Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

how many people actually read this site?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 01:57 AM
tom

I have posted on this site several times( with relevant travel qs) and have never received an answer. By the way I have replied to some queries. Can anyone give me the name of another forum for African travel which is more popular?

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Anon

Thorn Tree. It has reputation of being a board for young backpackers, but that isn't necessarily true. <BR> <BR>What country are you asking about and what do you want to know?

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 05:10 AM
tom

thanks! I have only recently been able to start travelling and posted queries on turkey. However we are now going to the far east for our next holiday. All the other fodors forums seem to be a lot more frequented than this one. <BR>We would love to go on a safari sometime and also visit Dubai. We are also interested into researching a bit more on South Africa.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Dave

The AOL travel site is good.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Myriam

Tom, Take a look at www.virtualtourist.com - they have a very active forum as well.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Ursula

tom hello! <BR>I am Swiss and have discovered this forum a couple of months ago, only. It seems that Americans rather go come to Europe than go to Africa/Middle East or to the Far East. That is why there is much less traffic here. About Turkey, you can also post at the European forum, there are some threads about it. <BR>Regarding Dubai: It is a very popular destination for Europeans during winter months. It's not that far and hotels, beaches and shopping seem to appeal a lot. Also, it is very safe. I am about to consider it as well.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 02:16 PM
tom

so people really do visit this site!!!!Thanks for all the advice- I am about to try some of the sites now. <BR>Ursula <BR>If you get to Dubai first why not give a short report on this site?

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Anon

Just a hint re: Dubai - during the hot and humid summer (mainly August) tarrifs at the major hotels drop dramatically. It's worth shopping around as cheaper accomodation is available - ask for the summer rates at hotels. Honesty compels me to say however that the heat and humidity can be pretty severe. <BR> <BR>Also, if you are coming all the way to Dubai why not take a couple of days to see Muscat/Oman. It's totally different to Dubai but worth seeing as you'd be in the vicinity. My understanding is that if you have a visa to enter UAE you don't need to purchase a second visa to enter Oman.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 12:37 AM
Ursula

tom: Re: Dubai, it's on my list, but I do not know when it will be "done". <BR> <BR>Beginning October, trip is booked to go back to Djerba Island, South Tunisia to get some sun and for sailing. A good place at that time. Nice temperatures, good values, not too many tourists. It's a popular destination just like Morocco or Canary Islands for Europeans. Again, it's not far. Some 3-4 h flight and just 1 h of time difference. I shall gladly post a trip report, but interest in these north African coutries seems to be rather limited. ;-)

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:34 AM
kavey

Hi Tom <BR> <BR>I do occasionally. <BR> <BR>People do post here but the traffic certainly isnt as much as on the Europe forum where I tend to "live"! <BR> <BR>And I often get the impression that people post questions here and then never come back for the answers, I say this because sometimes when answering I might add a clarifying question to the poster about what they are looking for in order to provide more info and it doesnt get a reply. <BR> <BR>I don't post here often through as I haven't much experience in Africa or Middle East so can't help very much. <BR> <BR>If you are planning a trip to Europe you will find the forum for Europe hugely more active, to the point that your post may sink low in the list much faster than you expect and you have to search down for it! <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 03:08 AM
Gina

Ursula please post your report here! <BR>I do visit African board often as my husband and I are planning to go to Tunisia sometime and Morocco too. Dubai sounds more and more interesting each time I hear or read about it. Also Muscat, Oman but there is not enough information about those places. And there is always safety issue involved for the US citizens when traveling to the Middle East. I am waiting to be convienced. I sometimes answer some questions on African board in regard to safari in Kenya. <BR>Please Ursula post your report!!! <BR> <BR>Also when is the best time to plan trip to Tunisia and Morocco? <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 05:47 AM
tom

Re Tunisia <BR> I have been there as well. We went in March when it was beginning to heat up. I found it a fascinating place although we didn't venture out to the desert. I would if I go again. I would say that May would probably be a good month- after that it would be too hot (for me anyway). <BR>Re Dubai <BR>I have thought of this as a stop over before going on to the far east and wouldn't therefore be too bothered about the temps if its only for a couple of days. For those with experience of Dubai- is it rather expensive to eat there? Would you venture outside your hotel at night? <BR>Kavey <BR>I know what you mean. Have posted replies a few times myself on the Europe site and not sure whether its been read,as you say the posts move very quickly! By the way I do not use my true e mail address as I have had unwanted (and nasty) emails sent directly to me.I have also had some really helpful ones, its just such a pity when you to have to resort to such measures for the sake of a few! <BR>Thanks again everyone!!!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Ursula

Gina: <BR>I do not know whether you have been to Arab countries. It's a different world we will never ever get to understand. Try to find books of Fatima Mernissi. She describes in a very fascinating way her childhood. Also, Naghib Machfus (sp?), the famous Egyptian writer, who received the Nobel Prize for literature some years ago, wrote fascinating books about everday life in Cairo. <BR> <BR>Morocco is among my very favourite countries to visit. Very genuine if you avoid the big cities. Casablanca is a modern town. Marrakesch is a must-see but very very touristy. Everybody seems to live on tourism in Morocco. I prefer Fes (beautiful medina), Rabat and Meknes. A must is the Atlas, Ouarzazate, Zagora and the close Dra Valley and Dades Valley. <BR>For beach life it's Agadir during winter months. In summer, it's very often cloudy. <BR>You can feel somehow that Morocco is a Kingdom. There are a lot of really nice places to visit. The food is outstanding, when it's genuine (not prepared just for tourists). <BR> <BR>Tunisia is poorer in every respect. You will see that once you leave your hotel. But they have some very modern, maybe even too modern places, like Hammamet, Monastir, Port-El-Kantaoui (golf courses and spas!). Tunis is interesting, but very polluted. Historically interesting places would be Kairouan and Karthago. A quaint place is Sidi Bou Said close to Tunis. <BR> <BR>If you do not want to be bothered too much, you need an official guide. He will send all other "guides" away. Usually, they have outstanding background knowledge and are fluent in languages. Also, appropriate clothing is very important. Once, in the medina of Fes, we saw an Italien "tarzan" guy just with shorts (short!) and a tank top. The locals literally stared at him. <BR>People in these countries are extremely friendly. However, they can be very upset against French. It has to do with political issues. <BR> <BR>Dubai: From what I see and hear, it must be very modern. Everything seems to be luxurious. Tons of 5-star palaces. I tink they even have a place for ice-skating. They pay almost no taxes. What, when all the petrol will be gone?? <BR>I am much more interested in places like Oman and Jemen. But these trips have to be planned and prepared for quite a while. Whereas one week in Dubai for beach life does not require a lot of reading, etc. <BR> <BR>My dream ever is a Nile cruise. I shall do that when I am older and richer. LOL <BR> <BR>tom: <BR>Try Morocco next time. I find it much more interesting than Tunisia, although I will go back to Tunisia. There are some interesting sites to visit on the main land. Djerba will be for fun and "Dolce far niente". <BR> <BR>And me too, I cannot post with my real e-mail address anymore, sorry. I get too many unwanted mails (mostly stupid questions, like what will be the weather like in Lucerne in September?, sorry) on the European section. <BR> <BR>Months I would definitely avoid due to hot, hot weather for all these countries would be June-September. <BR> <BR>Oh, boy, I think this is the longest answer I ever posted here. I find it kind of difficult to write into that little field, especially when I need to make corrections. Let's hope it does not sound too bad. <BR> <BR>Have a great week, wherever you are. Yes, maybe you are interested in the weather in Zurich. After a ten-days heat wave, it has been bad for some days. Today, drizzle and nothing else. Where have all the beautiful summers gone??

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Myriam

Ursula, <BR>Don't wait to do the Nile cruise. Should not really be that expensive. We paid less for our Nile cruise (incl. all entrance fees at the archeological sites) than for our beach/diving holiday in El Gouna (also in Egypt). <BR>Although Egypt is also one of these North African countries, it is totally different from f.i. Tunisia. Tunisia is a very modern country compared to Egypt. This becomes very clear when you walk around in the small villages along the Nile, or in the soukhs at Luxor/Aswan. <BR>We had a short layover in Abu Dhabu during our flight to Sri Lanka and I would have loved to stay their for a few days. The mysticism of these people was really fascinating ; I have a bit of that same feeling when I'm in Egypt. DO THAT NILE CRUISE!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 09:58 PM
local

Tom <BR> <BR>I make it my job of responding to questions on this site about South Africa or Southern African countries that I have been to - I stay in SA. I do sometimes get questions that I do not have the answer to as I have not been there (there is a question on this site asking about specific accommodation in Cape Town that I can not respond to as I have not stayed there before or do not know about them.) <BR> <BR>However, www.southafrica.net is a good site to start research about SA. If you can give me more detail of what you are interested in about SA I may be able to help you more.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:10 AM
Gina

Ursula <BR>Thank you for some great ideas about Egypt and Morocco. Did you go to those places on your own or with any organized tour? What would be the best time to go to Morocco: November, January, or February? <BR>We were thinking about visiting Tunisia because it si so close to Sicily. <BR> <BR>Myriam: I would love to have more details of your Nile cruise. Please

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:09 AM
Myriam

Gina: <BR>We took a Nilecruise in March 1997. For us this was the perfect month to go: sunny and warm (sometimes hot) during the day and cool at night, very dry so no mosquitos! <BR>We had chosen a rather small ship (35 cabins) and we had two Egyptologists to guide abt. 60 people. <BR>We started our cruise at Luxor after having visited the archeological sites at the left bank: temple of Queen Hatchepsut, Memnon colossus, Valley of the Kings & Queens. <BR>All the archeological sites are along the Nile so you never have to travel for hours to reach the sites (except for Abu Simbel). So in the next days we traveled further until Aswan and visited everything there is to visit, including some small real Egyptian villages. In Aswan we also made a walk in the soukhs (a MUST) and had something to drink at the Old Cataract hotel (where Agatha Christie wrote "Dead on the Nile" - also a MUST visit). From there we sailed back to Luxor where our cruise ended. It was a hectic program sometimes but well worth it. If you want to see some of my pictures, take a look at www.virtualtourist.com (pages of myriam_c) <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Patricia

No need to wait to do the Nile cruise! I am POOR by comparison to any other travelers and recently took that cruise. Not sure of the cruise cost, as we were on a tour, but the whole thing was cheap. Went in November and the weather was ideal! A little hot sometimes, no mosquitoes (at least when we were there), but mostly pleasant. Almost everything was included and we paid about $2,700 for 2 weeks in Egypt, including a whole week on the Nile cruise. Grand Circle tours.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Tonna

Patricia did you pay $2,700 for one paerson or two? Were flights included? How big was your group? What trips were included when you were on the Nile trip?

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:27 AM

to the top!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -