Search

Day in Nairobi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day in Nairobi

Planning a leisure day in Nairobi before we see the "must see spots" with group prior to Safari.
Thinking lunch at the Tamarind and shopping at Collector's Den.
Those with first hand knowledge of restaurant and/or store please comment.
Suggestions for Tanzanite purchase, too.
Thank you.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:17 PM

The Tamarind serves sea food and is a small cosy restaurant in the city center. The Carnivore, which is also part of the Tamarind group serves 'All you can eat game meat.' The collector's den is located nearby and has different kinds of curios, precious stones etc. From experience, I think they sell the best Tanzanite (blue).
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:18 PM

The Collector's Den is near the Tamarind.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM

Unless it's moved, the Collector's Den is located at the lower level (entry off the street) at the Hilton Hotel in Central Business District.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM

It was still there in May, Sandi.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you...
As the situation in Nairobi is quite unstable at this time, we plan to go out only during the day with a driver.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 02:51 PM

LyndaS - So you've been sneaking in visits unbeknownst to your friends Good for you, but do update us before Tax Season arrives.

Appreciate status re Collector's Den. I wasn't sure as no shopping for me after these many years.
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM

sandi, I promise I will write up a detailed trip report (as usual really detailed and post it before tax season arrives. It was a fabulous trip. As we were with three friends it was a fairly standard 'tourist' itinerary, but we tried some new lodgings, even if we didn't try new parks. I just LOVE it all so much, I have to keep going back to the same places.

We actually didn't get to the Collectors Den this year, we were on our way to the Railway Museum (one of our friends is a train buff) and then to the Collectors Den when we got stuck in some HEAVY DUTY traffic in the downtown area. We actually sat for two hours in that traffic & missed both the Railway Museum & the Collectors Den. Oh well, my house looks like a Collectors Den anyhow.

randipellmar, I just replied to your other thread, yes, I would highly recommend Kennedy for Nairobi - you won't go wrong! Which itinerary are you on with Micato?
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM

It's not worth going to Tanzania just to buy Tanzanite.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 12:40 PM

Unless you plan to be in Tanzania and have a recommendation of a quality gemologist who specializes, and if looking for loose stones, I wouldn't head over the border.

There are plenty places where to purchases gems of all kinds regardless country, but you never ever walk in 'cold' and expect a good deal. It's also important to research any gem and know what to look for regarding quality, color, and price.

As you'll be in Kenya, inquire about Tsavorite, discovered in Tsavo (the largest park in Kenya) about the same time as was Tanzanite. Not as well known as that purple/blue gem, is referred to as a green garnet, that is often more expensive. Known as an excellent alternative for emeralds as it's harder and doesn't require surrounding diamonds to protect the softness of emeralds. Even for this, you need a reputable gemologist.

Unless looking for a small stones, less than 1/2 carat (total weight, t.w.), already in setting - ear studs - which you can find in your home country. Otherwise, not recommended to purchase gems because they look pretty vs quality for your investment.