Reload this Page >

South Africa (Johannesburg) with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Michelle

My family and I are planning to go visit relatives in South Africa. We haven't told anyone we're going yet, as we're not sure we're going to go. Since there's four of us, we decided to stay in a hotel and not in a relative's home. The boys are 9 and 10, and we're a bit worried about how safe it will be for them in Johannesburg.<BR><BR>Any tips on what to see etc. would be much appreciated. (We're going in late April/May)

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Lisa

Hi Michelle,<BR>I go often to Jhb to visit family too and while it is not my ideal vacation spot, we have made the most of it.<BR><BR>Firstly, I am not sure how familiar you are with Jhb.<BR><BR>One thing when I am there is to try to avoid driving at night although sometimes you have to. You have to take a cautionary approach and keep a car's length distance between you and the car in front of you especially at traffic lights and stop streets. Late at night it is also recommended to treat traffic lights as yield signs, Keep car doors locked and windows not rolled down too far.<BR>Okay, now that I have alarmed you extensively, let me go onto the good things.<BR><BR>I would definitely try to get to see some other aspects of SA if you can. Try to persuade your relatives to come away with you. That way, you will get a pleasant vacation and get to see your relatives on a relaxed note. Close to Jhb, you'll find Rustenberg, Hartebeestpoort, Sun City and the Pilanesberg game Reserve. For the experience and thrill of a lifetime, go to a game reserve. Your kids are at a great age for that. <BR><BR>Closer to Jhb for day trips are the Lion Park in Krugersdorp, Gold Reef City, Pretoria, the transport museum in Wemmer Pan and my kids favorite, paintball in Germiston.<BR><BR>A must-see on my trips are the daily craft markets in Bruma and the Sunday craft market in the Rosebank Mall parking garage. Hyde Park also has a nice craft market.<BR><BR>If you can, spend some time in Cape Town. It is a pity to go to SA and not take the kids to Cape Town.<BR><BR>In addition, I would recommend, rather than a hotel, to stay in a furnished apartment if you are going to be there for more than a few days. Off the top of my head are places like the Don (Rosebank and Sandton) or executive suites. There is also a nice apartment hotel in Eastgate/Bruma but I can't remember its name.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 04:08 AM
local

Hi Lisa!!<BR><BR>Is it only me or have you been away for some time? Anyway, good to have you back!! We were in Cape Town during December for holiday and it was very enjoyable. Are your visiting plans still on for this year?<BR><BR>Michelle, I can only agree with what Lisa has said. One or two things that I can add or confirm (thinking about the kids):<BR><BR>Gold Reef City (Jhb)(www.goldreefcity.co.za)<BR><BR>Pilanesberg Game Reserve (near Sun City)- hour and a half by car<BR><BR>Lion Park (Krugersdorp)<BR><BR>The Cheetah Centre near Brits<BR><BR>A trip through Soweto<BR><BR>Check out http://www.goafrica.co.za/joburg/tou...a_english1.stm for examples of South African English.<BR><BR>Try and eat at the Carnivore restaurant in Muldersdrift where you can eat as much game, eg zebra, buck, etc. as you like - maybe a little much for small stomachs. <BR>(See www.hellosa.co.za/Restaurant.asp?name=Carnivore)<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Lisa

hi Local<BR>With apologies to Michelle for hijacking her question to reply to Local. We both seem to land up answering the same questions.At least this is keeping your query near the top.<BR>I had been off for a while, computer woes, busy with other things but am now back planning our trip to SA. Was wondering where you were too. <BR>You'll have to post a trip report on Cape Town. Are they ever going to fix the Chapmans Peak Pass?<BR><BR>This carnivore restaurant sounds interesting. Will have to check it out

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 05:39 AM
local

Michelle, my sincere apologies for hijacking your posting!<BR><BR>Lisa, Chapman's Peak is open but there is a huge sign that says that you drive there at your own risk. We did not take the risk. www.candor.com/chapmanspeak/ however gives some interesting insight into this. I see on a SA news website that they plan to reopen the road in September this year.<BR><BR>The Carnivore restaurant is highly recommendable - not for vegetarians though....<BR><BR>See some photos on my Virtual Tourist site:<BR><BR>www.virtualtourist.com/m/.135749/656/?s=V<BR><BR>Let me know how your plans are coming and if I can help.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Lisa

I checked out the Carnivore website and it looks like a lot of fun. They do have a vegetarian menu and a fish choice. Local, have you been there and was it as much fun as it looks on the website?<BR><BR>I definitely will be contacting you for advice. But maybe not on Michelle's question. Although it is nice to get some back and forth postings. The Europe board has a lot more fun.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:20 AM
local

The Carnivore is indeed fun. I did not know that they have other menues - are not interested in them if I go there. I have been there twice before (it is a little far from where I live) but I have no problem in recommending it. They use the "lower the flag" policy. If you order the eat-as-much-meat-as-you-can menu, they bring you a little flag that stands next to your plate and as long as you do not lower the flag, they keep coming back with more meat. I am sure your family in Jhb will know about it.<BR><BR>I also like to check out the Europe board as there are sometimes some very interesting and funny postings.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Lisa

Topping for Taylor re Carnovore restaurant