Search

Bangkok Int'l Airport @ 1am. Help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Int'l Airport @ 1am. Help!

Hi guys!

We took a cheap airfare, and we will be arriving in Bangkok next week at the most convenient time of 1am.

We booked a hotel in the Sukhumvit area. (Imperial Tara)

I understand that if we take a taxi, it would be most expensive (?). May we ask expert bangkok travelers if there is an airport shuttle at that hour , or if there are any other cheaper modes of transport?

My wife will be joining me, and we are in the late 20's. 1 pc luggage each.

Thanks!!!!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 04:14 PM

I don't know who's telling you the taxi is expensive. The 'airport taxi' service is around double or triple the metered taxi rate, but a regular metered taxi is easy to get at the airport at any time of day. Simply walk past all the touts, exit the terminal building, and look for the taxi queue. A taxi to the Sukhumvit area should run you around 350 Baht. Note that you pay the meter plus 50 Baht when taking a taxi from the airport.

Note I said 'ignore the touts'. A lot of people will be waving 'Airport Taxi' signs in your face as you exit customs. Walk past them, and anyone else who offers you a taxi.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael for the quick reply!

Will do that.

So the taxi fare will be 300 baht + 50 baht for the meter.

Btw, if you had 4 nights in BKK, where would u spend them, as a local.

I don't wanna do the touristy Patpong or the requisite River Dinner Cruise. We'd probably like to go where locals have meals. Probably 1 or 2 nights, we can splurge a bit! =)

Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM

take a look at harominiqe down near the river....great food, moderate to inexpensive...off new road

the loft at the central chitlom dept store, floor 7 is fantastic...great for lunch...

all along sukhumvit there are many places as well...

i'm guessing at 2AM the ride will be quick and be much below 350...maybe even below 300...there are some tolls too---i think you have to pay 65B maybe for those...

taxi is the only way to go!!

the taxi will not have change for even a 100 so when you get cash at the airport get some coins, and some 20's and 50 B notes....
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM

what cheap air deal did you get??
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM

TF
Lots of flights arrive at that hour of the night in BKK. You will not have a problem getting a taxi at the airport. They are right outside the door as you exit the airport. Just stop by the taxi table and request your destination.

On my last trip (February 08) there was a flat rate which included the tolls. I think it might have been 400 baht, but I can't remember exactly and didn't write it down. I try to keep accurate journals but somehow slipped up on that detail.

Anyway, DON'T pay 1000 baht for a "limo"... it isn't necessary.

Carol
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM

limo is necessary if you have quite a bit of luggage, like more than two medium to large sized cases...
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM

OK, just re-read my notes. I paid the driver 300 baht, which included a very good tip! That was at midnight, arriving in BKK. My hotel was also in Sukhumvit area (Adelphi Suites on soi 8), so similar distance compared to your own trip from the airport to hotel.

Your hotel appears to be fairly well located, although maybe a bit "into" the soi from Sukhumvit. Phrom Pong BTS station is where the Emporium shopping mall is located. It's a nice mall, upscale mostly. You will see some Thais shopping there, but most Thais go to MBK, which is at the National Stadium BTS station.

Enjoy your trip. BKK is a fabulous destination! I'll make my 13th trip in April/May '08 (and YES, I was just there last month as well).

Carol
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!

We've actually been to the Loft, and it was amazing!

Cheap airfare from Manila to BKK is via Cebu Pacific Air.

Roundabout Php 4,700 round trip.

Last question re food :
Any particular resto that is clasified as 'must eat' for locals?

I know in Manila, there is President Restaurant in Chinatown, or Aristocrat for the chicken, or Spiral for the wondefrul Buffet.

Cheers!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM

TF
That's a tough one. Most Thais I see are eating street food and not so much in restaurants. But, that said, there are places like Tawandang German Brewery (almost ALL Thais, hardly any farangs) where there is great food, beer, and excellent live entertainment.

My Thai friend Maeng cooks great Thai food for me if I go to the Pickled Liver, soi 11, behind Cheap Charlies and Zanzabar restaurant. Pickled Liver is a "British Pub" sort of place, mostly ex-pats, but Maeng is an excellent cook.

There is a street vendor, in the Pratunam area, who sells chicken at all hours of the night. His place is always busy, and folks say it is fantastic food. He is located on a street corner across from Pratunam Center (mall), in the direction of Gaysorn Plaza (mall). Wish I could give you more/better information on this place. I've not tried it. DS has. He says it's excellent. The guy doesn't start cooking until about midnight...

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Carol are you saying that all taxis from the offical taxi desk are a flat rate now. It always used to be meter + airport fee of 50 baht and tolls of 65. The 300 baht flat rate to your hotel was an execellent rate. I assume thar included everything but tip,
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM

TravelFreak: you're getting advice from the best and the brightest on Thailand!

Just wanted to add that you should download a map with the hotel location or, better have the name of the hotel, written out in Thai.

I recently paid 400 baht from my hotel in Sukhumvit to the airport, this was a set fee and I paid the toll, then deducted the toll amount from the total of 400 baht at final payment.

Be sure to change money at the airport before getting the taxi.

Have a great trip! Wish i were with you!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

hi easytraveler,

how i wish this is a leisure trip. its actually for business, as we are attending Victam Asia.

That's why we could only probably have nights free (4 nights), so we'd want to have some good meals.

We found shopping in Chidlom (?, where the Loft is found) quite good, we'll probably sneak in a few hours there.

What time does these malls close?

Thank u so much!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Scotters, several people have recently posted that they got flat rate taxis from the taxi desk at the airport. And they all quoted 400 baht. So I'll be interested in others' reports about this, since this must be a recent change.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Yes we went twice in and out of Bangkok airport a few weeks ago - it seemed to be that this flat fee was the norm from the airport (to the airport is cheaper). We paid 400 baht inc taxes.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

So 400 baht it is.

Will let you know in 2 weeks how much it really costs, though I might change a few hundred baht inside the airport first.

Many many thanks for all your help!

Cheers!
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Four or five weeks ago I got my taxi from the sign up desk, outside the arrivals hall, near the curb. The taxi desk clerk took the hotel address, the fare was a meter charge, plus 2 tolls (65baht) and the 50 baht surcharge!

Still the same way it has been except that the taxi desk is outside the arrivals hall and not on the level below.

If the driver asks for the toll money that is okay, just don't pay him a second time!

Sometimes the driver (late at night or early in the morning) will not take the toll road and you save on the toll - depends on traffic!

Yeah, have small change for paying for taxi rides if you expect any change back.

Also - the price for the taxi is for everyone you can stuff in safely - not per passenger! Around 350 baht is okay.

Like the poster said IGNORE THE GAGGLE OF TOUTS IN THE ARRIVALS HALL - go out to the curb taxi desk to set up your ride into town!

I like my hotels to be near the Skytrain routes so I can use it to get around town.

A hotel at half the price of the Imperial Tara is pretty good too!

My hotels are in the 1000 baht or less and they always have air, hot water, private toilet/bath, safety box, cable TV, maid service and usually in a refrigerator. Other cities even much cheaper for the same thing!

Good luck..
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Hi!
A few weeks ago I paid around 300 Bht for a ride Suvarnabhumi airport to Sai Tai (Southern bus terminal), which is imo farther than Sukhumvit.
At 1am its not necessary to take the highway.
If you want to avoid the 50 Bht go up to the departure level and take a cab from there.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Jed

50 BHT is now about $1.63 USD. Is it worth it to take the highway?

Also, as easytraveler says, "Be sure to change money at the airport before getting the taxi."
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM

don't ever not take the highway!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -