Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

What to bring as gift from U.S. for Moroccan family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving next week for a trip to Morocco, which will end with preparing dinner with a Moroccan family. I won't know who they are or if they have children until that evening. We are doing this through a tour guide so we will be paying for the privilege, but I would still like to show my appreciation. Any thoughts or ideas on what would be appropriate? Is there something we could bring from here in the U.S. that they might like, or should I just wait until we get there and bring flowers or something?
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 05:23 AM

T-shirts for the adults? Pens or candies for the kids? Having been to Morocco, I would suggest something that they actually would use. After our trip, we decide to mail clothes and neutrogena face cream to a Berber home we visited in the High Atlas Mountains.
Happy Travels:
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 09:57 PM

Sallam 'lekum Laurie,
I see there hasn't been much response to your post, so I thought I'd just add my two bob's worth. You know, during one season of guiding in Morocco I visited (with a group each time) the same family for dinner each time. At the end of the season, I bought a fancy food mixer/station for the lady of the house...it has never been used! The next year, I simply offered a certain amount of money for each visit, to which the family were humbly grateful. My point is that Moroccans (both through their Islamic principles and their national custom) are quite simply very happy to host visitors in their home. It is considered "Baraka" (good luck/blessing). So presuming they are being adequately remunerated through the tour company, I would suggest just offering them a small souvenir from your homeland and perhaps taking/sending them a picture of the occasion, for them to proudly show their friends, family and other visitors.
Happy traveling through Morocco, and please give my regards to Felicity (Desert Majesty) if you come across her.
Darren
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies.
Darren, I'm so glad you've been active on this board.
Five more days.......!!!
Laurie
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 06:23 PM

HI blackmons!
When you care as much as you do about what to bring, then my guess is that whatever it will be will be a gesture from your heart. My husband and I traveled there in 2001, shortly after 9/11, and our guide invited us to his home to meet his family. They are beautiful people and very genuine from the heart. Bring something that has meaning to you. Some money is also good but some small token from your town or a local professional sports team. They are very proud people and when they see your pride in something, they will treat it with the same respect.
Enjoy!
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 10:47 PM

ttreq ssalama, ensha'llah ("have a peaceful trip, God willing"), Laurie.
Your fellow traveler,
Darren