Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Calling nagiffag, CanadaKate & Others -- English Language Children's Bookstores in Shanghai

Search

Calling nagiffag, CanadaKate & Others -- English Language Children's Bookstores in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nagiffag, CanadaKate and others --

Could you direct me as to where to buy english language children's books in Shanghai? The ages are 4 - 7, pre-school and kindergarten.

My cousin in the U.S. is taking her 2 kids to stay with her parents in Wuxi this fall for a few months. The kids (and grandparents who retired from Toronto) speak/read English and love books. I will be visiting them and instead of lugging books with me, I' d like to get some in Shanghai. Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Shanghainese,

The Lotus Supermarket near our motel had some English language books as did a book store we found by accident a block or so from the Westin Bund Centre hotel. In both cases, however, the books were more instructional (how to learn English) than narrative. So you might still need to bring some books with you ... maybe paperbacks so they don't weigh so much?

Sorry I can't offer more precise assistance.

CanadaKate
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, CanadaKate!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Sorry for the delayed response, Shanghainese. I've just returned from home leave in the US. Rented a house by Lake Michigan which was fabulous.

I haven't bought children's books, but I'd go to Garden Books. They do have a children's area so I assume they have children's books there. (Good ice cream too!) 325 Changle Lu near Shaanxi Nan Lu. ph: 5404-8728 open 10a-10p.

Shanghai Foreign Languages Bookstore, 390 Fuzhou Rd near Fujian Zhong Lu, ph:2320-4995 has a good selection so I assume they'd have children's books too. Maybe Shanghai Classics Bookstore down the street at 424 Fuzhou near Hubei Lu. ph: 6322-3985.

Other options I see in City Weekend...
- Dandelion Children's Bookstore, Rm A-106, 189 Qingtong Lu near Zhangjiang Lu, Zhangjiang. Ph: 5855-5385, 137-0170-9009. Open 9am-8pm. "In need of Dr. Seuss and Clifford for some sleep-tight bed time stories? Come and find the classic books that you and your children shouldn't miss."
- Bologna, Rm 2608. Mp/4 Lane 398 Dapu Lu (near Quxi Lu) www.bolognabode.com. "stocks children's English books from the U.K."
- Chaterhouse, Shanghai Times Square, 99 HuaiHai Zhong Lu near Pu'An Lu. open 10a-10p.

You should be able to find a decent selection amongst the above. Good luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

nagiffag -- Thanks very much, I've been to Garden and SFLB, just never looked for children's books, will check the others.

Glad you could escape the heat and humidity and enjoy a home leave in Lake Michigan. Nutella and I will be in Shanghai the first weekend of November, will post a new thread later next month for a GTG, hope to meet you!