Reload this Page >

Travel with McClure and Sadek

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Pete

It has been noted that when a posting is started to establish a place to exchange currant travel information or conditions on destinations such as Egypt, it seems that the above and others similar choose it to as a continuing forum for debate or political comments unrelated to travel. <BR><BR>I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NICE TO ESTABLISH A PLACE for McClure, Sadek and those of similar ilk to travel together. This will allow their comments to be on top almost all of the time so none of their friends or foes will miss anything.<BR><BR>We hope that you all will take advantage of this opportunity.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:52 PM
L

Gosh, Pete, that makes an awful lot of sense ... terrific idea.<BR><BR>Ciao<BR><BR>Pssst: just between us, what does it mean?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Pete

Well L, believe it or not there are people out there that plan to travel to destinations in africa and the middle east that desire current travel information and who would like to hear the comments from those that have recently visited such destinations as Jordan, Egypt or Morocco for example. <BR><BR>There are people that seem to wish to use such posts for their own political agenda with an intent to discourage travel to such destinations. <BR><BR>Considering the spin of our government, other governments, the media and others, it is very difficult to get any accurate information about these areas except though people that have just been there or experienced travelers. <BR><BR>I expect that this problem will go on regardless of what is said or done. If given the chance, I thought it would be fun to see if the people in this catagory would confine their political comments and arguements to just one place without cluttering the rest of the posts in this section. <BR><BR>I am a dreamer.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:26 AM
tarek

Thanks, Pete, for the wake up call. I apologize to anyone I might have annoyed or offended. I did not mean to go down this road... I was just revolted by what I felt were gratuitous attacks on my country.<BR>Cheers!<BR><BR>Tarek

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:01 PM
mmcclure

I was just revolted by what I felt were gratuitous attacks on my country.<BR>==========<BR><BR>*You* were revolted by gratuitous 'attacks' on your country?<BR><BR>I merely pointed out that islamic fundamentalists are a significant constituency in egypt - so significant that the egyptian government is pussyfooting and tiptoeing around criticizing terrorists for fear of inciting the significant part of the egyptian population sympathetic to the means and ends of the terrorists.<BR><BR>I merely pointed out the mass murder of western tourists in egypt a couple of years back in response to western travelers inquiring about their safety.<BR><BR>You have the nerve to call my post a 'gratuitous attack, while ignoring the the infinitely more outrageous attack resulting in the murder of thousands of innocents on Sept. 11th.<BR><BR>Why not spend some time criticizing *that* gratuitous attack?

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:28 AM
tarek

Michael, let's get things straight.<BR>How dare you state that "the egyptian government is pussyfooting and tiptoeing around criticizing terrorists" when the President and the foreign minister have missed no occasion to condemn the attacks of 9/11 and to reiterate their support to the US war effort. Moreover, the Egyptian government is closely collaborating with the US on the intelligence level, in addition to Egypt's granting the US unlimited overflight rights. Yes your attacks are gratuitous because you are ignoring truths and you are spreading a pack of lies.<BR>And yes, Egypt has suffered from terrorism a few years ago, which claimed tourists among its victims. That is precisely why Egypt is categorically opposed to those Islamic fundamentalists who commit acts of terror and that is why Egypt sympathizes with the victims of 9/11 and that is precisely why Egypt is helping the US and that is precisely why the destruction of Al Quaeda and of those who have been harboring it is seen as a good thing.<BR>Please stop spreading false accusations. If you genuinely would like to discuss these matters, please feel free to e-mail me directly as this is a travel forum and not a political one. What is it anyway that is prompting you to badmouthing my country and to lie about it?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:38 AM
tarek

A few days ago, on 11/7, US Ambassador C. David Welch addressed the American Chamber of Commerce in Egypt. In his speech, he said: <BR><BR>"Like President Bush, I am gratified that we can count Egypt as one of our strongest supporters."<BR><BR>Read the whole speech on the US Embassy in Cairo's website:<BR>http://usembassy.egnet.net/usis/pr110702.htm

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:00 AM
tarek

More from US Ambassador Welch's speech, explaining why "like President Bush, [he is] gratified that [the US] can count Egypt as one of [its] strongest supporters" (for the whole speech, go to http://usembassy.egnet.net/usis/pr110702.htm):<BR><BR>"As Secretary Powell and others have noted, different countries will have different things to offer in the fight against global terror, based on their political and historical circumstances. Some will provide diplomatic support; some will help politically; others will assist militarily and in other ways. And we appreciate the many ways in which Egypt is helping.<BR><BR>President Mubarak's words of support following the start of the military campaign were warmly welcomed. So too have been Egypt's approval of overflight clearances for US military aircraft, its grant of transit rights through the Suez Canal for our warships, and its determination to carry out the biennial Bright Star exercise as planned. Indeed, Bright Star is an enduring symbol of the US-Egyptian partnership for peace and stability, a symbol that holds special significance today.<BR><BR>Egypt has pledged its cooperation with global anti-terrorism efforts in other ways, too. It is providing excellent cooperation with elements of the United States Government as we seek to destroy terrorist networks and investigate the crimes of September 11. The government is actively seeking out terrorist financial assets wherever they may be found. It is working to strengthen Egypt's money laundering laws to make it harder for terrorists to move money. Egypt Air and the Egyptian Civil Aviation Supervisory Authority are fully implementing new civil aviation security requirements to make air travel safer.<BR><BR>Egypt, in other words, as a close friend and ally, is doing what close friends and allies do when their help is needed. And it is doing it effectively. Whatever you may have heard or read in the media, this is the official view of the United States Government.<BR><BR>The point I want to emphasize here is that what Egypt and the United States have done together since the start of this campaign is possible because the US and Egypt have worked for many years to build a deep, stable, mature, and multifaceted relationship. And although we are now focused on the threat of international terrorism, Egypt and the United States continue to pursue a broad-based political and economic agenda."<BR><BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:04 AM
tarek

Mr McClure, notice that US Ambassador to Cairo clearly and explicitely stated that:<BR><BR>"Egypt, in other words, as a close friend and ally, is doing what close friends and allies do when their help is needed. And it is doing it effectively. Whatever you may have heard or read in the media, this is the official view of the United States Government."<BR><BR>For the whole speech, go to http://usembassy.egnet.net/usis/pr110702.htm<BR>