Reload this Page >

Airline blackout days.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Lisa

Is Memorial weekend (end of April),considered by airlines, to be blackout days? My plans have me returning to USA (from Europe)on April 30th, but I can change dates if it means a cheaper flight. <BR>Thanx!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:55 PM
Triple O

The last time I checked, Memorial weekend was at the end of May, not April. If you mean blackout days for using your frequent flyer mileage, yes, some of those days you can't fly.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Lisa

DOH! What was I thinking?! Thanx, Triple, for the correction on Memorial dates.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Lisa, if you mean blackout dates for frequent flyer awards, you have to check with your airline. Delta, for one, does not black out around Memorial Day.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:29 PM
Adam

Bad News: Every airline sets their own blackout dates, and they are different for different markets. For example. Thanksgiving is usually not a blackout date for transatlantic travel, though it is for domestic travel. <BR> <BR>If you are getting a signifigant fare difference at the end of April, you are probably hitting a seasonal difference. Try backing up your trip by a few days to be sure that you are home before the last weekend in the month. If that doesn't work, try "testing" for returning home, say, before the 15th, and before April 1. Also, avoid weekend travel _both ways_ like the plague: airlines artifically reduce availability on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and there is usually a weekend surcharge of at least $20 each way. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!