Search

best time to go on safari?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Marilyn Blaisdell

best time to go on safari?

My husband and I are planning a safari to Kenya and Tanzania. We would like to learn what times of year for maximum wildlife viewing others have experienced.We are particularly interested in the big cats, elephants, giraffe and cape buffalo as well as birds. Look forward to some guidance.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Greg

My wife and I just spent the last two weeks of September in Tanzania, and we saw everything...lions, buffalo, cheetah, leopard, lots of elaphant and giraffe, just everything. This is our only visit so far, so I can't really compare it to other times of the year, but we were definitely not disappointed.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Dick

Marilyn, Planning a trip can be frustrating yet also a very rewarding time as one can get a good feel on things before actually being there. Our post &quot;Tanzania and back&quot; is accounting of our trip. Have only been to East Africa once so I speak from only a one trip basis. Timing of trip depends on lots of things. For us we included &quot;off&quot; season versus other times as we need to keep budget in mind. Also, wanted to take daughter but did not want to take her out of school. Crowds vary depending on time of year. A birder might need to bear in mind seasonal availability of key species. I read quite a bit on East Africa and we decided the mid-June time was best for us. Should you be able to custominze your trip versus the standard packaged safari I would imagine you will have a bit more latitude in your ventures. In any case, good luck in the planning and by all means have a great trip. Hope you will post on the trip afterwards.<BR>Dick

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Gina

Marilyn, my husband and I went on two safaris to Kenya. In June 2000 and February/March 2002. I don't think you can go wrong any time you decide to go but I would avoid the rain season. <BR><BR>Both times we had such incredible experience that we would like to go back again. Animals and birds were plentiful both times<BR><BR>Do you know what camps you would like to stay in? <BR><BR>How many animals you will see it depends on a camp where you are going to stay and on the guides you will have. Our guides were fantastic. They all had gentle sense of humor and unbelivable knowledge of animals and birds. Last time we had guides to ourselves in each camp (we stayed in four camps). <BR><BR>The birds in Kenya are amazing. There are so many of them and so colorful. Every time I look the photo I took of lilac-breasted roller I want to go back and repeat our experience.<BR>If you would like more details please let me know or you may e-mail me directly adding 23 to the above address. I have a very long trip report but it is too long opus to be introduced on this forum. Besides I had unpleasant experience after posting one of my reports here.<BR>Anyway I will be glad to tell you what we saw and where.<BR>Both times we saw all animals you want to see. We also saw three types of giraffes and both zebras and leopard and many baby lions and Great Migration and hippos and rhinos. Should I go on?

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Liz Frazier

Yes Gina;<BR><BR>Go on and on and on. Where did you see the Migration? I want to go back to Tanzania just for that experience. On my first safari to Kenya, I too, took some pictures of birds and when I got them developed they were all of the lilac breasted roller. Isn't that funny? I actually prefer Botswana to East Africa now, but the Migration can ONLY be seen in East Africa. What a magnificent spectacle. Most all of us here love trip reports. If someone didn't, they just can skip over it. The majority read this to catch that kind of thing. Many, many people have shared their safaris with us and have had rave reviews. Thank you. Liz

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Gina

Hi Liz<BR>OK. I got 12 e-mails requesting my trip report so I think maybe should post it here? Sometime this week. <BR>You are right, Liz, if someone doesn't want to read they can skip over it.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:10 AM
kavey

Gina Gina Gina post it please!<BR<BR>Can't wait to read it...<BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Lisa

Gina we're waiting for your report

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Heather

Me too Gina! Rather than bothering you with an e-mail I'll eagerly await your report <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Jean

Me too. thanks

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:07 AM
Gina

Well, my very, very long safari report is up. <BR>Thank you all for asking