Reload this Page >

Kenya/Tanzania safari+Zanzibar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 04:04 AM
vigdis

My husband and I are going to East Africa in September. We want to make a stop for one or two days in Nairobi, then go to Masai Mara in Kenya for may be three days and then to Tanzania (Serengeti/Ngorongoro) for may be five-six days and in the end spend the rest of the time at Zanzibar. Does anybody have any advice, for instance can recommend a good and reliable travelling agent, preferably one that covers both countries. We want to travel comfortably, but the prices we have been given in Norway, especially for the hotels are insane. May we for instance go there without any advance booking for safaris and hotels?
Thanks, Vigdis

Old Apr 4th, 1998, 06:26 AM
mike

I am also travelling to Kenya and Zimbabwe this summer for both photo and hunting safaris. You asked for a good agent and I'd highly recommend an agency in Houston, TX. Ask for Steve at 1-800-299-8558. He specializes in African travel and I believe he's a native South African. Regardless, he'll give you good advice which is essential if you're planning to go on your own. Good luck.

Old May 24th, 1998, 06:25 AM
SHERILYN EUSTICE

I TRAVELED TO KENYA/TANZANIA SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I DO NOT RECOMMEND PICKING UP A TOUR GROUP THERE. I HAVE TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND OTHER 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES AND I HAVE ALWAYS USED ABERCROMBIE AND KENT....NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED EITHER. I AM LEAVING FOR VACATION TO DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, IN 3 DAYS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I CAN TRY AND FIND YOU THE ADDRESS, OR YOU CAN CALL ANY TRAVEL AGENT AND THEY SHOULD KNOW OF THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE KENYA AND TANZANIA. IF YOU WANT ANY INFO, I WILL TRY AND HELP.

Old May 25th, 1998, 01:25 PM
bob

when you arrive in nairobi--go to Lets Go Travel agency downtown. they book many of the same "safaris" or similar to what you get at home. without the 50-100%25 markups.

Old May 25th, 1998, 06:19 PM
Tracey Lecointe

I am also thinking of travelling to Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar in Aug '99. Any advice on a good tour company to go with? I've heard Kumuka are v good, especially where safety is concerned. Is there much chance of danger on these overland bus trips?. What's it like travelling in a bus for 3/4 weeks?

Old May 29th, 1998, 03:03 AM
Julie Smith

I travel to Kenya frequently. September is a great time to catch the migration in the Mara, and before thee rains set in. Also Abocrombi & Kent are the best for great tours, albeit quite pricey. I have a friend who takes what I personally consider to be one of the best things to do in Kenya. A walking safari in Tsvao West - the largest National park there. Its for 3 nights minimum, well appointed tented camp and you'l want for nothing along teh way. Patrick will pick you up from Nairoboi or you can fly into a small airstrip near by camp. Its quite different form say, going to the Masai Mara experience, not at all difficult and like nothing you'll ever experience. He can be booked directly by fax or phone.

The newly renovated Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi would be a good choice or slightly cheaper is the Mayfair Hotel although its not right in town. Don't forget a coupel of days in the sun on the coast. The Serena Hotel is the choice on the coast - but quite expensive and I can also recommend Whitesands.

Zanzibar or Lamu isalnds are just one hours flight either way from Mombasa - one or the other is worth a visit. Zanazibar is a little more 'tourist friendly' than Lamu which still enjoys its back packers 'haven reputation'. It does however have a great hotel called Peponis for the more credit card minded...and a 7 km beach attached...sheer paradise.

Kenya is expeincing low tourist numbers and there are great deals around - for all sorts of budgets.

Lots more info for anyone interested - you'll need to contact me directly on [email protected]

Old May 29th, 1998, 03:05 AM
Julie Smith

I travel to Kenya frequently. September is a great time to catch the migration in the Mara, and before thee rains set in. Also Abocrombi & Kent are the best for great tours, albeit quite pricey. I have a friend who takes what I personally consider to be one of the best things to do in Kenya. A walking safari in Tsvao West - the largest National park there. Its for 3 nights minimum, well appointed tented camp and you'l want for nothing along teh way. Patrick will pick you up from Nairoboi or you can fly into a small airstrip near by camp. Its quite different form say, going to the Masai Mara experience, not at all difficult and like nothing you'll ever experience. He can be booked directly by fax or phone.

The newly renovated Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi would be a good choice or slightly cheaper is the Mayfair Hotel although its not right in town. Don't forget a coupel of days in the sun on the coast. The Serena Hotel is the choice on the coast - but quite expensive and I can also recommend Whitesands.

Zanzibar or Lamu isalnds are just one hours flight either way from Mombasa - one or the other is worth a visit. Zanazibar is a little more 'tourist friendly' than Lamu which still enjoys its back packers 'haven reputation'. It does however have a great hotel called Peponis for the more credit card minded...and a 7 km beach attached...sheer paradise.

Kenya is expeincing low tourist numbers and there are great deals around - for all sorts of budgets.

Lots more info for anyone interested - you'll need to contact me directly on [email protected]