Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

'm Packed and Over the weight. limit.. to bad!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
sandi

Just finished packing. And sure enough, I'm over the weight limit. Not my main bag (that might even be under the 15Kg), but when I consider the carryon and camera equipment - I blew it, too bad!

Thankfully, it's not the busy season, so I doubt the planes will be full, though they may send out the smaller planes for less passengers. You'll certainly hear me from there, if they leave any of my belongings behind.

Not leaving till Thursday, but am saving tomorrow for the "girly" stuff - manicure and pedicure. I'm such a princess, even in Africa. So we plan to do a "day of beauty" for the local Masai women - got plenty of nailpolish, emery boards, orange sticks, etc. (no polish remover... it'll just have to grown out)... oh, and lipsticks, as giveaways. Different, yes, but recall on previous trips, practically being attacked by the Masai women who only wanted my nailpolish. I should shop in the 99-cent store more often... some great colors for dark hued women. Will definitely let you know how this is received... might just have another item you all can bring over.

I checked the weather forecasts and there are still afternoon thunderstorms (coming out of the "long" rains), but amazingly the 10-day forecast shows that yellow thing in the sky. Whooopie!!! Temps in Tanzania are running high-70s/low 80s humid on the coast and Kenya in the mid/high 70s... certainly better then the chill we've had in NYC these past few days; have a base tan so the Equatorial sun doesn't cook the bod!

For right now, Thursday can't get here soon enough. Friends left yesterday and we're meeting them out at Kirawira; also hope to meet climbhighsleeplow while we're there. He's supposed to be camping out in the Serengeti with some Masai buddies. And when my friend puts her hubby on the plane in JRO, she'll meet up with us in the Mara for four days, after we've already been in the Laikipia Highlands.

Although I'm not one to touch base with home while on holiday, I just might be tempted to say "hello" if a keyboard jumps up and positions itself under my fingers... but I can't guarantee I won't toss it instead. My vacations are just that - a vacation! Unfortunately, time will go too fast, that I'll next be posting a trip report. So, till mid-June...........

Old May 24th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Lin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandi, Have a fantastic trip! If you do check in while in Africa, put a better identifying name on your post - like, Sandi checking in! - it would be awesome to hear straight from Africa (although, I'm with you, I tend to forget ALL about home while there). Can't wait to hear about it.
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Have a great trip, Sandi! I'm excited for you (and jealous!). I'm sure your girlie stuff will be a big hit. And I hope your luggage works out. Last year I was very worried about my carry on being overweight but it was never checked and I pretended it wasn't heavy. Have fun!
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM

How exciting, be safe and have a blast!!
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM

The girlie stuff is such a great idea - and a great way to use all the free giveaway stuff I get that I never use when I buy cosmetics. Also, I have a ton of soaps collected from business hotels - would that be good as well?

Have a great trip.

csuss
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Don't know why, but I find the giving of hotel soaps and nail varnish to Masai women a little offensive. Sandi, I understand you are doing it in good faith...but Masai women do not wear nail varnish....nor do they use smelly perfumed soap from Holiday Inns. My feeling is enjoy their culture but do not impose yours on them. I hope you accept this in the way it was meant..just my opinion.
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Sandi:

I'm so jealous of you leaving this week! I know you will have an absolutely fantastic time. When you see the eles. think of me!

We will miss you here, but will be waiting with baited breath for your report on your return.

Safe and happy traveling!

Jan
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Have a great trip and share your findings upon your return, including how the Avon party went. I have some of the same thoughts and reservations as Mincepie, but do let us know how it goes.

Don't forego any wildlife viewing in search of a keyboard for updates.

Old May 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Just popped in to see what I've been missing lately -- glad I'm in time to wish you a WONDERFUL trip! Me, I'm off to the wilds of LA La land for a couple of days, on my last ever business trip.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Sandi-
You have been a real inspiration to me while I was planning this trip. We leave same time next week but, unortunately, won't be crossing paths. I'll try to write/post when we return.
Until then, Kwa hari,
Howard
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:32 AM
sandi

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Mincepie - As to the nail varnish, I would never have thought of this until the Masai women were so insistent - touching, checking out my nails, top/under, specifically asking for polish - during my last few trips. So I promised myself, that should I make another trip - to remember this request. We don't plan to make a big deal out of this, where some of them receive and others don't... rather work with those at our individual camps, and the few woman at local manyattas. It's not like we're bringing a case of polish and lipsticks - just enough to fit in our carryon. And while it's not a good idea to share lipsticks, polish can be.

I would never think to bring any pefumed items - perfume, toilet water, etc. Especially since I won't bring for myself anything that would atttract "flying things." My own lotions, deodorant and shampoos are unscented.

So many of us bring items for children to be donated to schools which I too have done, I just felt that since the women in these countries work very hard, they do deserve a little something "special." Will let you know how this is received.

I'll miss you all while away, but right now, got to get myself in gear to walk across the street to have myself pampered. There's a nail salon on just about every street here in NYC.

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Have a safe and fantastic journey!
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Sandi,

I am so excited for you.

Have a great time and take a lot of pictures with your new camera!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Sandi

Have a wonderful safe & exciting trip. It will be fantastic I am sure.

J
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM

sandi - Be well!
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Dear Sandi,

You are always so helpful! Have a wonderful trip. We shall be waiting your report upon return!!!!
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Thanks for clarifying about the cosmetics. Best wishes for a safe and exciting trip!
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Sandi,
Have a great trip. Looking forward to a report with pics--please.
Dick
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Sandi: I hope you can read this before you go. My very best to you. My memories of Kirawira are so warm and happy. Travel well and in good health.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:37 AM
sandi

What can I say, but thanks to all of you for your good wishes. In some place in my heart, everyone I know ventures forth with me, especially on my African trips. So you're all getting a kind of free ride - lucky you all!

I still have a full day ahead of me - do hope to get in a massage - before the car service picks us up for the airport. Gotta get off here and get moving.

If the opportunity presents itself, I'll catch up while away; otherwise, on my return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -