Constantia from Waterfront - cab?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if we are staying at the waterfront while in cape town - could we have dinner in Constantia? Is is a cab ride away or is it only accessible if you have a car?
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:22 PM

I don't know about dinnertime - we were driven there for lunch (as part of a day trip). But it was a wonderful meal so if you cannot do dinner, go for lunch! (also the beautiful grounds are easily seen during the day)
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:52 AM

TTravels,

As I read your mail you want to travel to the suburb of Constantia where there are many restaurants and not necesarilly Groot Constantia, the winefarm + restaurant as Clematis seems to understand.

No matter what you could cab from the Waterfront to any restaurant in Constantia. The drive will probably be about 30 minutes and should cost about R100 - R150 (about US$ 20) each way.

In terms of whether I would recommend this the answer would be no. I say this because there are so many other restaurants that are close by to the Waterfront and cabbing back and forth to Constantia is a pain and expense that really is not worth it considering all else that is around you. If you had your own form of transport then I would say the ride could be deemed as being a slightly better proposition. If you have a specific venue that you want or have to go to then I suppose it will be a worthwhile journey by cab or your own transport. It just depends on how important it is for you to want to visit the venue relative to all the many restaurants that will be a stones throw away from where you will be staying.

Hope the above helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:37 AM

ttravels
I have to agree with Selwyn. He is quite correct. What type of food are you looking for and then we can tell you where to go for the BEST.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:05 PM

Yes, Selwyn, I am confusing this question but specifically with having dinner at the Ustig Constantia (is it also called Groot?) Do you like this place? It was a meal to remember for us.
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Basically we just want to enjoy some nice meals. We are open to any type of cuisine. We just want to experience the best restaurants that Cape Town can offer. I know one night we want to go to the Africa Cafe as I understand that is not to be missed.

Any other suggestions for great meals would be appreciated!
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM

We had a thoroughly wonderful meal at Cellars-Hohenort in Constantia. Also had lunch (fabulous) at Groot Constantia. I would rent a car and take a day trip there and experience some of the beautiful wineries, if you have time. We also loved the Botanical gardens and the easy little trek up the back of Table Top Mountain. (LOL) I hate to say this, but my husband got a nasty little food bug at Panama Jack's (seafood) which blew his last 3 days.