Search

Sitatunga?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sitatunga?

Has anyone ever seen a sitatunga? I think that was the one animal that we did not see on our trip last year. When our guide at Mombo (our last camp) asked which animal we wanted to see, we said the sitatunga, and he just started laughing and said we had no chance.

So, has anyone seen one and was it exciting?

Judy
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Judy,

I have not yet seen a Sitatunga, but an excellent place to see them is Kasanka in Northern Zambia (a transfer from South Luangwa would be the best route).

Have a look:

www.kasanka.com/habitats_and_wildlife.htm

This park is also home to the annual 5 million strong fruit bat migration.

Just 30 miles away from Kasanka is the Bangweulu Floodplains:

www.kasanka.com/shoebill_island_camp.htm

Here, besides the Shoebill Storks, there are also very many other rare species such as Black Lechwe, Tsessebe, Reedbuck, Oribi and, again, Sitatunga.

Here is a really good chart showing the best time to visit Bangweulu and Kasanka:

www.kasanka.com/planningsafari.htm
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM
santharamhari

Yes.......i did see the Sitatunga in Lebala in the Kwando concession in December. Our guide, Spencer said he sees one a year. Not only did we see the sitatunga in a distance.....but it was outside the water on a mound. Even though we watched it for less than a minute, i do realize that i may never ever see one again......even during the dry season.......

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:42 PM

I've seen them fairly often, though the sightings themselves are not often great owing to their shy nature.

Xigera is probably the place I've seen them most - and gotten the best images - usually from the water.

James
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM
aby

Hi linjudy
i have seen the Sitatunga a few times at Saiwa Swamp NP (i think the smallest) in Kenya.
There used to b a platform high on the trees from which u could have superb lengthy observations of this wonderful antelope.
It was a long time ago & i have no idea if this platform is still there.
has anyone been there lately?
Anyhow the park is North of Kitale. i made it also by matatu & walked the 5 km from the road with my backpack & food supplies.... no hussle if u come driving
aby
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:47 AM
aby

Saiwa Swamp (continued)
update: found on the net that they've built 4 observation towers !
Advantage of its small size - u can observe Sitatunga for hours...
except for the old campsite, Sirikawa tented camp is available as accommodation.
only 22k north of Kitale; at Kipsain turn right & proceeed on the dirt-road to the gate
aby
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:16 PM

In a hide at Lewa Downs in Kenya. Since it was my first and only, the answer is yes. The excitement lasted for about 10 seconds only.

I read that Akagera (sp?) in Rwanda is the best place to see sitagtunga. I'd like to know if anyone can substantiate that.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:16 PM
aby

atravelynn
Tha Sitatunga at Lewa r translocated...
(it is arguable but some friends of mine say it is as if one visits a US farm with introduced free ranging wildlife)
aby
PS anyone not familiar with Sitatunga:
it is a rarely seen, spiral-horned swamp antelope with amazingly long hooves (anti thesis of Klipspringer) adapted for swamp soils