Search

lexandria or Elsewhere ??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Lou

lexandria or Elsewhere ??

We originally thought that we would allow 48 in Alexandria. Now we wonder if we should plan to go elsewhere, as we see that not many people choose this city. What do you think ? Have any of you been to Alexandria ? <BR>We will be spending the rest of our trip in Cairo { two nights } , Giza { one night} Nile cruise[ 4 nights } and an extra two nights in Aswan. I would appreciate all thoughts on this itinerary as we have to finalize it soon. If not, Alexandria, where would you suggest we go for the 48 hours? Thanks for all your help.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 07:22 AM
alia

hi <BR>i am from egypt and i live in cairo. i would not advise u to go to alexandria. first it is very crowded in the summer. there is very little to do there, the beaches are not very nice. i would recommend that u go instead to the red sea. sharm el sheik or gouna. sharm is famous for the bedouin nights and its rich blue water. if u like diving that's the place for u ro u can relax on the beautiful beaches. u can also take boats and go seee the reefs, it is amazing.it also has a very rich night life (planet hollywood, hard rock cafe, pubs...) but it is very hot in the summer.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Bob K.

Alia: <BR>How far along are they with the recovery under water of the ancient artifacts, lighthouse, etc? That is what would bring us to Alexandria, as a side trip for 1 day from Cairo. We would be going in December.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 09:11 PM
Crelly

I was in Cairo this past Dec/Jan and took the train from Cairo to Alexandria and, boy, was I disappointed. I guess I was expecting something from the era of Cleopatra and all I got was more of what it's like in Cairo. I REALLY did enjoy the Catacombs, though, and for that the trip was worth it. (US$9 1st class, one way from Cairo, 2 and 1/2 hours) The trains don't run very frequently so be sure to check the schedule carefully for return times when planning your trip. <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 08:33 PM
Susan

I beg to differ--my mom & I did tour of Egypt last year and at end did Alexandria on our own--it was my 1st view of real Egyptians; they go to Alexandria on vacation and I liked beach (got to see Arab woman swimming in clothes). I liked it for relaxation....