Reload this Page >

Is anyone interested in the Seychelles trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Regina

English is my fourth language but should I post my trip report anyway?

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 11:28 PM
Myriam

Yes, please do. I would be very interested. By the way, English is my 3rd language, so don't bother with mistakes or so! <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 09:25 PM
April

Please do! I've always wanted to go there.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 03:24 AM
Regina

After reading over and over again that the Seychelles Islands, which are 1,000 miles east of the African cost on Indian Ocean, form the glorious, lush, idyllic paradise we see only in colorful brochures, my husband and I decided to check them out personally. The truth is the real thing is much more stunning with some of the most beautiful beaches and fish, and birds on the planet, lush vegetation and flowers everywhere, many endemic birds, thousands of coco de mer plants with their erotic shapes of fruits easily distinguished between male and female, giant tortoises that are found only in two places in the world: Galapagos and Seychelles. <BR>The Seychelles government set the prices of hotels high to limit the number of visitors and to keep away any potential bacpackers. We stayed on only on three islands (Mahe, Praslin, and La Digue) but visited several more by boat. The highlights were on MAHE: snorkeling, diving in the crystal clear water, many beautiful beaches with sand as fine as white flour, full day trip to Ste. Marine National Park for picnic and snorkeling, the best sunset over Silhouette Island from our room in the Sunset Beach Hotel. <BR>PRASLIN: the best snorkeling in the world (in our opinion) around tiny St. Pierre Island for varieties of fish, seeing endemic Black Parrots, learning of Coco de Mer nut which is endemic to Seychelles. Cousin Island (visited from Praslin) which is bird reserve with more than 100,000 pairs of black lesser noodies, birds seemingly nesting on every branch, seeing adult white-tailed tropic birds sitting on an egg, seeing immature birds waiting and being fed, Cafe Des Arts, our home away from home for five nights, with lush gardens and miles of beach to walk on. <BR>LA DIGUE ISLAND: tremendous beaches, granite rock formations that seem almost unreal, Anse Source d'Argent reported to be the most beautiful amd most photographed beach in the world. <BR> <BR>More to come.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 02:41 AM
Regina

OVERALL: Seychelles are visited mostly by young European couples on their honeymoon. <BR>Travel agent: we tried to use one at the US but it was a very unpleasant experience so we booked directly with two hotels and saved some money too. However, Cafe Des Arts requested a money transfer. They all have e-mails and fax numbers which we found in our guide book. <BR>Languages spoken: French, English, and Creole <BR>Accommodations: Camping is not allowed in the Seychelles, nor are there any hostels or motel-type accommodations. On arrival one must show his or her ticket back home and prepaid accommodation. <BR>The best time to go suppose to be July and August. <BR>We are going back next year for another two weeks. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:43 AM
Myriam

Regina, <BR>Do you have any experience with scuba diving in the Seychelles? How were the opportunities on the islands where you've been? <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:06 AM
Regina

Hi Myriam: <BR>My husband went diving with La Digue Lodge where we were staying and he still talks about a variet of fish he saw around Coco Island. I found in my file a brochure we picked up at La Digue Island Lodge PADI dive shop with their e-mail address: [email protected] Maybe you could send them e-mail and ask specific questions. Their brochure lists 29 dive sites from La Digue accordig to season, experience (or not), depth, terrain, features and marine life. I am sorry I do not have any more information on diving but I found Sarah Carpin "Seychelles" guide book an excellent source when planning our trip. This book also has a chapter on diving.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:15 AM
Regina

My message got posted before I checked spelling and before I typed my final statement. Anyway here it is: If you have any questions about islands we visited, places we stayed in, day trips we took I will be happy to answer them. And thank you for asking

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:02 AM
Myriam

Thanks for your reply. <BR>I will surely recontact you if we decide to go to the Seychelles. We are still in doubt if we choose the Seychelles or the Maldives for our January holidays. <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Jeani

Did you hear of any reasonably priced accommadations in the Seychelles? Is there a travel agent there that was helpful? What is the weather like in December? Any special tips about what to avoid or be careful of or what is special and shouldn't be missed?

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Regina

Hi Jeani: <BR>You really do not need a travel agent to arrange your trip to Seychelles. Every hotel has a Fax and most of them have e-mail addresses which we found the best and fastest way to communicate. Therefore I cannot recommend any travel agent but if I had my preference it would be definitely an agent in Seychelles. All agents in the US use local agents in Seychelles anyway. <BR>Regarding accommodations I am not certain what do you mean by: "reasonably priced accommodations?" <BR>Is it US $200-250? With or without meals? I suggest you check out Sarah Carpin guidebook on Seychelles. It has many practical information regarding weather, hotels, snorkeling, diving, island hoping, beaches, restaurants. It also includes color maps and beautiful pictures. It was the best source of information when planning our trip. There are so many, many different things that shouldn't be missed but it is hard to list them without knowing your interests.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Nicole

How much this trip cost you?

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 12:17 PM
Giovanna

What is the best place to stay on Mahe that won't be too far from the airport and it won't cost a fortune. We need to stay there only one or mambe two nights before flying back to Rome

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 06:36 AM
adrianne

We returned from a week on the Seychellesin October and were incredibly disappointed. We had heard such glorious things about the island and had loved Tahiti and Bermuda and decided to go. <BR>A big disappointment. The country would not accept their own currency...they preferred U.S. dolars or So. African rands. Tourist idustry not well organized. Took a prepaid ($70 per person) ferry ride and town tour of La Digue with Mason Travel and the tour guide was basically indifferent. If you are European, I guess that's the destination for honeymooners as was quite apparent on our trip. However, coming from the U.S., I would have much preferred Bermuda or a return to Moorea or Bora Bora where we found the natives were much friendlier and accommodating.<BR>This was a trip extension after a safari in Zimbabwe, Botswana and So. Africa, so we thought we would extend to see the Seychelles as we were so close. Save your money!!

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Gina

I am not certain what were your expections Adrianne. Please help me figure this out because we love the Seychelles.<BR>Tourist industry is exceptionally well organized. First, there are no motel type accommodations, only small hotels not higher than palm trees are constructed and backpackers are not allowed. Furthermore, on your arrival you need to show your return ticket and have already accommodations arranged. To avoid confusion most hotels post prices in US$ but credit cards are accepted everywhere. So it is not a big deal because your credit card statement will show charges in ruppis and US$. Why did you go with a tour group to La Digue (which is in a town but an island)? It is so easy to get around without any organized tour. People are fantastic and welcomed us the US citizens every time we went there. However, I realized that it is hard to get to know local people in any place when one is with a tour group. If you were not happy with a tour guide sent e-mail to the Mason company because they have a good reputation and I am sure they will take proper action. We used them only once but felt that there were too many people in that group and by then we learned that we could make our own arrangements. <BR>You are right that there are not many American citizens which made us feel very special. I also agree that it is an expensive destination and many European can afford to go there only once in their life time like for honeymoon. For the US citizens who usually have only two weeks vacation it is a very remote destination. Too many hours traveling. We are lucky because we do not have to worry about any time frame and we always stop in Paris for a few days on the way there and on the way back. Too bad you did not see many positive and wonderful things about that country. Where did you stay Adrianne? Did you organized this trip on your own or through a travel agent in the US? We did not have a good experience with a travel agent here in the States when planning our first trip to the Seychelles and we fired him/her. During our first trip we learned very quickly how much we saved by making our own reservations. I am so eager to find out more details from you because we love the Seychelles and plan to return there many times. Hope you have some positive things to say about your whole trip.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 11:54 AM
THAVERY

Regina,<BR>Which island (Mahe or Praslin) has the giant tortoises?<BR>

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:45 AM
Gina

Cousin, Aride, Courieuse (where we saw the biggest number). <BR>Esmeralda on Bird Island is the world's largest, heaviest (over 700 pounds), and oldest (over 200 years old). After Emeralda got this name it was discoverd that she is he. <BR>The giant tortoises found in the Seychelles are the same spiecies that can be find only in one more place------Galapagos

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:05 PM
THAVERY

From which island that you visited Bird Island?

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:20 PM
THAVERY

Hi Gina,<BR><BR>Also, did you fly nonstop from Paris to Seychelles? And with what airlines??<BR><BR>Thavery

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Gina

Only way to get to Bird Island is from Mahe on a flight that is arrranged for the guests of the Bird Island Lodge. There are no day viitors allowed. As you may know there is no other accommodation on Bird and only people who live there are those who work in the lodge. What a great place for those who like birds. <BR>We flew directly from Paris on Air France which is actually operated by Air Seychelles. You may fly directly from Milan, Rome, Frankfurt,Dubai, Nairobi, and probably a few other places

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -