Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

In South Africa, What do Hotels Mean by "Tea and Coffee-making Facilities"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from the USA and have found that the "coffee makers" in even the most upscale hotel rooms in some countries are nothing more than devices designed to add boiling water to instant coffee (unacceptable). What is the situation in South Africa? Should we come prepared with a small coffee brewer?
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 03:53 PM

It depends. Some have Keurig types, some have hot water. If you take a brewer make sure it can handle the different current and take adapters for both types of SA plugs. We blew up a rechargeable flashlight because we only used adapters without a converter. I'm a bit of a coffee snob too and can handle instant on safari in SA - it's the best coffee I've ever had.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Yes, tea and coffee making facilities could well mean just a kettle and instant coffee. If you bring a plunger type coffee pot you'll probably need to bring the ground coffee too, unless you want to be looking for it on day one of your holiday. If it means so much to you it may be worth emailing for clarification or to see if they have a Keurig or Nespresso.

I'm so glad I don't drink coffee - it appears to be such a fuss !
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 05:15 AM

"plunger type coffee pot" = French Press, FYI.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Quite honestly, French press or plunger type coffee pots make weak (lousy) coffee. I had a great travel coffee maker which I managed to "fry" in Australia because I did not use the proper converter. That model is no longer sold. I do have a one-cup Keurig type, but it is significantly larger than my previous coffee maker and I would prefer to travel without it. I will take wbt's advice and contact the hotels directly. I wish I was a tea drinker, but old habits die hard .
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 09:29 AM

Picky picky regardless where (country) , but I always book my room on a B&B basis so I get a pot of regular coffee with my choice of breakfast; no need to jump out of bed for coffee regardless what the hotel is offering. Rather sit at table for a proper meal and still manage to get out of the hotel with sufficient time for an entire day of activity.