Camera questions for SA safari

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
NDE
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera questions for SA safari

Hi,

we're going to SA in June and will be bringing my REbel XT Digital. I have a bunch of questions and welcome any and all suggestions. I have a regular lens, a wide angle and a telephoto 75-300 with image stabilzer. Should I get a bean bag given that my lenses are not that long . Is it worth getting a 400mm lens that is not a telephoto? Finally, I was planning on simply buying extra flash cards for memory because I don't want to bring a computer to download the images to the hard drive. Does that sound reasonable? Any other suggestions/precautions I should take would be most welcome.

thanks!

NDE
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM

I don't bring a computer either and just have more than enough memory. If you have room for a beanbag, it can't hurt.

Where are you going in SA? That may help on the 400.

If you think you'll use the 400 for numerous other activities or for future travel, you could get it in time for SA.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM

I just came back from Southern Africa and travelled with a Nikon D60. I only had a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens with me and found that to be fine so I dont think you will need anymore lenses. I used it for safari's, in the dunes of Namibia and in cities.

I was gone for 5 weeks and just bought a bunch of memory cards, they are cheap now and there was no need for a computer. If I wanted to back them up I could at an internet cafe in the cities we passed along the way. As for the beanbag, I brought one and never used it.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM

There are now products, like the Epson P5000 and lesser models that allow you to both back up and view your pictures. You can take that along also instead of a computer. Personally I want to have multiple backups of all my shots. Anything that is lost is gone forever. The 70-300 is a versatile lens. To have a fixed 400 will limit the number of shots you can take if you only have one camera body. The animals can get quite close to you and the 400 will not be able to deal well with them. I also would not invest in a bean bag for that lens. You will often be shooting up, down, to the back, to the right and the bean bag will just not work in a lot of situations.

Have a great time !

Mike
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM

NDE-

I've always left my laptop at home to avoid toting extra weight around and have brought extra CompactFlash cards along. SanDisk from time to time has great rebate deals that will save you big bucks, so keep an eye out for that. I have shot often with the 75-300 IS (on the original Rebel digital) and I've been happy with the results. I certainly recommend the bean bag which will help keep the lens steady, especially considering you are likely to shoot during low-light situations. (Tip: A simple bean bag (i.e., one that is not specifically meant for photography) is not that easy to find. I found that the Carex Bed Buddy Hot/Cold Pack is the perfect consistency. It costs about $10. You can cut it down on one end and stitch it back up.) I also have a 100-400 IS, preferring that to the fixed 400. I'd be afraid of losing shots if the animals got too close.

You can see some examples of shots with the 75-300 at my site (thesafariadvisor.com). Most photos (other than the ones from Tanzania) were likely shot with the 75-300.

Best of luck-

Steve
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
NDE
Original Poster

thanks everyone - you have been a great help!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM

NDE
ReRead your posting dated Feb 3rd, "Packing for SA in June 2009...." for more answers to your same question.

regards - tom
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Hello all,
Have a related question on camera. Do you find bringing a tripod to be helpful or is it just an extra thing to carry?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Tripods are useful, but not for safari rides. For the safari rides, I recommend a bean bag to help support the lens (assuming you're using an SLR). I often bring along a Slik MiniPro tripod, which, though not hi-tech, is small, doesn't weigh much, can be had for about $25-50, but helps keep the camera steady---it can, for example, be rested on a table if you're sitting on your lodge's deck.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 01:30 PM

BZ06 - Do you use a tripod often? If not, you'll likely find it especially awkward on safari. Some people like mono-pods. Others like bean/sand bags. Myself, don't like or use any of the above. But occasionally (not often) do need them.

regards - tom
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM

You'll most likely be in open game drive vehicles, so there really isn't anywhere you can put a beanbag. I use the lens that you have and find that handholding it works well. In the late evening or on night drives, you may need to rest the camera on the bar or seatback in front of you, but I don't think that taking a beanbag would be worth the extra weight or volume that it would take up in your luggage. Some lodges and camps have them available for their guests, though. You might see if that's the case where you are staying.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM

True, would not recommend filing your carry-on with full bean/sand bags. TSA probably would make you empty them out for inspection!!!!! So, lets see, what -could- you do? Wait, how about taking empty bean bags and putting beans/sand in them after you get there!!!! I'm a blooming genius!!!!

Having said that, I don't use beanbags anyway. But may start just so I can buy beans

regards - tom