Reload this Page >

smoking on Alitalia ?

Search

smoking on Alitalia ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Susan

smoking on Alitalia ?

Having read a few earlier posts on this site, I'm fearful about my already booked flight to Milan from Chicago (booked thru USAirways FF). Can anyone verify if international flights on Alitalia still allow smoking? The ticket agent mentioned nothing about this and I can't imagine how terrible 10+ hours in a smoke-filled plane would be. Alitalia's web site is very unclear.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Amy

There was no smoking on my flight from Boston to Milan in March, and it was announced that it was not allowed. Now whether it occasionally goes on regardless of the announcement, that's another story.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:08 PM
sn

I think Alitlia gets a bad rap. I flew from Milan to Miami last September and there was no smoking, good food, nice service and a timely flight. Also, the flight attendants and gate agents are all attractive young women who take pride in their jobs.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:39 AM
tt

I agreed with SN about Alitalia. Not only all flights from the US to Italy are non-smoking but also domestic flights Rome-Palermo and Rome-Milan we were on several times last year were also always non-smoking. However, I feel that Italians are the heaviest smokers in Europe. Once they are off the plane they are puffing everywhere disregarding athers. At least this was my observation

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:44 PM
GAC

Have flow Alitalia over a dozen times in the past three years. No smoking on flights. Period.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:56 PM
john

Flew Alitalia Rome to Toronto two weeks<BR>ago. Absolutely NO SMOKING on board. Was not an issue. Flight left on time, seats were reasonable . The service and food was terrible. The flight crew spent most of the time after dinner in the very back of the plane. They did no general cleanup during the entire nine hour flight. The plane was a mess when we arrived. The washrooms were not services. I would give them a miss is you can.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:53 AM
sneel

John:<BR><BR>Fromt the wording of your message (e.g. "the washrooms were not services") you've taken a few too many hockey pucks to the head. Viva Alitalia!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:16 PM
john

Sneel:<BR><BR>Change services to serviced. I was trying to be polite but let me expand on the poor service:<BR><BR>-halfway through the flight there were no paper towels in the washrooms. The <BR>cabin crew could not care less...I heard at least four people complain. There were paper towels strewn all over the floor outside the rear washrooms-right beside where our four cabin crew were sitting-doing nothing but talk to each other. The thought of cleaning them up clearly did not enter into their minds<BR><BR>-my seatmate went back and asked for water twice. He was told that it would be brought out. It never appeared. A lady with an infant tried to use the call button but it was useless-absolutely NO response. Her seatmate had to go back and interupt the coffee party to get some juice for the child.<BR><BR>-the duty free cart was not used. They simply spread the wares out in the mid section galley and asked people to come up. Passengers were lined up down the aisles. They kept on serving duty free from the galley even after the Captain asked people to put on their seat belts. Clearly, a safety hazard.<BR><BR>-they were generally rude to the passengers and ignored them whenever possible. I travel very often and have NEVER seen anything like this. The cabin looked like a garbage dump at the end of the flight. Things were fine in business class (I was seated two rows back and could see in).<BR>The stewards worked hard all through the flight and that section of the cabin was spotless. I do not know what Alitalia's standards are but had I been a 'company spotter', I would have sent that crew back to Italy deadhead never to fly again. I could not help but think that this was NOT the crew that I would want on a plane if any mishap occurred-major or minor.<BR><BR>So, you are most welcome to my seat on Alitalia because I would never use them again.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:43 AM
John

All scheduled flights from EU airports are non-smoking.<BR><BR>If you fly on an Italian, Greek or Spanish charter flight it is quite likely you will come actross a smoking section on board.<BR><BR>AlItalia is a good airline, if slightly variable in the quality of food. But it is cheap.