Search

Best Time to Visit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Time to Visit?

My husband and I (60's) are planning to travel to Egypt in 2005...When would the weather be most favorable?
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 09:55 AM
sandi

From my own experience and input from others, late October/early November. This is after the extreme summer heat and before the high season of December/January.

Weather in Cairo will we warm, with cool nights. Luxor will be hot - in fact the further south you travel the hotter it gets, but tours are done early morning or late afternoons - inbetween you relax on your Nile cruise boat, indoors is air conditioned or under umbrellas on the top deck to watch life on the Nile pass you by.

And we found there aren't that many tourists during this time. It's not like the place is empty, far from it, but it's almost perfect. The only place we found crowds, were at the Museum in Cairo and that wasn't all so terrible once everyone dispersed around this massive building. The bazaar is always crowded during the day, less so at nighttime. But that's a bazaar.

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 07:55 PM

I have just returned from Egypt in october where you can expect around 30's in Cairo and high 30's/low 40's in Abu Simbel. I quite like the heat but if you are not a heat kind of person then, as sandi states, late oct/early nov are probably the go.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:26 AM
sandi

Dick04 - those temps are Celsius correct? not Fahrenheit!

So 'travelin2' if not certain, that means HOT. By, end Oct into November Cairo will cool a bit, but remember that South Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel are HOT, though relatively dry.

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:49 AM

I agree, I too just returned from Egypt and it can get very warm in Abu Simbel, Luxor, and Aswan in early Fall. We left in Late September and returned Mid-Oct. We are in our early 30's and it was very hot for us. The day we were at valley of the Kings it was 108F. So if heat is a problem I would suggest you go later in the season. But like others have suggested many of the tours will start early when it is cooler and end mid morning so that you will not be out in the heat of the day. As you may already know bring lots of sun screen, a hat and an unbrella if you can. we would lather ourselves down in sun screen and wear hats and some how still got a tan. The sun is very strong. But it's all worth it. Have a great time!