Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Tanzanian Safari: any tips/suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a safari in Tanzania late this summer. Does anyone out there have any tips on what to bring (or maybe more importantly, what not to bring)? What kind of clothing is appropriate? Our itinerary will include Tarangire National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, and the Serengeti.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:03 AM
aby

search the forum for "safari clothing" or "what to pack" ...

e.g. http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...amp;searchText
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Our summer is their winter. I've found the days to be warm and the nights cool to cold (Crater rim is high elevation.) Layers work well: a jacket or windbreaker and a fleece vest or sweatshirt should be fine for your outerwear. Even though you'll be in enclosed vehicle with open tops, I'd wear subdued colors: tan, khaki, green, etc. Leave the bright reds, etc. at home. You won't need a lot of clothes, as all the camps and lodges do laundry, except for "smalls" (underwear.)

There is a great book Mark Nolting has published called "African Safari Journal" which has a packing list in it. There's also a ton of information in it to help you in preparing for the safari, journaling it while on the trip, wildlife illustrations & checklists, etc. I've used one on each of my safaris and now have a great record of each one.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM

We were in Kenya and Tanzania last summer and our outfitter was excellent. However, there were a couple of things not listed on their packing list:

toilet paper to carry with you - when you gotta go you gotta go!

voltage converter - many if not all electrical outlets in Tanzania are 220 volts versus the 110 volts in the USA. So, unless your appliance, battery charger, etc, has the capacity to handle 220 volts (if it does, it should say 110V-240V on it), you will need a converter.

And you'll need plug adapters, too. Can't remember exactly which adapter is appropriate for Tanzania, a certain 3-prong kind I believe, as the electrical outlets in Tanzania are definitely different than the standard outlet in the USA. Your outfitter should be able to tell you which one you need.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Good advice so far.

For that toilet paper, bring a few small ziplocks for post-use until you can properly dispose of it. A couple of "handiwipes" and a bottle of soapless hand wash is good.

Several pens because if you lose yours it is not easily replaced. If you buy a map and want to trace you route a highlighter is nice.

Speaking of losing things. Since something like a toothbrush or toothpaste is not easily replaced, I bring a spare. With moving around, it is possible to lose yours. Keep your tooth paste in a sealed ziplock so as not to attract little creatures. I had a mouse or something nibbling on my toothpaste once so I was glad to have a spare.

I bring a small spare comb and several extra sunglasses (inexpensive drugstore kind). Again for loss or if they break, you don't want to be without sunglasses and they can make a nice parting gift for a guide to go along with the tip.

I bring a couple of small sized high numbered sun tan lotions. Small sized so I can easily keep them in my pocket and apply as needed. Several sunscreen lap balms too, one for each pants pocket.

The pants I wear are all zip-offs so that shorts and pants are not necessary.

Bring some envelopes to put your tips in.

I bring an extra cap (baseball) or two in addition to my safari hat because head cover is so important and you can give the hats as a gift also.

It sounds I lose things left and right, which is not true. But I did have a safari hat fling off my head in the wind once (not in Africa) and retrieving it was not possible and I have had sunglasses lost or broken.

Bring hat and gloves for the crater and maybe Tarangire. It's cold there.

I reinforce key buttons on clothing with needle and thread before leaving home and take one of those hotel sewing kits.

Never took one before, but after some sore throat and coughing trouble on my last trip, I'll include a bandana to cover my mouth from dust kicked up by the vehicle.

Don't bring candy for kids or much jewelry. I do wear my cheap watch and wedding band.

Here is a packing link list:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34639696

Have a good trip.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to Shay Tay for the hint on the packing list in Mark Nolting's book - I had forgot that that was there - read the book cover to cover last year, and used a lot of the info in it, and probably meant to come back to the packing list! I'm just working on my list now - so thankyou! I have made my own 'journal' notebook that contains TONS of info and space to write, so I won't be using Nolting's book as such to write in, but it was a GREAT source of info for research!
Also, thanks Lynn for the great hints - I really thought I had thought of EVERYTHING, but there were three things on your list that I hadn't thought of! (extra pens, envelopes for tips - I added little notecards to this in case I wanted to write something too - and ziplock bags for 'post' toilet paper usage) I also printed out the link you provided, and I bet I will find more - thanks again!
Lynda
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Such great tips. Thanks ever so much. These are exactly the tips I was looking for - things that the "official" guides don't tell you. Knowing about extra TP, keeping our toothpaste in plastic bags, etc... will surely help make our trip easier. Again -- a big thank you to those of you taking the time to make suggestions.