Myanmar, Munnar India, Borneo: Please Advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about three weeks from October to November 2013 to add onto my itinerary. I will be in Nepal prior. I will be meeting up with two traveling companions who are "green" minded and enjoy secluded outdoor experiences.

Please suggest the: 1) order of go, 2) any climate concerns (I have spent much of two days searching the web and seem to have more questions than I have answers), 3) transportation, etc., to and from.

The specific areas are: Myanmar (Santa Maria Tours has submitted several options but am interested in your one specific place), Borneo Rainforest Lodge, Borneo, and Camp Noel, Munnar, India.

Ideally, we would choose to be in each location for three over-nights excluding travel to and from, departing from Beijing mid November.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice is to pick one country. For weather, use the weather underground site.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

I will check it out right now. Since I may not be back in this area of the world, I would like to explore the possibility of all three. Thank you for your recommendations!!
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysdad: I have explored Weather Underground but have had no luck getting close enough to Munnar or even Kerala India; no rain reported last year in Lahad Datu, Malaysia, but am concerned by the distance from there to Danum Valley. Perhaps with more research...
I was in Thailand during the floods 2011 and I am reminded by the changes from year to year. I thought it best to reach out to others for insight. Again, I appreciated all who take their valuable time to assist by writing suggestions. Thanks, again!!
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM

I use www.weatherbase.com "no rain reported last year in Lahad Datu" that is obviously an error.

I can't help with the questions about Munnar, India, but I have spent time in Myanmar (two trips) and at the Borneo Rainforest Lodge. Three overnights in each place is inadequate, IMO. If you want any flavor of Burma, you'll need at least a week, preferably 10 days.

The Borneo Rainforest Lodge will provide your transport from the Lahad Datu Airport to the Lodge. We were there in November, got some (dramatic) rain, but overall, felt it was a good time to go. You could enjoy the BRL with three overnights, but I'd add in elsewhere in Malaysian Borneo.

I'm guessing you may be interested in the Malika Lodge in Putao, Myanmar.Three overnights is the shortest package they offer, as you know. Personally, I think it would be a pity to go to Myanmar and only see Putao.

You might find our photos helpful: www.marlandc.com There are two sets of Burma photos, 2009 and 2011, and one set of Borneo photos.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Kathie: We have looked at Cheryl's photos from time to time over a year and most recently each day for this past week. The photo essays are amazing as is your writing. Just incredible!!

I am awaiting word from my fellow travelers, but, I do not feel that they can/will afford more time. With that said, I am wondering if I could take a bit of time from my Nepal end and experience one location and then meet up with them for the other two. Having visited Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Hong Kong with them (perhaps you remember your stressing my schedule "extreme") I have noticed that they are not as awe struck by Asia as I, hence the movement.

Would you recommend another stop in Malaysian Borneo? I am afraid that I have not mapped out coming and going as I have no real flow for this exciting journey as of yet so if you would make note of the order of go...if not too much trouble.

Also, would you care to mention why Munnar India has not been noted? Just curious as I now read your reports several times before borrowing from libraries/purchasing any travel guides.

As I await word from my companions, please accept my warm thanks for your kind response.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM

I'm glad our travel photos and reports have been helpful in your planning. I cannot help you with Munnar as I have not been to that area. But I can help some with the other two. (Southern India is on our short list for future trips.)

Planning this trip is a difficult task. Part of the problem is that the three destinations you would like to visit are somewhat distant from each other, and there are no direct flights among these places. It will in some cases take days from one destination to the next.

My thought is to start with Munnar, as you are coming from Nepal. I'm not sure what the air connections are like, but if you could fly then from Munnar to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur or Singapore, there are non-stop flights to Yangon.

As you know the flights from Yangon to Putao are only twice a week (last I saw) so timing will be important. Maybe the flights will be such you will be "forced" to see a bit of this marvelous country.

From Myanmar, you would want to fly to either Kuala Lumpur (Air Asia) or Singapore (Silk Air). From either place, you can fly to Kota Kinabalu, your entry point to Malaysian Borneo. Both Malaysian Air and Air Asia fly from KL to KK, and there are a couple of airlines that fly from SIngapore to KK, Silk Air and at least one other. To get to the BRL, you have to fly to Kota Kinabalu then catch the flight to Lahad Datu. (You will need to overnight in KK.) The BRL meets the morning flight from KK to Lahad Datu.

Whether to make another stop in Malaysian Borneo depends on what you are interested in. We loved Kuching, and there is a major park, Bako, near Kuching that is well worth a stop (though we didn't get there).

For me, if I had only a few days to add somewhere my first choice would be Myanmar. But (obviously) there are worthwhile destinations in all three places.

Happy planning!