Which new camera for safari?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it's time to invest in another camera since I only have the Canon S3 and a 5yr old Nikon 65 film camera and we leave in 38 days for SA. Someone posted that black and white images are better using a film camera and I would love to try that but think my Nikon may be too old? If I do invest in another camera, I am considering the Canon Rebel since it seems lightweight and easy to use so if anyone can comment on that, I'd love to hear, or if you have any other recommendations-the camera/lens must be lightweight first, and easy to use, second. Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM

BW images are only better with film if you decide to print them. I mean; BW print methods are not that good apparently.

Anyway, do you print? Or make albums for your PC? Do you work in BW in the first place?

I guess the Canon rebel is indeed a good choice. Or the Nikon counterpart. What is even better is a Canon 5D or 5DmkII. You cannot believe what a good wide angle can do for landscapes. Of course, a full frame cam, even there "entry level models", are more expensive than a rebel.

As important, or even more important is the glass you buy. A good wide angle lens, a good tele lens, ... they don't come cheap. My advise here would be to bite the bullet and go for the expensive L-glass (in case of Canon) right away. It's actually less expensive than getting lenses that have flaws and then replacing them over and over with better models until you end up with L glass anyway.

Ciao,

J.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

I would print the BW images and this camera probably will not get much use other than this safari, unless I get lucky enough to return to Africa. Lightweight and cost will be an issue.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM

What don't you like about the Canon S3? It has a great zoom range, 35mm-420mm, for safari. It has a B/W mode, look under "Functions, Effects" (or Functions, Colors). Have you tried that? You can convert color digital images into B/W using several different ways. Are you conversant with Photoshop? If not it or something else like it, I would not even consider doing B/W.

Not sure you have looked at all possibilities. And, what's the Canon Rebel and one small zoom lens going to cost you , $1,000? However, if what you really want is a new DSLR , sure go for it.

regards - tom
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM

moremiles, I believe any of the cameras in the line of Canon DSLRs will give you good results, providing you have a quality lens. I started with the original Rebel, then moved up to the 40D. I've been very happy with both. I purchased a Rebel XT for my daughter-in-law, who had no photography background and who never used an SLR, and she takes just terrific shots using the automatic mode. My advice is to visit an electronics/photography store and see which camera 'feels' right in your hand.

I agree with pixelpower about the importance of the lens and that the 'L' series lenses are great (wonderful color, sharp). They are expensive, however ($1000-2000 range). (One thing about the 'L' lenses is that, provided they are kept in good condition, they appear to depreciate very little.) If your budget doesn't allow for an 'L' lens, I would consider the 70-300 IS (image stabilized), which can be had for a bit more than $500.

Best of luck, Steve
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM

We just returned from safaris in S. Africa and Tanzania and took over 2,000 photos with our brand new Canon Rebel T1i. It's a great camera.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:24 PM

"camera/lens must be lightweight first, and easy to use, second."

You're not going to beat the Canon S3 you have if that is your 1st and 2nd requirements.

regards - tom
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

The S3 is great but just thought that I should get something with a more powerful zoom, esp. for birds. I may just stay with this one however, since who knows if I will ever get back to Africa and certainly don't need a higher end camera for my future trips.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

Tis true the more zoom (focal length) you have for birds the better. The S3's longest is 430mm. This is pretty "long" and to get more with a DSLR is going to cost upwards of $3,000 ( for the "cheap" stuff). As for size and weight? You wouldn't believe me if I told you

regards - tom
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM

Moremiles, if you really are into BW and want to print your safaris in BW, then digital is not an option for you. None of the digital cameras, even the most expensive ones. A BW images from a DSLr can never produce the level of shades and gradients that is needed for a good barite print as you know it from normal film.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM

If you are looking to do some quality bird photography you probably would need a minimum 500 mm lens, which is really expensive ($5000-6000). Sounds like you're ok standing pat.

BTW, I came across the site below about a year ago, sort of by accident, and thought you might enjoy browsing. Under 'About' you can see the types of gear used. I think the phtographer's work is brilliant.

http://www.roysephotos.com/

Steve
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM

Found this recently: http://www.pbase.com/cameras
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:18 PM

@sdb2---Thanks for that link, I think that is some of the best bird photography I've ever seen, and what's most amazing is the sheer number of different species he has stupendous shots of!

Can't help much with the original question as it relates to Canon (since I'm a Nikon shooter), except to agree that the lens is in many ways more important than the camera. But you are looking at spending at least $2K for a quality safari lens plus the least expensive DSLR. (The Canon 100-400IS would be my #1 lens choice in your position, but its about $1500.) If its not something you will use once you get home, then stick with your S3 which offers you plenty of zoom, enough for just about anything except the small birds.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm considering the Nikon D60 with the 55-200mm lens since I've been told the photos will be better than my S3 since it has a larger sensor? I can buy this camera new with case and cards for under $1000 with my rebate. Do you think the pictures will be noticeably better than with my S3?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM

You are ok with the size and weight of the D60 and 55-200? FWIW, I think the D60 withe the 18-200 would suit you better. And yes, the D60 and whichever lens has the -potential- to be better than the S3. It's the Indian, not the arrows that counts.

regards - tom
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM

Something for people to consider is if they want to take a big good long zoom, like the 100-400L or similar, there are plenty of places that rent lenses. In this way you are not stuck with an expensive piece of glass when you get back. Also lenses do not depreciate much, you can buy a lens and easily get 80-90% back from purchase price.

Mike
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM

Oops, I hit Submit, not Preview. Why is the Submit button "before" the Preview button? Bad design Fodors. And BTW, how do we all now like the new forums format . But I digress.

Anyway, still take the S3 because if you do get the D60 and 55-200 the S3 will give you a bit better wide angle shot (that's why I suggested the 18-200). But mainly the S3 takes remarkable -videos- (and sound), have you tried it? You may find videos of safari scenes very memorable, we do.

So, now we've just more than doubled the size and weight for you . You'll almost need a second carry-on bag!!!

regards - tom
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Ha, there is no way I can take the S3 as a backup, only a small p&s. Weight is definitely an issue and the Nikon all in is not too heavy but is slightly more than the s3. If the Nikon will take considerably better photos than the S3, I probably would invest in it but sure hope to get back to Africa again to use it. The S3 is all I need for the rest of my travel.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM

ah if you are considering Nikon... You might also look at the new Nikon D5000 which shoots video and I've seen a kit with two lenses--the 18-55 and the 55-200vr--for about $1100.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM

You are looking at a big change moving from a point and shoot to a DSLR. You'll need every one of those 38 days to really learn how to use the DSLR to the point where you can take better pictures than you do with the S3. Speaking from experience, it's actually quite easy to end up with worse results using a DSLR on Auto than a point and shoot. It's even easier to end up with worse results using "real" shooting modes on a DSLR compared to a point and shoot on Auto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -