An Amazing Journey - the Moroccan Sahara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two daughters and I took a trip to Morocco this year, and we had an amazing holiday! We were a little wary at first as we had heard varying reports about it, but I would so recommend a trip to visit!

We stayed in Marrakech for 4 nights in a riad called 'Riad Soundouss' in the medina. It was amazing - the rooms were really beautiful and air-conditioned and the staff were so kind and helpful. They organised taxies, a city tour and dinner for us in the riad on one of the nights. The city was busy and loud, but also colourful and wonderful and we did not experience any problems there.

Our driver from Morocco Road Trips picked us up on the fifth day in the early morning and we began our adventure into the desert. We started by driving through the High Atlas mountains, stopping from time to time for photo opportunities and coffee! We had a stop in the Dades Valley with a tour of a traditional village and a visit to a local carpet maker. We visited movie studios to learn about all the films/TV programmes filmed in Morocco (as big Game of Thrones fans we were happy to see references to that, too!) We spent the night in a really nice hotel - the Auberge Panoramique - where we received a bountiful buffet-style dinner on arrival and a Moroccan breakfast the next morning. The next day we stopped to walk through the Todghra Gorge on our way to the desert. The desert trip was quite an experience! We trekked on camels while the sun was setting to arrive in a Nomad camp where our tents were waiting. That night there was dinner and entertainment - we actually chose to sleep out under the stars as it was such a wonderful view! We drove back to Marrakech the next day - a long drive, but the views made it worth-while! We spent the last few days in the Eden Andalou Hotel - also beautiful and very relaxing!

I've travelled quite a bit and been to a few countries, but my experience in Morocco was one of the best! I couldn't recommend enough the riad and hotel we stayed in, and the company 'Morocco Road Trips' were so accommodating and tailored the trip for us in exactly the way that we wanted it. Our driver Ali took great care of us and was so knowledgable about the country, culture and customs. I'm writing this now, I suppose, in light of recent events in Morocco that may put some people off travelling there. I found Morocco to be safe and the people we met were kind and helpful. Like travelling anywhere, you have to be careful and smart (I have had some bad experiences - only very minor, thankfully! - travelling in Europe or Canada/America) - Morocco is no different. I would go back again in a heart-beat!

Marrakech!

Toghdra Gorges

Nomad Camp