Search

Kaye's Photos from the Sabi Sands 28/12/06 - 18/1/07

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaye's Photos from the Sabi Sands 28/12/06 - 18/1/07

Hi everyone,

Let us hope this works, it has taken a long time for me to do, hope I have not wasted my evening.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-ynt5y9

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

OK that seems to work - I am sorry they are so out of date order, I do not know how I got them so out of sequence. I was at Lion Sands 28-31 Decemeber 2006 and then MalaMala 31 December 2006-18 Janaury 2007.

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:02 AM

WOW! Thanks for sharing the incredible photos.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Amazing phootos!!!!!! Thank you for sharing.
I will make my reservations at MalaMala today. No question now of what we should do.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:49 AM
santharamhari

Hi Kaye!!! Great pictures....thanks for sharing.....

What good game viewing you had...honey badger, pangolin, beautiful pack of dog and fabulous cheetah in good shape.....

Pictures-wise, i really liked your pics of the styx pride on the hunt and on the look out. Enjoyed the Pied kingfisher also....once again, thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,
Hari

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Excellent photos, and some nice rarities, especially the boomslang (I have seen one but never photographed), and the amazing civet, honey badger and pangolin photos. The pangolins seems to be on grass -- were they on the Mala Mala grounds?

Michael
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I felt like I was flipping through a field guide!

You got a civet picture and an array of wonderful leopard shots, including the tortoise kill! Giraffe in water is an accomplishment. I loved the kingfisher with a kill and felt like I was peeking at the the petticoat of the green pigeon. All your bird shots were wonderful. The jackal pup must have been a thrill. Outstanding cheetah action. <b>How common are nyla shots?</b> The bull was excellent. The Styx pride were beautiful subjects. Nice boomslang. You had two wild dog packs and big ones doing interesting things.

You know that bumper sticker that says, &quot;No one should have two houses until everyone has one&quot;? Well, no one should get two pangolin sightings (much less in one trip, much less pictures) till the rest of us at least get a glimpse. Let's hope those two pangolins are the opposite, meet, find each other attractive, and produce many more.

You have not wasted your evening!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Well done! Great composition, depth of focus is wonderful as are the variety of poses. Interesting rarities and just as interesting &quot;common&quot; sightings...thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Eric
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM

What fantastic photos!! I have really enjoyed looking through them. How many leopard sightings did you have in the end?
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Terrific photos Kaye. Could you please tell me what the weather was like.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM

I'm utterly speechless. What fantastic photos and what great sightings you had. Looks like one heck of a trip, Kaye! MalaMala is on my list for sure!

Thanks for sharing these.
Sharon
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Hello Kaye,thanks for sharing.Magnific gallery,i really enjoy with it.The close up picture of the female cup of Matchari is wonderful.
Regards.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM

What fantastic pictures. What kind of camera did you use? I have never heard of Mala Mala before but now want to go. How did you get so close to the animals? What company did you go thru to book the trip?
We went to Kenya and Tanzania last September and I thought we got some good pictures, but hardly any of the Cheetah or the Lion. Fantastic
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM

BEAUTIFUL Kaye!!!
Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM
skimmer

Kaye,

Thanks for sharing this lovely collection of yours. In terms of gameviewing Mala Mala is really hard to beat.

And I am really jealous about your pangolin sightings.

Greetz,

Johan

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks, you are all very kind - I am usually pretty pleased with my efforts, but I know I can do better shots the next time if I do something different.

Michael - yes, both pangolin shots were at MM, now I have had 4 sightings in 9 trips to MM, so I am pretty lucky in my sightings, and that was my 2nd honeybadger viewing at MM as well. So I am not complaining!

Lynn - the jackal pup was certainly one of my highlights as I have never seen one and certainly was lucky with how relaxed they were. There was 3 and the parents were really not relaxed so it was probably the curiousity of the pups that made them easier to approach. Nearly everytime we saw the pups, cheetah were in the area, but they must not see them so much as food, which I was thrilled about! Nyala are certainly not common like Impala, but like Bushbuck you do see them in certain types of areas. I really do love all the male antelope for photograhpy except the impala, then I prefer the females. The Styx Pride are fantastic subjects, as are most of the lion prides of MM, especially when they are doing something - as I am now over taking photos of sleeping lions, though I can always look at them! The dog pack was the same one seen at both Lion Sands and MalaMala, though we saw 12,14 and 15. Saw them 3 gamedrives at Lion Sands and certainly 2 or 3 gamedrives at MalaMala. As I haven't seen dog since May 2003, also at MM, I was beside myself with excitement!

Allycb, all up I saw 16 different leopard, 2 at Lion Sands and 14 at MM - didn't see leopard every gamedrive, but certainly saw leopard most gamedrives. One morning all I took was leopard photos. I love seeing many many many things, so that is quite OK with me if we miss the cats for a couple of drives.

CarlaM - days at Lion Sands were nice and warm, then from 31/12 to 3/1 was cold and miserable. Then the next few weeks we had some really hot days, high 30's and one day was 40, and some storms in the evening. Nothing that would make me miss a gamedrive, that is for sure!

Purple - I have a Panasonic FZ 30. I book directly with MalaMala reservation office as currently that is the only place I am going now, I go back by myself in March then with another niece in Dec/Jan at the end of the year.

Johan - as you seem to understand, the longer you are in one spot, generally, the more you are going to see. I was at MalaMala 18 nights this trip, next time it will be 25 nights and I cannot wait!

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM

H Kaye
Some lovely Leopard portraits ;-)
Tell me, is Courteney still one of the Guides @ LS? We spent an interesting 5 nights there @ Ivory Lodge (+ 5 nights @ Leopard Hills) back in Sept '04 on our honeymoon.
Unfortunately no Wild Dogs back then :-\ ,
however watching a herd of 50+ Ele's bathing in the Sabie R. on our back verandah from our &quot;Finfoot&quot; room was a real highlight.
Cheers
Marc
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM

OH MY, I got chills looking at your photos (and the super bowl is on) They are amazing. Thank you for sharing - cannot wait for my trip. D.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
santharamhari

Dana,

The superbowl is full of fumbles...both teams look shaky....

Hari

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi Marc,

Yes Courteney is still a ranger, and was again my ranger for the 2nd year, as was Raymond the tracker. Both wonderful people and a great team, which I love to see!

We saw lion and ele from our back deck, though unfortunately both were in Kruger National Park, and one lunchtime, the 2 lionesses set up an ambush on impala, but it was not a success for the lionesses!

I was delighted with the Wild Dog sightings we had - we saw them sleep, hunt, rest and play!

Kind regards,

Kaye

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -