Reload this Page >

Travelling in Laos

Search

Travelling in Laos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 03:16 AM
Daniel Richard

Travelling in Laos

We are planning a two week trip in Laos next year. I've been reading a lot of "horror" tales about the road, boat and plane travelling conditions: i.e. road in very bad conditions and possible road blocks by bandits, boat trip in unsafe conditions and Lao Aviation wich has a very bad record on plane maintenance......? How can we appreciate travelling in that country in those conditions ?

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:14 PM
David

I was in Southeast Asia this summer and took a short side trip from Thailand to the town of Luang Prabang in Laos. We flew on Lao Aviation from Chiang Mai (in northern Thailand) to Luang Prabang. We bought our tickets in Bangkok. (One tip: If you travel on Lao Aviation ALWAYS reconfirm your flight.) We spent several days in Luang Prabang and then flew back to Chiang Mai. Although Lao Aviation reportedly has a poor maintenance record, it was the quickest way to get around Laos. We arrived and departed safely although we were definitely not traveling on a "state-of-the-art" plane. It was very basic -- a very kind description. When we were in Luang Prabang we spoke with many travelers who had spent time traveling around Laos. They said bus travel was arduous and time consuming -- and sometime hair-raising -- but We met no one who had encountered any trouble. If you have the time, you can get around by bus. If you have money, plane trips can make it easier. (Plane trips are still inexpensive by western standards.) <BR>However you decide to travel around the country, make Luang Prabang one of your "must experince" destinations. It was a lovely town. No matter how long you stay you will wish you could stay longer. There was no night life, no large hotels. Hours can be lost just watching the swiftly, swirling Mekong River amble by. Delicious restaurants <BR>abound and cheap stays are plentiful. The French colonial architecture is in various states of repair and disrepair. You can get your fill of Buddhist temples and Lao beer. Take a boat trip up the river -- it felt very safe -- or visit the nearby waterfalls. I hope the rest of Laos is as delightful as Luang Prabang. Good luck, be carfeul but don't be put off by "horror" stories.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 08:27 AM
rauni

we have been to laos three times, some 2 mos. altogether. coming down from northern thailand to luang prabang by slow local boat is a wonderful experience although not very comfortable. taking the bus from vientiane to luang prabang is very nice, then going noth by local bus not as interesting. the trip we preferred was south laos, overland from thailand towards pakse, then south to 4000 islands, also excursion from pakse to the mountains. for this southern part ten days is a good duration. however we love the mekong and authentic conditions with certain comforts, you may not have same taste. bon voyage, feel free to ask for more advice, but we are off nov 17, for 2 1/2 mos in burma and cambodia. bibi

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:27 PM
Billy

Is Bangkok Airways flying from Bangkok to Luang Prabang? As Of March 1, 2001 I was on Bangkok air to Cambodia and it was list as a daily flight. TRUE???? <BR>Please send any inf. possible. <BR> <BR>Billy

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 03:17 AM
cathy

Would love more info on travelling to and around Laos. Thank you!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:01 AM
cathy

topping for some info, please?!?!!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:41 PM
What More?

to cathy-<BR>what do you want to know?<BR>i found it very useful to go get a guide book for laos before going.<BR>i think luang prabang is one of the most beautiful places on earth. i agree with the above poster that no matter how long you spend there you want it to be more. <BR>there is nothing to suit "modern" "western" tastes- but instead you are back in time when people have simple lives.<BR>it reminded me of sri lanka's kandy and the beach of hikkaduwa, stunning.<BR>that said, i am waiting until a better airline flies in. i felt very lucky to have made the flight safely, but i think i would go another route.<BR>the boat travel was very slow, but stunning and not at all uncomfortable. the fast boat looked very dangerous.<BR>if i found out i was dying, i would absolutely spend my last days there.<BR>the lao people were lovely.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 04:29 AM
xxxxxx

What's more, you agree with the above poster, because you ARE the above poster! Noone else writes in all lower case!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Matt

Hi, we are actually in Chaing Mai now and looking for a reasonable (read under US$20) place to stay. More importantly, we are considering taking the, uh, "fast boat' from the Thai border to LP. One person here mentioned that it looked a little shady. Can someone clarify before I risk life and limb? Is the ferry as slow as it sounds? Thanks so much.<BR><BR>Matt

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Mary Anne Cook

I was in Luang Prabang in February and agree it is a lovely place. You just hope it will not be spoiled by becoming more westernized. The trip down the river is beautiful. We flew by Lao Air( with a pilot friend) who I questioned about the safety of the airline. He feels the French propeller planes are safe to fly. I really enjoyed the flight from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. I am not sure I would want to travel by bus or car after talking with someonewho had driven between these 2 places(a local) The roads are just not that good. The people in Luang Prabang were friendlier than the ones in Vientiane. You can cross via of the Friendship bridge from Thailand into close to Vientiane. It is a lovely country that I would like to visit again.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Kathie

Bangkok AIrways does now fly from Bangkok to Luang Prabang. I believe there is a stop (no change of plane) in Sukothai. I've been trying to book flights, but their website is variable as to whether it is working or not, so may have an agent do it for me. The roundtrip airfair is approx US$275. As best I can tell, it is a daily flight, but with at least two slightly different schedules.<BR><BR>I've flown with Bangkok Airways previously. Their planes are newer and well-maintained. (I have to admit I'd be nervous about Lao Aviation.)

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:30 PM
mark p

Laos definitely worth seeing..land travel is a matter of luck..its always slow and uncomfortable..buses break down quite often..near misses are not unusual..they consider it quite OK to provide a taxi-truck (Songthaew) from Luang Namtha to Houay Xai that had no brakes in mountainous country..very nearly serious over the side..bye bye..its lovely countryside..get a car if you can for safety and enjoyment..www.se-asia.com

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 02:53 AM
daniel richard

Go Laos!<BR>We went in Laos last january. It was one of the best part of our 6 month trip. People are very, very friendly and the travelling conditions are not as bad has expected. I agree that Luang Prabang is a must and also try to visit the tribes up north near Muang Sing. It is also not expensive.<BR>Daniel