Search

Mbuzi Mawe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:56 PM
santharamhari

Mbuzi Mawe

Hi! I'm planning a Serengeti trip (not for me) but for my Sister and family. Has anyone have a feedback about Mbuzi Mawe? How are the tents? Food? Game viewing in the area? Is it as advertized? .....i.e., the Serena website says it is centrally located and is easily accessible to all parts of the Serengeti.

The trip is for June/July.....and i think the trip would include, Serena, Western corridor.

Thanks
Hari

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM
santharamhari

I meant.......trip to include, Serengeti Serena, Kirawira/Mbalageti besides Mbuzi

Thks

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tents were perfectly nice and comfortable although not super luxurious. If it is windy they can be very noisy. They are a little closer together than I would like but not too bad. They have tile floors and zipper entrances. Good shower pressure in the bathroom. Nice deck in the front with a double chaise lounge. We liked the food -- not outstanding, but good. It is not located near any water so game viewing in the immediate vicinity is not particularly remarkable, but you are about 45 minutes from Seronera which has incredible game viewing. There are resident klipspringers on the kopjes around the camp which are fun to watch. You can do short guided nature hikes with a naturalist. Service was still a little rough around the edges. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again but it was fine for 2 nights.

I'm sure that Kirawira and Mbalageti will be far more luxurious than Mbuzi Mawe.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Forgot to mention -- we liked Serengeti Serena too, although there is no getting around the fact that it is huge.

You can see photos & our trip report at homepage.mac.com/lisaandmarktravel.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:03 AM
santharamhari

Thanks, Lisa....appreciate it

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:17 PM
aby

PS Mbuzi=goat Mawe= rock/stone Goat-of-the-rocks is the name of the Klipspringer... Lisa's note explains why
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:39 PM

How do you say in Swahili, "I wish there was a better option in the Seronera area?"

Couldn't they just pick up and move one of those incredible Grumeti camps...they have no business charging people those kinds of rates between December - March when the Migration is nowhere around anyway!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM

Rocco,
Something like: “Laiti eneo la Seronera lingekuwa na uchaguzi (wa lodge/kambi) mzuri zaidi”. Swahili isn’t my first language though.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:47 AM

On the other hand, we were usually only in our room/tent to sleep and maybe for an hour or two max while awake. We were up at 5 am & left by 6 am, would do an all day game drive and get back around 6:30 pm, then clean up and go eat dinner from around 7-9pm, then go back to the room and crash early because you're up the next morning at 5am again! So the room barely matters. I like luxury as much as the next gal, but would seriously consider staying at Seronera Wildlife Lodge next time no matter how spartan. It would save the 45-minute drives to and from the best game viewing areas every morning & evening.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:26 AM

Nyamera,

Thanks...you are hired as my official Swahili interpreter!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:41 AM