Zambia Safari report and images coming soon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick note to let you know that I've just returned from two intensive weeks of wildlife photography in Zambia's South Luangwa National Park. The trip exceeded my expectations both logistically and photographically. I stayed for seven nights at Luangwa River Lodge and six nights at Star of Africa's Puku Ridge Tented Camp, and have nothing but praise for these facilities and their managers and guides. The wet season adventure proved to be an enormous bonus photographically, the animals were plentiful and accessible. I shot over 5,000 digital images, and retained 200. I am now editing them for presentation on both of my websites. An illustrated travel article featuring 100 of them will appear on my worldisround.com website at the end of January. At the same time, I will also post 50 of them in my pbase cyberbook, discussing them as examples of expressive wildlife photography.

When my images are posted, I will offer a complete trip report here as well, and will be glad to answer any questions at that time.

See you then,

Phil Douglis
The Douglis Visual Workshops
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:08 PM
bat

can't wait to see the photos--and any FZ30 tips for newbies.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Welcome back!!! Glad to hear you loved it there. Really looking forward to the photos and report. I leave May 24!

Sharon
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Welcome Back, can't wait to see your pics! Guess I'm next at Puku Ridge and Luangwa River Lodge! 48 days!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Dennis that just ain't right.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Phil,

Welcome home...glad your trip exceeded all expectations. I can hardly wait to see your photos!

Dennis,

I think it is great that we will be able to have perspectives on Luangwa River Lodge & Puku Ridge in each September (my visit), January (Phil's visit) and March (your visit). Also, many of my Puku Ridge photos are from a June 2004 visit, so we have it pretty well covered!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Cooncat - did we manage to overlap our zambia stays? Our itinerary after Vic Falls is 5/21 to 5/24 at Luangwa River Lodge, 5/25/ and 5/26 at Puku Ridge and 5/17 to 5/31 at Chiawa. Would be funny to have two fodorites named Sharon at any of these places at the same time

The "other" Sharon
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

I can't wait to hear more about Phil's trip.......particularly LRL!!! more in terms of wildlife and activities....just from their website, i can tell that they are a superb facility.

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Sharon - I think I'll see you at Chiawa! You and another poster here, Tigerpaw! Warning: Chiawa is my first stop after 2 non-stop days of travel. I'm likely to be bit tired.....
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM

no matter how tired you are, when you step off that plane in Mfuwe and drive to the camp, you won't be at all tired until your head hits the pillow that night! The sights, sounds, smells and excitement of FINALLY being there will keep you awake!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:18 AM

That is what I'm hoping, Dennis!

Phil - Again, really looking forward to those photos and your report!!!

(Not to rush you or anything!)
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM

That's some ratio -- keeping only 200 out of 5,000 photos, or 4%. Notwithstanding Nikon's decision to substantially abandon film cameras, I'm not ready to relinquish my F-100 and switch to digital -- it makes me a much more disciplined photographer and I don't shoot 50 photos of the same scene, which I'm sure I'd do if I had a digital camera.

That being said, the day is fast approaching when I'll be forced to switch, but hopefully I can carry that discipline forward.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
bat

Phil:
When you get a chance--I noticed from a previous thread that you purchased battery barn batteries. I am a bit confused because the battery barn website lists it as a CGA S006 instead of a CGR S006. Did you purchase the CGA?

How many photos did you get per battery? We may have a few days without the ability to recharge. The battery barn price is tempting ($19) but I am wary. Buydig has a Sakar for $39. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Welcome back, Phil!

It was so lovely to meet you in London and I so enjoyed meeting your lovely friend, Emily. I also came straight home and viewed her pbase account and was absolutely blown away by the very first image I viewed! I left her lots of comments but haven't heard from her so please do let her know to drop me an email when she has time, no rush.

Can't wait to see your photos and be able to share in your wonderful experiences!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Hi "other Sharon"
As Sharon, Cooncat said, we will be at Chiawa May 27-31st. and then Old Mondoro June 1 and 2. So will be at Chiawa during part of your stay there. Also we will be at Luangua River Lodge May 18-22. So will overlap a couple days with your stay. After LRL, we will go to Kapamba May 23-26. I remember that you were considering Kapamba also at one time, weren't you?
We will be coming from central IL. Where are you from?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM

cooncat and tigerpaw - two posters to meet up with! Should be fun. At Chiawa I'll be the short blonde looking like something the cat dragged in after 10 days on safari
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Welcome back from the intensive weeks of adventure. Glad you had good wildlife viewing.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM

By any chance did you book this trip through an operator? And if so which one
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Maria,

I helped Phil put this whole thing together just prior to starting my own tour operation, but he actually booked direct with the lodges. Most of the people on this board whom have visited or are visiting Luangwa River Lodge and/or Puku Ridge in South Luangwa, and Chiawa in Lower Zambezi, are doing so with my assistance. However, there is no price advantage in booking direct with the lodges so it would suit someone well who is considering a similar trip to book with a preferred tour operator of these lodges, as preferred operators are able to get the best rates and pass along the savings to their clients.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM
mv

Rocco

Can you get any closer to advertising without naming your company????
Stick to giving good advise and please quit the advertising

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -