Search

One week Java

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week Java

I was thinking about going to yogyakarta, hire a car for two days to see the the temples.
Then wanted to go to bali overland via bromo and ijen.

I found this website:

http://www.jogjabromotour.com/2012/1...nd-driver.html

that has this option :

JOGJA - MT. BROMO - IJEN - DROP KETAPANG
Rp. 2.650.000 / avanza, apv (1-5 persons)
Include : Car, Driver, Petrol

or as part of a tour:
http://www.jogjabromotour.com/2012/0...jen-tours.html

PANANJAKAN - Mt. BROMO - IJEN DROP KETAPANG 3D/2N
Standard Room B :
Rp. 875.000 / person, minimum 2 persons (join the group)
Lodging options : Lava view lodge
Facilities : Jeep, Breakfast, private bathroom cold and hot shower

But I wanted to see the waterfalls near mount bromo and to do the trek in ijen to see the blue fire. Don't know what's the best option. Can you help me? Do you know another tour agency with good prices?
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 10:56 AM

Any tour company in Java can set this up for you. If you have particular places you want to see, you are better off hiring a car and driver, as the tour has a set itinerary.

You might find my report on a couple of weeks in Java to be of interest: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...n-to-jogja.cfm

photos are at www.marlandc.com
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 03:52 PM

Even though Java is a relatively small geographic area, knowledge and experience remains localized, so you're better off hiring drivers and guides specific to the area you want to see.

My suggestion would be to fly into Yogya, ideally spend 3 nights, see the temples and other sites. I'd also suggest staying one or two of those nights in the Borobudur area instead of commuting from town. The sites listed on the tour service you attach are fairly standard and easily accessible. You can easily arrange a car/driver (and a guide if you like) upon arrival.

Then I'd get to Surabaya, either overland or by air. My preference would be to fly as you could better use that 11 hours of driving time being there than getting there.

I'd ask your whichever Bromo hotel you've chosen to pick up at Surabaya airport and drive you to the Bromo area. The hotel will also arrange day trips for you to the surrounding attractions. My hotel suggestion would be Java Banana.

If Malang is on your itinerary you could fit it in between Surabaya and Bromo.

Same for getting to Ijen: either ask your Bromo hotel to provide a car or your Ijen hotel to pick you up. Again, your Ijen hotel can arrange day trips to the sulfur mining area etc. and to the Bali ferry.

Once you arrive in Bali, repeat the process. Have your Bali resort pick you up at the ferry port. If you're going directly to central (Ubud) or south (Seminyak/Sanur) Bali, then plan on a longish drive.

Unless you're planning to spend time in north Bali (Pemuteran, Singaraja) you should consider backtracking to Surabaya and flying to Denpasar airport. Aside from saving time, the cost of flying doesn't come out to be a whole lot more than ground transportation.

You don't mention when you plan to travel. The month of July will be Ramadhan followed by the big Islamic holidays at the end of July. Not the best time for Java.
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 04:41 PM

What is a normal/good rate for a car+driver per day?
i.e. if I opt for doing the route from yogyokarta to close to bali with a driver.
I'll be there end of August.
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM

mariana, I don't think you can look at this from standpoint of a daily rate because there are too many variables.

Some points to consider
Do you intend to stop overnight -- in Bromo, Malang, Ijen for example -- or do you want to try to drive straight through from Yogya to the Ketapang port?

If you stop you have to consider the driver's accommodation too. If you drive straight through you have to think about driving at night and the time that you will arrive at the ferry terminal on both ends.

Your negotiations with the driver would also include gasoline and other maintenance, meals and rest stops for the driver. He may also ask for compensation for his return journey.

Then you have to think about what you do on the other side of the ferry crossing. Do you want to ask the Java driver to accompany you to Bali or to have a Balinese driver pick you up in Gilimanuk? What's your destination in Bali?

What happens if you have an accident or car trouble? Is there a back up plan?

Personally, I think you'd be better off either flying from Yogya to Bali. Or from Surabaya to Bali. You can still make day trips in Java and see a lot of the countryside. If you're determined to drive, then I'd suggest that you contract with a tour agency that can handle all the details.
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 07:53 AM

I intend to stop overnight in Bromo and Ijen. I did not thought about my Bali itinerary but just want him to drive me to the ferry. I will contact a tour agency just wanted opinions from people who might have done this before.
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM

mariana, I'd suggest you fly from Yogya to Surabaya and ask your Bromo hotel to pick you up. The drive from Yogya to Bromo is at least 12 hours, maybe more depending on which village you stay in. The countryside along the way is pleasant, but not spectacular and driving patterns on the highways are maniacal. Plus, you don't want to be driving after dark in the mountains.

Once you're in the Bromo area it will be easy to arrange transport to Ijen and then to Ketapang.

The ferry lands in northeast Bali. If you're staying that area, you can find transport on arrival. If you're going to Ubud or the southern beaches, you should arrange transport in advance. Public transportation is essentially non-existent.