BANGKOK GTG'S--Nov/Dec '06

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some months ago we talked about hosting a couple of GTG's in Bangkok....

three such groupings have come together....i will speak to the first and last, and brad in bangkok with speak to the one on nov 25--details to follow..

firstly---

on monday november 6, 2006 some of us will gather at the elephant bar on the 2nd floor, main building, of the marrriott resort and spa at 4:30PM.....the venue is cocktails on a cash bar basis... come join us and meet kathie, rhkkmk, bradinbangkok, michaelbkk, cadwex, rsidhu, jamesA and maybe even orgy, plus others...
it will be very informal and you can just drop by to say hello, have a drink and even a laugh...
the easiest way to get to the hotel is to take their free shuttle boat from taskim hotel shuttle boat pier below the taskim station at the end of the skytrain....the boat runs every 15 minutes...

secondly----

on friday, december 1, 2006 several of us will gather at the Tongue Thai Restaurant for dinner at 7PM....the restaurant is located directly behind OP Place shopping complex, which is directly behind the Oriental Hotel ON THE RIVER....they serve excellent Thai cuisine at moderate prices....this should be lots of fun....
again you will have a chance to meet some of the regulars from this board like gpanda, kurosake, rhkkmk, bradinbangkok, halliburton and maybe michaelbkk and orgy...we would love to see you too......

reservations are not necessary for either of these gatherings as they are just drop in venues....

COME JOIN US AND SAY HELLO!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:47 AM

That'll be a really fun group. Too bad I won't get to BK until later! Happy Travels!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

guen--i think there are tons of people in bkk later, why don't you put a GTG together??
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I might just do that since I'll be there for three weeks...maybe do a couple of GTGs depending on when people are there. Unfortunately, I'll miss Isis and her S.O. since I think we'll miss each other by a few days. Last December we got together and Rizzuto was there too. It was a nice evening. I already knew Isis and S.O. from the Hawaii GTG...and Rizutto knew me from the Boston GTG. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make either of them now since I am heading to Chiang Mai earlier than I had originally planned and I head home on Nov. 30th.

Will anyone be in Bangkok between Oct. 31st and Nov. 2nd?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:21 AM

i hope orgy finds time to get his nose out of the books to see this post.

brad, have you been to mings new place on soi 11? do you know where it is? i would like to drop by for some of her excellent garlic prawns.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM

It doesn't look like any of those work with our schedule. We fly from Seattle on 11/3 arriving in Bangkok late on 11/4. (Kathie is this when you're going and on NWA?) Then we leave the next day for Siem Reap and arrive back in BKK the evening of 11/7. Will be there a few days then on to Kanchanaburi, Sukothai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and back to Bangkok on 11/20 and home 11/21. This is our first trip to Thailand and Cambodia.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Kuranosuke,
I'm sure Ming's new place will be a regular hang-out for me. We can meet there any time. I'll arrive in BKK on the 27th of October. Looking forward to meeting you there.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Angelyn, I fly the United flight on 11/3, getting in to Bangkok just before midnight on 11/4. (another Seattle person - we really do need to have a get together!)
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM

You Seattle folks really need to have a Seattle GTG! I've always wanted to come to Seattle and I just live down the street in California. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Kathie,
Sounds like we'll be hanging out at SeaTac and Narita en route to BKK on 11/3-4 at about the same time--just with different airlines.
Actually, we live in Lawrence, KS, but our son and his family live in Gig Harbor. So, we're spending a few days there for Halloween and Thanksgiving on either end of our Thailand trip.
Angie
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

ang---sorry the dates do not work for you...where are you staying in bkk??

bob
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM

I am newcomer to the scene and am delighted to have stumbled onto the world of Fodorites. You even get-together? Wow!! I am in BKK about once or twice a year so one hope to one day make it to these GTGs. Amazing.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

cilla---we would love to meet you
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Brad has posted an additional thread about the Get Together on Nov. 25th.

It will be at the original (I think) Tawandang Brewery around 7ish.

Let him know you will join us so he can make reservations.

This place is a HUGE German style beer hall with entertainment galore! Music, dancing, and other crazy stuff happening on the stage. The brewer is actually from Germany and a very nice guy!

Hope to see you there!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Same here, rhkkmk. My impression is that most of you hail from the States and some are expats living in Asia. I live in Sydney and am also a frequent visitor to the States. So if not in BKK, we may cross paths somewhere else. Will be in SJD, LAX and LAS in early Nov, BKK late December and KUL in early January. Must say you guys seem to be a very friendly lot.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Cilla_Tey All my travelling experiences have shown that the Aussies are the friendliest people in the world. My husband and I laugh when we see someone who is extremely friendly and funny(and then they always seem to turn out to by an Austrailian. Would love to welcome you to Florida if you ever make it out this way.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

some aussies are just plain crazy like lyndie...the koh samui rat
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 08:45 AM

I too enjoy the Aussies. I have made 6 trips down under, and have friends in the Sydney burbs that I see every time. I love it when people strike up conversations on elevators. We don't seem to do that in the US. Also, on a street corner. Here in the states we always seem to be focused on getting somewhere... we need to slow down and enjoy the "ride" a little more!

Best memories are of a 13-day tour in the outback with a busload of 42 Aussies, one Swiss guy, and little old me (I was traveling solo). It was the most fun... I lost track of how many kinds of Aussie beer I tried, sitting by the pool with my travel mates in the evening after dinner, discussing politics and such. Sooooooo friendly!

Carol
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:47 PM

I am also new to this and very impressed that you all try to get together. This will be our first time to Thailand and we are so looking forward to it. We will be in BKK on 06Nov and will certainly try to come by and meet you all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -