how long to allocate for TSA in Dallas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an 8:40 am flight out of Dallas on May 31st. We will be staying overnight at the Hyatt that connects to the airport. I am concerned by all the talk on the news about the horrible TSA lines, especially in Dallas. How far in advance would you recommend we get to the airport (any recent experience). We won't have any bags to check, just need to get through security and to the gate. Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:11 AM

Security checkpoints at DFW are spread out, and you can actually go to any security checkpoint at any terminal and travel to another with the within-security train. I've never experienced a substantial wait at DFW in many years of flying through there. Having said that, I think it would be foolish not to allow a full hour to get through security. In the worst possible case, you'll have time for breakfast before you board. (Just FYI: The 31st is the last day of Memorial Day weekend, which will be a particularly heavy travel day, but I suspect it will be heavier at DFW for arrivals and transit passengers than for departures.)

It also matters which Hyatt you are staying at. The Grand Hyatt is attached to Terminal D; the Hyatt Regency requires you to ride a shuttle, which can take a few extra minutes.
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:29 AM

We fly out of DFW often and stay at the DFW Grand Hyatt at least half the time. Most of our flights leave about 1 hour earlier than yours. At that hour we usually find the TSA lines to be relatively short. While we are usually TSA Pre-approved and get through very quickly it doesn't appear the "non Pre-approved" lines are that much slower.

Now, boarding for your flight will begin 30 minutes prior to departure (for you that means 7:00AM) so you'll probably want to arrive at the TSA checkpoint no later than between 6:15 AM and 6:30AM.

As Doug says, if you are staying at the Grand Hyatt, there's a TSA checkpoint that's just steps from the escalator leading from the hotels lobbying a second one about 100 yards down the terminal. You'll be entering into Terminal D. If your flight departs from another terminal once you clear TSA simply take the SkyLink Tram to the departure gate in the other terminal. It runs every 3 minutes.

If you are staying at the Hyatt regency, take the complimentary airport shuttle bus to your departure terminal.
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - we are familiar with Dallas as we frequently change planes there (being from New Mexico). We are staying overnight this time (at the grand Hyatt!) as we are starting an overseas journey and it just made more sense. After the stories on the news though I am a little nervous about how early we shall have to rise. The plane leaves at 8:40 so I assume Roams Around you meant we would board at 8 so should get there by 7? Thanks
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:08 PM

OOPS! Obviously I can't tell time! Yes, 7:00AM sounds fine.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:11 AM

If this is an international flight from DFW, you have other issues. Make sure you check in for your flight the night before since there are different check-in requirements from domestic flights (you usually need to be checked in at least an hour before the flight). If you are leaving DFW to connect to your international flight elsewhere, then the domestic check-in requirements apply.
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Actually the ticket starts in Albuquerque so we will check luggage and check in there. but with an 8 hour layover in DFW I thought it would make sense to get a hotel room for some sleep...the only question is how much sleep will we get? thanks
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:44 AM

The good news is you will already be checked in, so that helps on that front. But you may not get much sleep; international flights load earlier than domestic flights. So be in the concourse at least an hour before your departure.