Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cairo: Egyptian Museum Mummy Room & Solar Boat - should I add??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still tweaking my itinerary for next February. There was a recent post regarding no photos at the Egyptian Museum. Just as a FYI, according to Misr Travel in N.Y. this a.m., photos have never been allowed in the museum. Something about over-crowding at the respective exhibits.

Anyway, my question today is regarding whether the mummy room at the museum ($20pp) would be worth the money (the cost is for the a/c required to keep the room in good working order); and also if the Solar Boat ($15pp) should be added as well. These 2 items are not currently on our scheduled Cairo tour.

Thanks for your continued advice!

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Photos were definitely allowed in the Egyptian Museum when I was there in Jan 2003. They were not however allowed in the Mummy room.

The Mummy room was really good, but i am sure I did not pay an extra 20$, maybe around 5-7. I was not part of a tour, just paid the extra at the entrance to the room. It seems to me your tour is marking the price way up.

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM

From the official museum site :

http://www.egyptianmuseum.gov.eg/visitor_tickets.html

40LE (6.45 USD) for the Mummy Room, 10 LE photos no flash
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I have visited the Egyptian Museum on three occasions and I have the photos to prove it. Misr is wrong. Even if photos are currently banned, in the past non-flash photography was permitted. Be that as it may, the museum is wonderful and worth visiting even if you can't photograph the exhibits.

The mummy room was much less expensive when I visited, and you'll need to decide if its worth $20 to see the actual mummies.

I have also visited the pyramids on each of my trips and I didn't visit the solar boat so I can't comment, unless you read something into my decision to skip the boat.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:43 AM

The boat is an absolute must for us - we go in November, what a find - to see a complete boat that was made so many many years ago is hard to fathom. (as is ALL of the sites in Egypt) We wont miss it!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your very quick replies. I have also checked admission prices, and it seems that the $20 per person to the mummy room is out of line for booking ahead. Would there be any problem booking it when we get to the museum?

I know I've seen photos from inside the museum, so someone sometime was able to take them. Perhaps they change their policies depending on crowds. Could be, though, that non-flash is okay. Just am a bit uncomfortable leaving the camera with the "coat check" if we can't take it in. Decisions...decisions...

Regarding the boat, I remember seeing the Mary Rose (England) when it was first on display years ago (it was still being showered 24/7 with water), and it was pretty neat. Can't remember the age of that boat, though. I assume this Solar Boat is older. Could be we include that as well. I just don't want to shortcut my tour to the pyramids as the tour operator said this would also be included on that same day.

Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM
sandi

kopp - there was a thread - an Egyptian trip report taken recently and recall specifically that the poster mentioned that NO PHOTOS were permitted in the Museum; this may be a recent change. However, when we visited, we did take photos without flash throughout the museum including the Tut exhibit (another room that is air conditioned). But there were absolutely no photos permitted in the Mummy Room and visitors here had to be quiet - respect for the dead.

We did not visit the Solar Boat, so cannot comment. The Mummy Room though is a must. As to the cost, USD$20, and US$15 for the Mummy Room and Solar Boat, respectively, is what tour operators charge. I am sure you can purchase tickets for both of these on-site at a lesser cost, but I'd verify beforehand so as not to be disappointed. Check to see if there is a website with specific pricing information.

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Check out http://www.touregypt.net/egyptmuseum...an_museumg.htm. In April, to do the exchange I divided by 6 to find out the U.S. value. I would not have missed the mummy room for anything. It really did give me chills. The solar boat is also amazing as it is in such wonderful condition. Just be extremely careful when using your camera it does not flash accidentally anywhere you are as it causes big time problems with the guards. You will have your camera confiscated.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Various places in Egypt where no photos or no flash was allowed we were still permitted to bring camera in - did not need to check it. But agree with previous poster - they can get very nasty if you use flash when not permitted - my 12 year old forgot to turn off flash and I think it was only her age that made them not confiscate her camera.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:51 AM

Last month when I was at the Egyptian Museum everyone had to leave their cameras at a special kiosk near the main entrance, and you picked it up on your way out. I didn't realise this was the rule until I was practically at the last bag-screening check and they told me I had to go back to the entrance and leave my camera there.

I don't recall seeing anyone taking pictures inside, not even the usual few people that think these rules are for everyone else but them.

The Mummy Room was only a few dollars, I don't recall how many exactly - 40 Egyptian Pounds rings a bell. My tour left me for half an hour at the end to go and see what I wanted and people could decide for themselves whether they wanted to go in the Mummy Room then. There wasn't a big queue for entry so I can't see any advantage to getting a ticket for this in advance.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Hello,
I posted about the no camera situation under Trip Report:Cairo. Whatever the past policy was on this, when we were there September 2004, cameras were definetly not allowed in the museum. We were there in the afternoon and it was not very crowded. I kept telling the ticket booth man that I wanted to buy a camera ticket (as instructed by guidebooks) but he kept shaking his head. When you pass security check, they check for cameras and if they find one you have to go back to the main entrance to leave your camera. I did not see anyone taking any photos flash or not. There are guards around and you could be yelled at for taking photos. I don't know why the change in policy or if it was a temporary thing but this was the case Sep. 2004. Same with what I posted about regarding pyramids.

To buy tickets for the mummy room, you simply line up in front of the ticket booth located in front of the mummy room (once you are inside the museum). There is no need to book tickets in advance etc etc. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of descriptions etc. inside the room but had I not seen it, I would probably have regretted it. Did not visit the solar boat so cannot comment on that.
Have fun organizing the trip!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:35 AM

I saw both last April and both are impressive for different reasons.

Just buy your tickets once in the museum. There may be a line for the Mummy's room, but we were lucky on the day we tried to visit. Just 6 or 8 persons before us.
However, a word of notice... the ticket agent tried to cheat on people twice in front of my husband's eyes (the guy was not giving back the correct amount when you gave him a banknote....)
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I just got back from Egypt (see my report today)and visited Cairo museum .Price for mummies room ws 70 Eg pounds((+/-10usd )and 35 for children or students.
I can assure you that you are better to leave your camera in a safe place before entering museum.If you are taken ,they will seize it-confirm!
On other side,if you have chance to visit Luxor museum you can take pictures(or even film) without flash.It has now 2 mummies (one is (supposed)Ramses I)