Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

...am I completely crazy? filmwill's urgent inquiry.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Thai is offering to fly us to U-Tapao this Thursday.

Is it just insane of me to even consider this?

Our scheduled Friday flight most likely will be canceled. If it is, we end up in the 'whenever the next award tix is available' line...and that, as many of you know, could mean that we won't have a trip for months.

Thai has scheduled 3 flights this week and they're offering to put us (in business class) on one. We'd keep our scheduled return ticket for the 21st.

The only real (and somewhat monumental) snafu is: if the airport issue isn't resolved by the 21st, we may end up in the same boat as everyone else who is there right now. Granted, I'd assume the situation of ferrying folks in and out would be even more ironed out than it already is.

I need the serious and thoughtful of advice of folks on the ground and the experts. I have to make a decision quickly, so any input is appreciated.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 09:05 AM

I am neither on the ground nor an expert, but if I were you, I would do it!

Liz
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 09:16 AM

No, no, don't worry, you're only partially crazy. And so am I. I'd do it.

As I understand the situation, the real chaos is for those trying to fly out of U-Tapao.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM

A resounding do it!!!! (sounds like an echo).....and make sure I'm on the blog list for this year.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM

yes, yes, yes and hurry before some other crazy person grabs your tickets

Aloha!
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

...and it's over before it even starts.

United won't put the tickets through as "U-Tapao is a military base and since Thai Airways does not have a contract to fly in there [they] cannot allow that."

I'm yay-close to throwing in the towel.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM

Do you have the desire/funds/option to purchase tickets and just bank the miles for a future trip? I would imagine you can get a good price on tickets to BKK or nearby right now. Of course, you'd probably have to fly coach. I would rather do that than have to cancel my trip.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Liz (HI!!!), I've thought of that--but unfortunately I don't see anything into Singapore, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong for anything close to reasonable ($1400+)...and that price range is just not worth it to me.

I think we're just going to see what happens later in the week for our flight.

United now reassures us that they will "re-protect" us if our Thai flight cancels on Friday and that they'll will work with Thai to rebook us on the next available flight.

I don't know who to believe anymore since I've heard so much conflicting info from both United and Thai, just depending on the person I'm speaking with at the time.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM

A question filmwill....did the conversation of checked luggage come up with Thai? just asking because I saw on Cathay's web site that they were asking people they were picking up in U-T not to bring any checked luggage because there are no facilities to handle it?
J
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thai didn't mention anything about baggage--we didn't get that far in the booking process.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're running flights from LAX to UTP. I assume they're scheduled these flights to accommodate Thais trying to get home.

I cannot imagine there are many tourists foolish enough as us (...and apparently some others) willing to fly to a military base just to go on vacation.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:47 AM

I am finding flights for $835 LAX-HKG from Thursday until 12/21

It's on China Air though, I don't have any experience with them.

If you want help with flights, let me know! Here or lizstravelblog at gmail

(I am in between jobs and have a few days off-- I'm happy to help.)
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM

Filmwill - Sorry to put a negative spin on things, but under the circumstances, I'm not sure how safe things are in Thailand even if you can get into the country and out. Things just sound a bit too unstable for me personally and they seem to be escalating rather than getting better. Luckily we have 2 months before we leave so we will try to make a decision in 1 month. I'm hoping at that point that we can switch our frequent flyer ticket from Korea into Vietnam or some other destination that Korean Air flies to.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM

What can I say? This is the weirdest situation! Thai is willing to fly you to the military base, but United won't switch your tickets... Good luck - I hope something works out for you.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Liz, I should've tacked that onto my last post. Yes, I saw the China Air fare. But, given their safety record and their service reviews, I think I'd rather strap myself to the wing of a military charter to get to Asia than fly them.

Thanks for the offer, though...I'm trying every angle, but I have a feeling still that our best one is to see what happens on Friday and latch onto United's protection. That'll probably give us our best shot of getting there as soon as it's possible.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM

I think you're right.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM

Just to help with a lttle description.
U-Tapao is a small airport. Until now just 3 flights a day of Bangkok Airways to Samui and Phuket plus some long haul charters. I use it very often to and from Phuket.

It has a terminal etc but very small, like a small municipal commuter airport perhaps if that gives some description, but it is a commercial used airport.

It takes 747's etc as also used as a maintenance base for Thai Airways.
About 190 km from Bangkok but only 30-40 minutes from Pattaya and Jomtien Beach.
If you go for it and it's a late arrival and you did not want to go all the way into Bangkok you can taxi into the Jomtien / Pattaya area, Bob's Sheraton for the night, there is also a Marriott etc plus plenty of 2/3/4 star places.
If you wanted to do that and make it easy, although expensive you could always get the hotel to pick you up at U-Tapao which might 'smooth things'.

Also if you are heading elsewhere after arriving and had no reason to go into BKK there are regular flights from U-tapao with BBB Airways to both Samui and Phuket. f you wanted nearby island then you would be closer to Koh Samet or Koh Chang already than heading there from BKK.

Good point there are also a lot of people trying to get back 'home'.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM

No magic answers I'm afraid Will, but don't give up.

We faced vaguely similar obstacles when returning to 'you know where', in Jan and Feb 2005 after the tsunami.

Just find a way to get there.

We did spend 3 hours at U-Tapao some years ago after our landing at Bangkok was aborted due to a broken down plane on the runway. There were no facilities for commercial passengers and we were not allowed off the plane.

I haven't followed all of this tale, but my memory says you were going to Singapore and a Thai island.

Can't you just go in and out of Singapore and miss Bangkok.

I have a feeling I may have missed a point somewhere here.......but Will.....Good Luck !

I hope things come together.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM

You already know what my answer would be to this question, so I really don't need to answer it. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM

This is a tough call. Try calling United again. You might get a different answer.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM

Andy's right - it doesn't hurt to call United again.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -