Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

11 hours in Egypt...with kids and grandparents...Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Marnie

we have only 11 hours in Egypt. My husband and I have been before (20 years ago) but we're back with children and parents. We are arriving in Alexandria at 7am and want to get to Cairo, pyramids, perhaps lunch at Mena House, and maybe museum to return to Alexandria by 6 pm. Is this just crazy? Can it be done? If so, what's the best way? Thank you

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:35 PM
Alice

<BR> <BR> <BR>You can do it. The "express" trains will take 2 and 1/2 hours from Alexandria to Cairo which takes up 5 hours of your time spent in traveling. These specific trains do not run on a regular schedule ie maybe one a 8 am then 11 am etc. I am not really sure of the times but I think the web site for Tour Egypt has a train schedule (www.touregypt.net). You need to get the earliest one you can to Cairo. Before you leave the station in Cairo, buy your return tickets to Alexandria. As you walk out of the station in Cairo you will find many taxis that will take you to the Mena House for lunch and on to Pyramids, then if time allows, downtown to the Egyptian Museum. My recommendation is to negotiate with a driver (or in your case you, may need more than one taxi) to take you to ALL the sites and wait for you at each. This shoud cost mo more than about 50 to 60 pounds per taxi. Your driver should have an idea of travel times in order to get you back to the station on time. I did the opposite of what you are doing - going from Cairo to Alex and having a taxi driver take me to the places I wanted to see in Alex for one set price. He just waited on me at the various sites all for 40 pounds. I found this so unique. The taxis don't have meters. You agree on the price before you get in and that's what you pay. <BR> <BR>So, right now, you need to get a train timetable to get the earliest train out of Alex and then a return time from Cairo and then you'll have an idea of the number of hours you can "play". <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. Alice <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 10:06 PM
Marnie

Alice, <BR>I should have known it would be you who would come up with the answers! In just the short time I've been visiting this site, I can already tell you are it's shining star. Thank you-we will try the train route. When my husband and I were in Egypt 20 years ago, we took the train to Luxor, and will never forget the sun rising over the little villages as we whizzed along the Nile...we were so amazed by the edge of the green watered by the Nile, and the pale brown of the desert...as if someone had cut it with a knife! Thanks for your good advice. <BR>Marnie

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 12:33 PM
Alice

<BR>Oh, Marnie, I couldn't agree more on the train trip between Alex and Cairo. This is your real chance to see the Nile Delta in all its splendor. First class fare is less that US$10 and even if you were short on time, it would be worth the trip just to take the train between these two cities and enjoy the view from the train. You will see such remarkable sights. <BR> <BR>Now as the the "shining star" comment, I sometimes feel a bit of a fraud in that my notes are based on only ONE trip to Egypt. But, I guess, when you are travelling to a new country, you do tend to be aware of and to absorb so much of what WAS new to you and that is what is so important to other travelers doing the same. <BR> <BR>Marnie, have a great adventure and thanks for the wonderful compliment! <BR> <BR>Best Regards, Alice

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 07:50 PM
ED

Your schedule seems to be same as mine. We will be arriving via Holland America in Alexandria 7am also but am opting to take a bus tour as my wife and I are traveling with 2 young boys. If we were alone would take the adventure of the train etc but don't want to risk missing the boat. We were quoted $90/adult and 45/child under age of 11 from Champion Tours vs $180/person on the boat exursion. Time is the gating factor for this stop.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 06:23 PM
wagih

hi Marine. <BR>i am an Egyptian tour guide and i am agree with the train trip 100% we doing here the same trip every time and it is great it is good time your time it is ok by using the7 c. train and retarn by 15,00 c. train but you have to prepar a van for the all of the famaly and it will help you in saving the time. <BR>best wishes to you and your famaly in Cairo. wagih

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 12:25 AM
John

Marnie- <BR> <BR>How did it go? Did you take the train or hire a car in Alexandria? Any guide or company that you would suggest? <BR>Thanks, <BR>John