Search

Anti-malarial drugs

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 1999, 05:25 PM
James Downing

Anti-malarial drugs

During our previous visit to South Africa, we used Lariam (Mefloquine) to prevent malaria. All four of us definitely felt some moderate mental side effects, and would consider using a different drug(s) on the next trip. We know that the other drugs are less effective, but how much less? If we can get almost the same protection with (probably) fewer side effects, then we'll switch. But if the other drugs are significantly less effective than Lariam, then we'll stay with it. The CDC website has no detailed comparisons. Does anyone have any data?

Old May 13th, 1999, 10:59 AM
Myriam

I had the same mental side effects when using Lariam. Now I use a combination of Nivaquine (3 tabs per week) and Paludrine (2 tabs per day). My doctor says that this combination is only a little less effective since the mosquitos get more resistant against all medicins. <BR>The only disadvantage for me is that I may not forget to take my medicins every day. <BR>

Old May 14th, 1999, 05:31 PM
S. West

I don't know that much about the other drugs, but do know that I will never take Lariam again. I had side effects for weeks after taking it last October and still have difficulties. Keep looking for other options.

Old May 17th, 1999, 09:04 PM
bill

FOR THE THREE MESSAGES ABOVE - HOW LONG WERE YOU ON LARIUM? IT WOULD BE VERY SCARY IF YOU WERE ON IT FOR A FEW WEEKS AND DEVELOPED MENTAL SIDE EFFECTS. COULD YOU LET US KNOW HOW LONG YOU USED THE MEDICINE? THANKS MUCH.BILL

Old May 18th, 1999, 03:08 AM
Myriam

Bill, <BR>I was on Lariam for only two weeks. My doctor advised us to try it out a couple of weeks before leaving for Africa, so we did. I had mental side effects (felt abnormally fearful) after about 10 days. My doctor advised me then to stop with Lariam and take the combination Nivaquine/Paludrine which is OK for me. <BR>My husband has no single problem with Lariam.

Old May 18th, 1999, 01:27 PM
BILL

MYRIAM - THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. THAT IS AMAZING. I HAVE ONLY HEARD STORIES LIKE YOURS WITH PEOPLE ON LARIUM FOR 6 MONTHS. SOMETIMES I THINK MALARIA MAY BE EASIER THAN THE PREVENTION DRUGS. TAKE CARE AND HOPE YOU ARE NOW WELL. BILL