AA, questions about booking fees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently made a purchase online at aa.com, just after I finished the purchase I realized I'd used the wrong credit card and I called AA. The agent changed the credit card information for me, I thought that since I've ticketed the ticket I wouldn't have to pay a fee, but I've been charged $20 on my cc. Is there any way I can call AA and have the fee removed, or am I wrong in wanting the fee removed, and now I must learn from this mistake.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
yk

Did the agent inform you that you will be charged a fee when you called with this problem?

Did you call the regular reservation line or the web services?

I don't think you should have been charged the fee. And if you called regular AA reservations line for this, next time stick with the Web Services folks for issues like this.

If you call AA back and they refuse to refund the fee, go through their "contact us" link and send them an email.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

yk, I was not informed of the fee, I called the Gold desk and the agent said she'd change the cc info for me. I even asked about the total charges and was told that the amount would be $abc, which was the price of the ticket.

Am I better off calling or emailing AA to resolve this?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
yk

The agent probably made a mistake. Why don't you call first, and if that doesn't get resolved, send them an email.

Based on what I've read on Flyertalk, the "Gold Desk" agents are just regular AA phone agents. I think when you call the Gold #, your call gets routed to the front of the line.

When I have issues with my online reservations or anything I did online, I always call the Web Services first. I find those folks the most helpful and always able to resolve my problem without sending me from one dept to another to another...
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

yk, when you've called the agents at the Web Services desk have you ever been charged a service fee?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
yk

I have only been charged a fee when the fee is warranted, eg, booking open-jaw Award tickets over the phone, which is not possible online.

Other times that required a phone call was asking them to change my HOLD reservation from one fare class to another fare class; or change the time/date of my HOLD reservation.

All these times, they did the changes for me, but since I only asked them to CHANGE the reservations and not to TICKET it, they can't charge me.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
yk

Any luck?
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

yk, thank you for your help and suggestions. I called AA yesterday, I was on hold for a few minutes and then I got a call on call waiting that I had to take. I've just haven't been able to call back (too many eyes and ears in the house at present, if you know what I mean). I'll report back when I speak to AA.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM

I think that you may be stuck. You were lucky that AA was willing to change the ticket in the first place, but when you did that YOU called and did it over the phone thereby getting the charge.

Airlines will often waive this if it's due to a system glitch on thier end, but... this time that's not the case.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

yk, I'm glad you encouraged me to call AA. I have spoken to them and they didn't know why I was charged the booking fee and they have told me they will credit the fee, I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe it was my lucky day.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:36 PM
yk

Glad it worked out. Hope you'll see your money back.