Railway museum in South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband I hope to be in South Africa for a few weeks later this year. We've heard that there's an excellent railway museum there, but we can't seem to find anything about it: it's not mentioned in the guide books we've consulted, and web searches have been inconclusive.

Any tips? Thanks.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:00 PM

You probably would be interested in the Outeniqua Railway Museum. Web site is http://www.georgetourism.co.za/whattodo/outeniqua/

Hint: use Google to search. A search for "railroad museum south africa" found this museum on the first 2 results.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:48 PM

There are several in other parts of the country, although I can't comment on their respective quality.

The best search engine for S.A. (and for that matter Africa) is the (default) Africa option of Aardvark: www.aardvark.co.za It uses Google, and if you choose its global option, it actually opens Google in a different window. But I use it for the Africa option, to get a more focussed result. For example, entering railway museum in the basic search (there's also an advanced optio) gives almost the same number of hits as entering railway museum south africa. Almost one and a half thousand, although most of those will as usual be repetitions or will be irrelevant.

The first Aardvark hit is that Outeniqua museum, but there are other possibilities within the first few pages.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Vorkuta,

NoFly Zone is on the ball with the suggestion of visiting the Outeniqua Railway Museum. It is excellent.

Heres a wonderful little secret . There is a trainyard at Huguenot Station in Paarl (60 km from Cape Town) where there are 5 or more old time steam locomotives that are still operative. Nobody seems to know about this trainyard and if you visit the yard the people who repair the trains are always happy to tell you all about these steam engines as well as show you how they work. Great experience.

If you want to visit the yard then travel to the Paarl station and ask them to guide you to the spot because I guarantee you that you will not find it on your own.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Terrific advice, Selwyn, Arthur and NoFly! Many thanks.

What a great thing this Fodor's site is...a real mine of information.