Search

Exchange cedis in the US

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exchange cedis in the US

Where can cedis be exchanged in the Chicago, Illinois Milwaukee, Wisconsin or Washington, DC area for US currency?
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Hi
In what country is cedis used as currency. I'm assuming it's Ghana because of your tag. My experience has been to get currency at the airport when you arrive. There is usually ATMs or a bank located there. The exchange rate might not be the best but it will get you to the hotel or wherever you are going. I have found that most banks in the US only carry currency from the more visited countries. I remember several years ago trying to exchange Romanian currency for US and practically being laughed out of the bank. Check with the largest banks that do alot of overseas transactions. The cost of the exchange would probably be very high. Good luck
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Believe OP is already in the US and wants to exchange the cedis to USD.

Can be difficult as it's not an oft used currency, so unless you go into a major ban - Citi, Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc. - unlikely and the rate of exchange will be lousy.

About how much do you believe these cedis amount to in USD?
If less than $50, it's almost not worth trying to locate a bank. If more... well that's your decision.

What you have to remember when departing a foreign country, especially if not an oft used currency, best to exchange before departing the foreign country. Of course you loose on the exchange, but not near as much if doing so in the US.

Good luck!
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Hi I just checked XE Currency Exchange website and currently $1 USD is egual to about 1.75 Cedi. They used the term "Cedi" and stated that "Cedis" were obsolete.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Interesting alan43... possible that Cedis wouldn't even be accepted for exchange if they're considered 'obsolete.'
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:33 AM

Cedis cannot be exchanged in the USA (or probably any other country outside of West Africa for that matter). Your best bet is to contact a Ghanaian tour operator based in the USA and try to arrange a sale of your cedis at a discounted rate. Or you could possibly try to arrange a sale through Trip Advisor.

Just remember that the cedi is constantly depreciating, so every day you hold them they become worth less than what you paid for them.