan's Parliament)and awaiting approval by next March but am hopeful it will be passed in some form. The newscast in Honolulu also showed video of JNTO's headquarter offices and JAL planes taxiing at the airport in the background so am assuming JAL will be part of the deal on the transport side.

dogster, with your writing style I would assume first class seats are in their plans for you. See you in Tokyo next November!

Aloha!
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM

Yes, I also saw this in the news. Fall 2012 sounds good to me!
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM

You have to be very determined and kinda strange to search and find the dirt on me in Google, Marija - although - as has been revealed by <i>The Fodor's Stalker</i> - there's plenty there... from seventeen, eighteen years ago. I was quite a lad. Oddly, I don't regret a second.

Alas, as Doggy's doodle fell off years ago there's little recent dirt to dish.

But I divert. Let's simply put a group application in. We can fill their quota from in here. Problem solved. Now who here has Diet[ary] connections?

<i>I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so...</i>

As you see, I'm already packing.

And a special cheer to Thursday who, despite being God only knows where, plucked this out of the ether.

Hip Hip..
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Hooray. We can all attend the Boston GTG in Oct. and continue on to Japan from there.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dogster - this GTG might be more achievable than the love boat!

Right now I am here: http://viladrago.com/ in room 5 with a fabulous view, but it's really too late in the year, very windy, and cold at night. The super pricey and exclusive island closed a week ago, and the Drago closes tomorrow. Did mean I got some lovely beaches for free. Am headed to Kotor and then Bosnia.

Where are you? At sea?
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM

me too... or should i say us too... GTG or naught... a free flight to asia not using points would make my year...

thursday and others, kim especially, keep us posted...
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM

Nope. In Luxor. Tomorrow I sail on this:
www.nourelnil.com/photo_gallery.htm

Let's hope for a little death on the Nile... better still, an upgrade to those panorama rooms.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Looks very lux. Going swimming, I see....
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM

No.

Three words.

Bilharzia-transmitting snails. They will, very very slowly, slide up your legs and breed where the sun don't shine. Further details will have me banned.

I will watch the<i> others</i> swimming while feeling slightly stupid - but safe and superior, just the same.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM

No need to look far back. Be sure to attach Death by Azamara to your application.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM

I can only think of a couple of thousand people who were offended by that.

Anyway, the Japanese Government is famous for its tolerance of free speech. If I have to perform a minor act of seppuku at the end to say sorry, well, so be it.

Pfft. I've done it before. Just like going to the dentist.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM

I wasn't offended dog......just jealous. You've lived a life most of us only dream of living.....

When I first saw this report I kinda chuckled to myself remebering the abuse I got from some here for mentioning how important their trip and tourism was to Japan's economy.....oh well. I hope we all have a chance to win!!

Aloha!
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM

aloha thursday, thanks for the link.

ht, i wonder if all of us could fit into the little pub where we, er, i poked a hole in the window, by accident.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 09:50 AM

ken, we might have to sit rhkkmk on the outside of Ganchan or make a few new holes but everyone else will fit. The place would never be the same,lol

Aloha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -