Search

Mount Grace in Jo'burg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mount Grace in Jo'burg

Has anyone stayed at the Mount Grace (sister property of The Grace) ? We'll be spending 2 days sleeping & relaxing after a long plane ride. Depart on day 3 for Botswana camps. Any help would be welcome.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:47 AM

I've stayed at Mount Grace a few times - the most recent just last month - and it is one of my favourites. Will you be in Stone Village, Mountain Lodge or Tree Tops? I think Tree Tops is the nicest - but that's a personal thing. The hotel is exceptional, it was the first of the trio (the Grace Rosebank and Cape Grace followed) and really charming. The grounds are lovely and the chef brilliant. Service is also good - the management are visible and active. It's the perfect place to unwind after a long trip, enjoy the heated pool on the far side of the croquet lawn. Just remember that Mount Grace is a country hotel - it is not in Johannesburg, but in fact in Magaliesberg. Depending on the time of day and how fast you go, the drive direct from Jo'burg international airport to the hotel can take between one and two hours. That two hours max is during rush hour and including getting stuck in a traffic delay on the bypass highway.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Traci, Thank you for your feedback on Mount Grace. I knew it would take an hour but didn't realize it could be two. Do you know of any country place closer to the airport? Judy
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:37 AM

Try Fairlawns, a small luxury boutique hotel not far from the airport - www.fairlawns.co.za .
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:39 PM

Hi Judy<BR>What time does your flight get in? It really will impact greatly on the time it takes to get to Mount Grace. If you do not decide to stay there, an alternative is The Quatermain Inn. It's in Morningside, Sandton and about 20-30 minutes from the airport. It's not a country hotel, but is set in a quiet residential suburb, and is a small boutique style place that is just lovely - and also very reasonable.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Traci &amp; King : Our flight arrives at 10:20 AM. Sorry for my delay in responding as have been out of town. The Fairlawns looks great. Have you stayed here?. I'm now going to check the Quartermain Inn. Thank you.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Hi Jann<BR>Be warned - a large number of international flights get into JIA in the morning so it can be a bit of a zoo at that time of the day. I would say that allowing for an hour to clear passport control, collect your bags, clear customs and either collect your hire car or find your transfer driver: you will be on the road by 11h20 at the latest. Again - provided that there is no major accident and resulting snarl-up on the N3/N1 bypass - you will be at Mount Grace within an hour. On the web you can find the Quatermain at http://www.threecities.co.za/quatermain.htm<BR>