Need a private tour guide for Winelands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for suggestions for a private tour guide who is knowledgeable about Franshook and Stellenbosch.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM

when are you travelling? Do you need a vehicle too?
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM

The finest wine guide I know is Glen Christie of Vineyard Ventures. We used her services for a full day in Franshoek, Stellenbosch and Paarl in 2004 and most recently in September of 2005. She has a great vehicle and is terribly knowledgeable about wines and the local vintners who all know her by sight. In addition, she has a most enjoyable personality and made our "ventures" a lot of fun as well.

Her website is www.vineyardventures.co.za.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM

ellene,
If you want to spend a couple of days and stay at different B&B's or wineries, by all means talk to a tour guide or arrange a driven tour.
But if you'd like to drive the area, it is very easy. My husband and I took just one day and in less than an hour from Cape Town found dozens of wineries, good roads, small towns and spectacular mountains. We had no difficulty driving on the "wrong side of the road", since we'd been driving for 2 weeks in South Africa by then. We stopped whenever we wanted to for photographs, lunch etc.
The wineries are very welcoming and informative. Pick up some brochures or talk to someone at your hotel or B&B before you go,....and enjoy yourself.
- Joan
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

would like a tour guid with a vehicle
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Hi,
I second the recommendation for Vineyard Ventures. We organised a day-long tour of various wineries with this company a few years ago and were very impressed. The guide (whose name I cannot remember) was extremely knowledgeable and our day was an absolute delight from beginning to end. She picked us up from our hotel in Franschoek and drove us from winery to winery, stopping for a great lunch at Vergelegen. Very accommodating and friendly - felt more like we were visiting the area with a friend than on an "organised" tour.