Search

Israel, Car rental

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 02:08 PM
Alex

Israel, Car rental

We are going to Israel at the end of March for 3 weeks(two adults and 5 year old). <BR>Obviously we would like to see as mach as possible. <BR> <BR>We think we would need to rent a car. <BR>1. I am trying to find out if it would be cheaper to do from US or Israel, in advance or on arival. <BR>2. What about insurance...? <BR>3. Can someone recomend an afordable car rental company? <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 02:18 PM
Michele

Alex, <BR>I've never rented a car in Israel, but I have friends who have. You might want to make arrangements here - almost everyone I've talked to got burned rather badly when they set up arrangements to rent a car while in Israel. Also, I was told to stick with well known car rental agencies, they are more reputable. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 08:27 AM
John

Hi, Alex, <BR>I'd book from the US end in order to avoid hassle and possible dollar/shekel issues (many tourism-related charges, like hotels and car rentals, are priced in dollars rather than shekels, in order to avoid Israeli taxes.) <BR>A car will be a drawback in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem because of traffic and parking, but indespensible in the rest of the country. So it depends on your itinerary as to when and where to pick it up and drop it off. In the cities, taxis are cheap and preferable IMO. <BR> <BR>As far as companies are concerned, all the majors are there and you can shop rates over the web. Check with your own insurance people and see if your credit card covers CDW overseas. I would not go without collision insurance in Israel, unless you're used to driving in Mediterranean countries and/or are independently wealthy.

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Judy

We used Avis Israel on our last trip to Israel several years ago and had no problems at all. We will be in Israel this March as well and have already reserved a car for one of the two weeks. <BR> I think it's worth the peace of mind to reserve in advance. Avis Israel has a website http://www.avis.co.il/ as well as a toll free number from the US and Canada, 1-800-638-4016. Be sure to ask for an upgrade. (I checked other agencies as well - Hertz, Eldan, Thrifty - prices are fairly similar.) <BR>The previous poster's advice is good - you don't want or need a car in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. There is no extra charge to drop off the car in a different city; so an option, for example, is to spend a week or so in Jerusalem, rent a car to travel around, and then return the car to the airport when you leave.

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 08:22 PM
Lynda

Check out AutoEurope. I have consistently found them to be the cheapest and best. If you credit card covers you....there is no need for insurance.