The fish Markets in Tokyo.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone shed some light on visitng this place ? I don't mind an early start, it just looks very interesting. What are the logistics and anyone elses experiences I would appreciate.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM

Best to go early in the morning so you can see it in action.

These links might be helpful.
http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/youkoso/welcom_e.htm

This one is the open day calendar http://www.tsukiji.or.jp/calendar/calendar.html
...only in Japanese, but months are written like this 1?is January, 2??is February and so on. Days shaded pink are days that the market is closed (every Sunday and another day in a month). Dates with the number in red are national holidays, and unless the box is shaded pink, the market is open as usual.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:48 AM

Hmm...no Japanese text appears where I put it. Sorry about that.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:27 AM

You can no longer see the auction, but go anyway. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. It's a busy working market, so be careful and be aware that you're in their place of work.
That said we received lots of smiles as we walked through the aisles. Go early, but since you can't see the auction - 7ish should be fine. Be sure to eat some sushi on the way out. It'll be the freshest you'll ever have.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:03 AM

Yes, be sure to grab sushi at one of the local places that surround the market. I cannot remember the name of the place I ate, but it had the longest line. You get the chef's menu and as they make the sushi they place it in front of you to enjoy. What was so great about the experience is seeing how much pride the sushi chefs take in watching the patrons enjoy the delicious sushi. Watch out for the uni - not my favorite, but definitely something you should try!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM

The nearest subway station is Tsukiji on Hibiya Line. I think the first train should start running sometime around 5:30? Agree 6-7am are good time, post-auction but still busy enough to see all those displays. Bring a good camera and comfortable footwear, and remember not to get in the way of the tradesmen.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM

You can view the auctions from designated special areas, or you can get a special permit to be able to go in if you really want to. Watching from designated areas is fine. Auction ends very early though, by 7:00 AM. After the auction, the fish is packed and shipped with amazing speed and precision..quite interesting.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, as yet I haven't booked a hotel, when I do I will be back on for more advice !!