Search

Rug buying in Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Priscilla

Rug buying in Turkey

Any words of advise for buying rugs (in Istanbul)- specifically with regard to shipping them back to the U.S.? (I'm told there can be very heavy U.S. duties despite the low cost of rugs.) Any experience or referrals?

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Al

When shipping a rug home from Turkey, we wrote our name on the back of the rug with a Magic Marker indelible pen. Our daughter, on a separate trip, did the same. In both cases, the rugs arrived completely intact and in perfect condition. In both cases, the cost of the U.S. duty was included as part of the price negotiations. Offer 60 per cent of the asking price; do not pay more than 75 per cent -- this is a practical "rule of thumb" in working toward an agreed-upon price. A place to be particularly careful in Istanbul, based on what we have heard from those who have had bad experiences there: Bazaar 54, near the Grand Bazaar. This is a chain with shops elsewhere in Turkey. Women should not walk around unaccompanied on the lower level of the Istanbul store, according to those who have spoken with us.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Louise

When we were in Turkey about three years ago my sister-in-law purchased a rug from a dealer in Ephesus. Upon it arriving at their home they were not happy with the colors and were able to return it and receive complete refund. The company evidently has a distribution center in the U.S.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Ozgur atakan

IF u are serious,I can give some addresses. <BR>How many rugs do you want to buy? <BR>Please send me details. <BR>Sincerely, <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:07 AM
gail

My mother bought a rug in Turkey about 5 years ago. It arrived defective. She actually called Turkey to try to return it - was told it was not possible to un-import rugs. Put it in dispute on her credit card, got credit and got to keep the rug. Buyer beware.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:43 AM
Marty

I was sorry to hear about some of the problems getting rugs back from Turkey. My recommendation is for someone only traveling to Turkey on their first trip to only purchase a small (3x5) rug or such and carry it in your luggage and claim it at customs, not to purchase a large rug and have it shipped. And I would not recommend purchasing a large rug in Istanbul, if you absolutely had to have a rug I'd say wait until you're farther into the country - prices in Ankara are much better. I now have a rug dealer that I exclusively use in Ankara, and I've purchased some pretty large rugs and have had no problems. I've been there a number of times but my husband travels through Turkey extensively and he's even brought a rug home without paying for it - if she likes it keep it and pay me - if not send it back - kind of thing. Most rug dealers are fair - but people are people you have to watch what you're doing, and who you're dealing with.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:47 AM
Marty

Also. . .NEVER. . .EVER, write on the rug! It may be indelible ink, but if in the future you decide to sell the rug the value will be a lot less. Never do anything permanent to the rug! If you must, you can have leather strips sewn along the edges on the back to help the rug lie flat, and always have the rug professionally cleaned by a rug dealer - not Jiffy Rug Cleaner down the street. If you've purchased a vegietable die rug, wool on wool (probably the best - next to a silk) - if you wet the rug down and it's not cleaned and dried properly it will start to rot, or the colors may bleed. Always dry up spills as soon as possible. A wool rug will last forever, it's hard to get dirty and it's hard to wear out. . .but you have to know how to take care of them...